​LG is Building a Smartwatch With An Enormous Battery

g3rgk9hzgzahxsu8qpnt.gif

LG just made a smart watch that solves perhaps one of the bigger issues with smart watches - the battery. This time by doing the easy thing and straight up doubling the battery size while introducing a slightly redone design with some more buttons and a LTE abilities as well. 

Since this doesn't use Android Wear, there is a chance (is there any chance at all LG, please say so) that this could work on all platforms with some form of companion app a la the Pebble and MS Band. I hope they do, because I like that watch design a lot. @LinusTech, get your hands on one of these? 

Yes, I know that name sounds familiar, but try to forget about it. Despite sharing an almost identical name with LG's (also recently announced) LG Watch Urbane, the LTE model is a completely different wearable. It has more buttons. It uses LG's custom Wearable Platform OS instead of Android Wear. There's a heart rate monitor, NFC support (for mobile payments) and apps for golfing (how's your swing?), hiking and cycling. It has a huge 700mAh battery—almost doubling the power stores of every other smartwatch out there. The name is confusing and awful, but it actually sounds like a pretty good timepiece.

At least the name calls attention to one of its main features: LTE support. The new Urbane can make and answer calls, handle text messaging and even supports push-to-talk on some carriers. There's a discreet "panic button" too: holding down the third button on the watch's side will automatically call a pre-set emergency number and transmit your location. Neat.

inpqdzef3vgq85lkxhl1.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/lg-is-building-a-smartwatch-with-an-enormous-battery-1688258429

Holy shit, this just makes me love LG's smartwatch division more. It's like they know exactly what I want.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

i think flexible battery's need to be made for smart watches so they can be moved towards the band

g3rgk9hzgzahxsu8qpnt.gif

LG just made a smart watch that solves perhaps one of the bigger issues with smart watches - the battery. This time by doing the easy thing and straight up doubling the battery size while introducing a slightly redone design with some more buttons and a LTE abilities as well. 

Since this doesn't use Android Wear, there is a chance (is there any chance at all LG, please say so) that this could work on all platforms with some form of companion app a la the Pebble and MS Band. I hope they do, because I like that watch design a lot. @LinusTech, get your hands on one of these? 

http://gizmodo.com/lg-is-building-a-smartwatch-with-an-enormous-battery-1688258429

Looks cheap and tacky. Cant imagine many people buying this.

i think flexible battery's need to be made for smart watches so they can be moved towards the band

But if they put them in the band (a reasonable idea in some manner) then you lose the ability that half of the smartwatches have already, and that's the ability to use a standard watch band with it. As for towards the band, that may work.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

But if they put them in the band (a reasonable idea in some manner) then you lose the ability that half of the smartwatches have already, and that's the ability to use a standard watch band with it. As for towards the band, that may work.

Could you imagine if someone managed to license Citizen's EcoDrive tech and make it fit within the casing of a current SmartWatch? A battery to drive Smartwatch functions AND the EcoDrive to perhaps drive only the display AND continuously charge the battery throughout the day? 

Could you imagine if someone managed to license Citizen's EcoDrive tech and make it fit within the casing of a current SmartWatch? A battery to drive Smartwatch functions AND the EcoDrive to perhaps drive only the display AND continuously charge the battery throughout the day? 

can-i-touch-it.jpg

can-i-touch-it.jpg

Only the tip. 

Sadly, Citizen won't let that out of their hands no matter what. Someone will have to straight up buy their entire company just to get at that tech. 

Why can't we have watches like this? Replace analog watch with a screen, make it a bit taller, insert a bigger battery, here you have a watch with style, tech and you can knock someone out with itRolex_Cosmograph_Daytona_Platinum_angle_

Smart watches are looking more like actual watches. Nice.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Smart watches are looking more like actual watches. Nice.

Maybe because they are actual watches, only smarter? :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.