Google Tells Cities To Greet Google Fiber With Open Arms Or 'Enjoy Your Time Warner Cable'

Google-Fiber-Plans.png

I don't disagree with the attitude Google has, though they might be going a little too aggressively in how they want a municipality to accept it or get lost. Though, if I'm honest, I don't see why a municipality would said no to embracing competition in the marketplace, cause competition is hardly a bad thing. 

What’s frosting Google Fiber is that even the cities that are glad to receive Google Fiber are making the process slow by being inflexible when it comes to red tape. In particular, Google Fiber feels that it’s too cool for fax machines, which are a staple of city bureaucracies. Given Google’s role in shaping technology, it’s not surprising that it would balk at the idea of faxing documents, but the “take it or leave it” attitude is bad news for citizens who want the high speed broadband. 

Medin is showing no mercy, though. “If you make it easy, we will come,” he said at the conference in Washington, D.C., according to Gigaom.  “If you make hard, enjoy your Time Warner Cable.” Pow! You know your customer satisfaction record could use some improvement when others companies are using you as a threat. 

http://hothardware.com/News/google-tells-cities-to-greet-google-fiber-with-open-arms-or-enjoy-your-time-warner-cable

how fast is google fiber? and how much will it cost?

1 Gbps up and down

down 1000Mbps up 1000Mbps for $70. half ninjaed 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

About 100-200x the speed of where I live  :(

It's 1 gigabit for $60/mo

Woo!

They have packages that are 100Mbps and 1Gbps. Cost is somewhere in the $70-$120 USD range.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Y U NO Canada/Egypt

Neither has the amount of dark fiber just laying around that the US does, nor the money US consumers do.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

About 100-200x the speed of where I live  :(

It's 1 gigabit for $60/mo

100-200x isn't that bad, its actually over 1000x what people get in my area.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They have packages that are 100Mbps and 1Gbps. Cost is somewhere in the $70-$120 USD range.

the $120 one comes with TV too and they also have a free service (has a one time $300, can be $25 over 12 months, install fee) for 5Mbps down 1Mbps up

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Good for google, someone needs to kick municipalities, corporations, and government in the ass and get them to get with the times. I can tell you one thing, the state government here in VA has an absolute CRAP service that charges a fuckload too much.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Neither has the amount of dark fiber just laying around that the US does, nor the money US consumers do.

Certain locations definitely have the dark fibre needed for deployment. Toronto, ON, for example, is one of the largest cities in North America (52nd largest city in the World). It certainly has the dark fibre necessary. As would likely some of the other large cities in Canada, such as Vancouver and Montreal.

Most of Canada is consolidated into urban cities, so Google Fiber focusing in the big cities would be pretty cost effective (No one expects Joe-Blow nowhere town to get Google Fiber).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Certain locations definitely have the dark fibre needed for deployment. Toronto, ON, for example, is one of the largest cities in North America (52nd largest city in the World). It certainly has the dark fibre necessary. As would likely some of the other large cities in Canada, such as Vancouver and Montreal.

Most of Canada is consolidated into urban cities, so Google Fiber focusing in the big cities would be pretty cost effective (No one expects Joe-Blow nowhere town to get Google Fiber).

You'd be surprised. If the money was there, Google would have already moved in. So, either the canadian government is in the way, or there is no dark fiber in large enough quantities to warrant moving in, requiring Google to lay fiber themselves.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I get the message, loud and clear, but I don't think I was their audience.  The attitude and approach they have is sort of bizarre.  When making broad, public statements like "take it or leave it" makes you wonder who they're trying to strong arm here...  like we wouldn't like access to Google's fiber!?  

I understand that Google is fed up with resistance, but what do they want us to do...?  Grab a pitchfork and stab our town halls fax machines to death!?

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

I live very close to Kansas City. Have heard some good thing about it though, just wish they'd move it over to Leavenworth.

I'm getting sick of Time Warner, they dominate where I live and it's the only service provider I can get. 3MB down on rare occasions and constant disconnects and throttling. Makes it almost impossible to have a good game session on multiplayer based games like Battlefield (Why doesn't Battlefield no longer have AI conquest offline?! Bunch of scrubs taken over Battlefield series damnit).

Anyway, hope I'll get it soon. I'm tired of punching walls over this shitty internet.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

you mind quickly explaining to me what dark fibre is? I keep hearing it every once in a while

you mind quickly explaining to me what dark fibre is? I keep hearing it every once in a while

1. Dark fiber refers to unused fiber-optic cable. Often times companies lay more lines than what's needed in order to curb costs of having to do it again and again. The dark strands can be leased to individuals or other companies who want to establish optical connections among their own locations.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Or 5 MBPS for free as well (per month, you need to pay some for installation)

Thats 600x better than my internet right now.

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

Or 5 MBPS for free as well (per month, you need to pay some for installation)

Thats 600x better than my internet right now.

5Mb/s, not 5MB/s (40Mb/s); if it was 5MB/s free then you can bet that 

A. many more people would be moving to places with Google fiber

and

B.more people would opt for the free plan. 

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

and

Sorry its just my nature of writing with all caps when it comes to stuff like this :P

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

and

I doubt people would move from their houses to get free internet lol. (Which isn't free w/ the installation fee.)

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

My arms are open, google... come to me!!!

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I doubt people would move from their houses to get free internet lol. (Which isn't free w/ the installation fee.)

To be fair, the SERVICE is free. The cost is for infrastructure, which everyone pays for, even if you never get cable service if your house has coax in the walls and cable to the pole you already paid for the infrastructure in the cost of the house or lease.