Tim Cook: threat of terrorism should not scaremonger citizens into giving up their privacy

Overl0rd

post-621-0-40318700-1425119993.png

The chief executive of Apple is a radical privacy advocate and was on the last leg of a trip to Europe and Israel where he discussed this issue extensively.

In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, Cook said that it is clear that there are many instances of people’s information being “trafficked around” and that this is something his company abhorred.

"At the moment, however, consumers often “don’t fully understand what is going on", he added. "One day they will, and will be very offended.”
But it soon becomes clear that Cook’s commitment is sincere; Apple’s views on the subject stand in stark contrast to the position taken by Facebook and most other US tech giants, which are much more relaxed about these issues. It is also entirely at odds with the position adopted by David Cameron and most governments around the world, who believe that they need ever-increasing monitoring powers to combat crime and terror, dismissing the concerns of civil libertarians.

Cook disagrees fundamentally. “None of us should accept that the government or a company or anybody should have access to all of our private information. This is a basic human right. We all have a right to privacy. We shouldn't give it up. We shouldn't give in to scare-mongering or to people who fundamentally don’t understand the details.”

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11441265/Terrorists-should-be-eliminated-says-Apples-Tim-Cook.html

post-621-0-40318700-1425119993.png

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

whenever i read something about apple and privacy somewhere in my mind Jennifer Lawrence pops up......... :P

Okaaay then... :P

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

That's the only thing you can't trash apple on, they respect and try to ensure user privacy more that any other company

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I hate to say it but,

.....well done sir, well done.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

whenever i read something about apple and privacy somewhere in my mind Jennifer Lawrence pops up......... :P

It wasn't a security flaw, it was apparently a brute force attack cause she used a 123456-type password

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Although I don't use Apple product. However I do applause Mr. Tim Cook, who takes a stand and speaks the truth. 

why do I get the vibe that when he says someday consumers will understand he think's he better than everyone who buys an apple product?????????

bish pls go to church or something

edit- 

-snip-
Edited by colonel_mortis
Removed off topic content

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

If it wasn't for cost, I'd have an iphone 6 just because of apple's support of personal privacy, Mr Cook is really showing himself and his company in good light, so long may it continue.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I might even consider using apple because this. hmm. for now I will just applaud Cook.

The fact that Tim Cook and Apple really care about their users privacy instead of trying to collect as much data on them as possible, is the best thing about Apple.

although he is right, i can't keep from taking this statement with a grain of salt, since it's coming from the apple ceo....

Xeon E3-1231-v3 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro // Asus Z97AR // XFX RX 480 GTR

Not something really new. Apple's care for privacy and their subsequent uselessness to pathetic intelligence agencies have been known among tech enthusiasts for some time now ...

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

It wasn't a security flaw, it was apparently a brute force attack cause she used a 123456-type password

It was a security flaw. They forgot to implement brute force protection on one login service and someone exploited that.

It was a security flaw. They forgot to implement brute force protection on one login service and someone exploited that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have 2-way authentification, and people don't bother to activate it

But yeah, I guess you are right

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have 2-way authentification, and people don't bother to activate it

But yeah, I guess you are right

They didn't have 2-factor on ALL aspects of iCloud services like they do now. Only certain parts of iCloud access were 2-factored. I think now, no matter where you try to log into a new device you have to give a generated code (sent by text or sent directly to a authorized device) or you have to use a one time use security key. 

They didn't have 2-factor on ALL aspects of iCloud services like they do now. Only certain parts of iCloud access were 2-factored. I think now, no matter where you try to log into a new device you have to give a generated code (sent by text or sent directly to a authorized device) or you have to use a one time use security key. 

Oh. Well on the plus side, people got that they shouldn't put nudes pics and sex tapes on iCloud.

He only says that after people's privacy was compromised anyway on icloud.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

For those who use the night theme :

The chief executive of Apple is a radical privacy advocate and was on the last leg of a trip to Europe and Israel where he discussed this issue extensively.

In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, Cook said that it is clear that there are many instances of people’s information being “trafficked around” and that this is something his company abhorred.

"At the moment, however, consumers often “don’t fully understand what is going on", he added. "One day they will, and will be very offended.”

But it soon becomes clear that Cook’s commitment is sincere; Apple’s views on the subject stand in stark contrast to the position taken by Facebook and most other US tech giants, which are much more relaxed about these issues. It is also entirely at odds with the position adopted by David Cameron and most governments around the world, who believe that they need ever-increasing monitoring powers to combat crime and terror, dismissing the concerns of civil libertarians.

Cook disagrees fundamentally. “None of us should accept that the government or a company or anybody should have access to all of our private information. This is a basic human right. We all have a right to privacy. We shouldn't give it up. We shouldn't give in to scare-mongering or to people who fundamentally don’t understand the details.”

you-are-my-hero.jpg

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Nice PR spin, makes him out to be a good guy, however he is in charge of one of, if not the world richest companies, what are they doing about it? Throw some money in the ring otherwise it's all lip service.

I see so many people on here say they don't care because they have nothing to hide, maybe this will make those people wake the f**k up! Good on you apple!

Nice PR spin, makes him out to be a good guy, however he is in charge of one of, if not the world richest companies, what are they doing about it? Throw some money in the ring otherwise it's all lip service.

They encrypt their smartphones and tablets by default, and judging by the FBI's reaction they aren't giving anyone access to the encrypted data. They aren't doing a lot as far as I can tell, but they are doing some good things.

The only thing anyone from Apple has said that I like and can agree with.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL