Is the GTX 960 a good 1080p60 card?

cab11150904

I'm not asking for suggestions for better cards or to be told that AMD has better options. I just want to know if the 960 will run newer and 2013/2014 AAA titles at high at least at 60fps. My understanding is it's just below a 770 but I'd like to be using Maxwell and its a lot cheaper. I'm in the US.

I'm not asking for suggestions for better cards or to be told that AMD has better options. I just want to know if the 960 will run newer and 2013/2014 AAA titles at high at least at 60fps. My understanding is it's just below a 770 but I'd like to be using Maxwell and its a lot cheaper. I'm in the US.

The GTX 960 was BUILT for 1080p resolutions.

Many reviewers have come to this conclusion in their 'final thoughts'

Keep in mind most reviewers use 4xMSAA and Maximum details in game, you could no doubt get more out of your card at 1080p if using 2xMSAA instead of 4xMSAA and such other changes to bring performance back up.

Read many reviews, find the last page/conclusion.

I believe myself it's close to or around this kind of performance comparison - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1041?vs=1037

If you need more, then buy faster, if this is fast enough, then go with it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yes, turn of __AA and it'll run games at 60fps maxed out at 1080p. However, you can get GTX 770's and 680's (same cards) for ~$150 - ~$200.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

It's a decent 1080p60fps card, but sometimes doesn't quite reach the 60 fps (I believe it gets 55fps average on Crysis 3).

I'm sorry, but I still have to suggest a GPU with more VRAM like a 280X :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yes it will run them great m8 or you can get a 780

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

It's essentially a 770 in terms of performance, more or less.

So yes, it's an okay card for 1080p. Don't expect to max out everything and keep 60fps though.

sorta, it can run things well, but it performs near the same of a 660ti.

a 280(x) can be found for cheap(er) and perform better. if you can i would suggest saving up a bit more, because a 290 is slightly more than a 960

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I actually own a GTX 760 which has about the same performance as the 960...give or take a few frames, and it does allow Max 60FPS on many games, but on modern AAA titles such as Dying Light I have to turn down the settings a fair bit to achieve 60FPS. But overall its a fantastic card for the money :)

Yeah, it's designed for 1080p. may I ask what is wrong with AMD?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I actually own a GTX 760 which has about the same performance as the 960...give or take a few frames, and it does allow Max 60FPS on many games, but on modern AAA titles such as Dying Light I have to turn down the settings a fair bit to achieve 60FPS. But overall its a fantastic card for the money :)

Not a bad bit of kit though..

260x ftw - :)

I'm turning games shadows down or ambient occ,.. has helped my 260x shine in titles I thought would be horrible to play on it, and still the games look nice.

/In regards to World of Tanks which I'm currently playing :), Lighting quality = Ultra = 42fps, turn it to minimum-medium lighting (and you cannot even tell difference much) and boom... 58-62fps!

Some games also have ONE particular setting 'sometimes' that gives a lot more performance back than others (like MSAA), sometimes the difference in image quality isn't even seen.

Tweaking is Love, Tweaking is Life

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

No you can't simply because I never said that there was anything wrong with AMD. I just asked a specific question and wanted to avoid the inevitable but muh amdz.

And THAT,.. is how you handle the inevitable!

Gatsby-Leo-Glass.jpg

Not a bad bit of kit though..

260x ftw - :)

I'm turning games shadows down or ambient occ,.. has helped my 260x shine in titles I thought would be horrible to play on it, and still the games look nice.

/In regards to World of Tanks which I'm currently playing :), Lighting quality = Ultra = 42fps, turn it to minimum-medium lighting (and you cannot even tell difference much) and boom... 58-62fps!

Some games also have ONE particular setting 'sometimes' that gives a lot more performance back than others (like MSAA), sometimes the difference in image quality isn't even seen.

Tweaking is Love, Tweaking is Life

Yeah when im too lazy to play with setting I just use Nvidia's optimization setting in GeForce Experience, it actually work pretty well...If your lazy enough to use it haha, but yeah generally im into Tweaking quite a bit because you can learn more ;)

Nvidia-GTX-960-Battle-Field-4-Benchmark.

No you can't simply because I never said that there was anything wrong with AMD. I just asked a specific question and wanted to avoid the inevitable but muh amdz.

^^ well, the title says "is it a GOOD 1080p card". A card is good if it's priced well for the performance it offers. And your OP kind of implied you didn't want AMD for some reason, a misunderstanding on my part. I still did include the direct answer, I don't see anything wrong with recommending something else after that ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah my 760 usually gets around 50 in Battlefield 4

The 960 performs better than that, which is why I linked it. So it's more along the lines of a 770 in terms of performance.

Well to answer your very specific question:

It Depends

If you want to max out settings while keeping 1080p60? Nope. Get a GTX 970 or something else. Will you be playing 2015+ AAA games? Nope, same.

However, if you're willing to reduce settings to High, or in newer AAA games, possibly even down as far as Medium, then sure, it'll be fine.

I must agree with many other posters though, a 280/280x/285 would likely be a better choice. The higher VRAM on the 280/280x will be really nice for newer AAA games that start to include higher texture detail, etc.

But in the end, the answer to your question depends on what detail settings you expect to use.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The 960 performs better than that, which is why I linked it. So it's more along the lines of a 770 in terms of performance.

Huh I didnt know that, from Linus's video I saw it kinda performed in between 760-770 performance, (generally closer to the 760), and it's the same principal for the most part, hes gonna have to turn down settings in modern games to achieve 60FPS, just like me with my 760 ;)

yes, but you'd want to go witha  r9 280, considering price/performance.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link