I Got Assaulted... Should I Press Charges Or No?

Snapy1

Please, OP, go to your local police station and ask (you don't have to give them any information). Please do not listen to people online about legal shit.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I also feel the need to post this, as it has not been mentioned. I don't think anyone has mentioned the possibility that if you want to fight this kid, there is the very real possibility that you are going to get your ass smacked around all over again.

theres a high possibility your advice sucks

Dude is a Narc in training and I don't think he did the wrong thing about telling the cops. I don't think you should press charges either. Just kick his ass after school. Then plant some drugs on him and call the cops. lol like in the movies.

I never said that. I was never here. :ph34r:

Oh did I mention the only reason he's narking on people is so he will get off probation a couple weeks early. 

Please, OP, go to your local police station and ask (you don't have to give them any information). Please do not listen to people online about legal shit.

Trust me I'm a lawyer!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I agree with you 100%, but I don't think thats what Epicgeekonfire meant, from what he said, i gather that he meant the kid who ratted out OP's friends was actually in a way right, and OP is defending his friends, which is not a right thing to do. 

From what he said, I can't tell where you got the idea that he meant that the "rat" was right to assault him

I know this. But all of what he (Epicgeek) said was completely irrelevant. Assault is assault. What the circumstances were (in this case) really don't matter. OP didn't ask for moral advice about who his friends should be, and it shouldn't really matter to anyone.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I agree with you 100%, but I don't think thats what Epicgeekonfire meant, from what he said, i gather that he meant the kid who ratted out OP's friends was actually in a way right, and OP is defending his friends, which is not a right thing to do. 

From what he said, I can't tell where you got the idea that he meant that the "rat" was right to assault him

Oh did I mention the only reason he's narking on people is so he will get off probation a couple weeks early. 

I know this. But all of what he (Epicgeek) said was completely irrelevant. Assault is assault. What the circumstances were (in this case) really don't matter. OP didn't ask for moral advice about who his friends should be, and it shouldn't really matter to anyone.

thankyou

Ah okay, I understand now. 

I think this is something OP has to think and decide carefully. If he presses charges, his friends could get in trouble, which while it may be oaky for OP, if he's loyal to his friends, it would be very bad. 

Now the other way, if he doesnt press charges and stays away from the situation, the rat could take advantage of him (may think he's scared for friends) and take another step that could be bad for him and his friends..

It's very complicated and @OP is kinda in the middle of it

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

theres a high possibility your advice sucks

How does my advice suck? Buddy just got his ass kicked, and people are recommending he goes and kicks the shit out of him back. I don't know how many that are giving said advice have actually been in, or witnessed a fight, but it usually ends up with one party really hurting. And so far, the odds are really against this kid. It would be really bad if he decided to go kick this guys ass, and it just resulted in his ass getting kicked again.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

damn lawyers thinking they know things

Merica'

Except I'm not a lawyer. 

I'm a shareholder trader. 

Seriously though OP don't get tangled up in legal mess. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Well press charges against him now! If he's already a known criminal the police will send him to jail or you will get a good chunk of money. 

ok with your injuries he may get charged with battery as well as assault or attempt to cause bodily harm something like that. to press charges i would if i were you assault is assault theirs no excuse for harming someone so that means do not have your friends try and get "payback" be mature about it and take it to the police.

askdjfasdf

Figures.

Trust me I'm a lawyer!

Lol Fred I never knew.

Except I'm no a lawyer. 

I'm a shareholder trader. 

Seriously though OP don't get tangled up in legal mess. 

Fred be like I'm a shareholder trader now. Fred switches jobs on the go. What will Fred be next?  lol

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Wait..

I didn't know he's on probation. Just some questions

1. What is he like, is he really temperamental and touchy? If you do press charges, what do you imagine will happen to you, and him?

2. If you press charges and the rat mentions the drugs, (Im guessing drugs are worse than assault?) you and your friends could be in deep trouble

2a. If he did happen to mention drugs, and your friends get in trouble, but you don't, will ur friends turn their backs against you?

Also, what do your parents say? I think their opinion is also valuable in this situation if possible

I agree that justice must be served etc. But things could get really messy if anyone says the wrong thing or takes the wrong step, personally, i'd just keep the trouble within the school, maybe just inform someone at school that you'd like to stay out of legal trouble, and maybe see if he could just get severe detention. Do his parents know this happened?

@Snapy1

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Ah okay, I understand now. 

I think this is something OP has to think and decide carefully. If he presses charges, his friends could get in trouble, which while it may be oaky for OP, if he's loyal to his friends, it would be very bad. 

Now the other way, if he doesnt press charges and stays away from the situation, the rat could take advantage of him (may think he's scared for friends) and take another step that could be bad for him and his friends..

It's very complicated and @OP is kinda in the middle of it

Excellent and very accurate observation. Heres a cookie :P 

How do you know he's not? Why do you assume he couldn't be or isn't exactly that?

Because in 2014 roughly 35% of kids (us) admitted to using weed atleast once. That doesn't count any other type of illicit drug, or any type of physical conflict. Now I'm willing to bet that very, very few of those kids became career criminals.

Does OP really look like a criminal? Does he look like the type of person to fall into some sort of deep, dark, life of crime? No.

He looks like every other white, middle class 15 year old kid out there. I'm willing to bet the odds are ever in his favor.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Ok I forgot to put my typical response.

Here it goes. LinusLegalTips

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Wait..

1. What is he like, is he really temperamental and touchy? If you do press charges, what do you imagine will happen to you, and him?

2. If you press charges and the rat mentions the drugs, (Im guessing drugs are worse than assault?) you and your friends could be in deep trouble

2a. If he did happen to mention drugs, and your friends get in trouble, but you don't, will ur friends turn their backs against you?

Also, what do your parents say? I think their opinion is also valuable in this situation if possible

My dad says its up to me sooo yeahh, he didn't really ask questions just asked what happened and if I'm alright. My dad's one of those people where he minds people's business & respects it unless they ask him for advice or if its involving him in anyway (which it isn't). 

My dad says its up to me sooo yeahh, he didn't really ask questions just asked what happened and if I'm alright. My dad's one of those people where he minds people's business & respects it unless they ask him for advice or if its involving him in anyway (which it isn't). 

little extra edit ;D

I agree that justice must be served etc. But things could get really messy if anyone says the wrong thing or takes the wrong step, personally, i'd just keep the trouble within the school, maybe just inform someone at school that you'd like to stay out of legal trouble, and maybe see if he could just get severe detention. Do his parents know this happened?

Wait..

Yeah he has a really short temper (and doesnt know how to fight, hence the pussy scratches). 

Honestly, my friends are probably going to kick his ass one way or the other because when he ratted on my friends he also ratted on theres. 

Nah my friends wont turn their backs against me. 

Because in 2014 roughly 35% of kids (us) admitted to using weed atleast once. That doesn't count any other type of illicit drug, or any type of physical conflict. Now I'm willing to bet that very, very few of those kids became career criminals.

Does OP really look like a criminal? Does he look like the type of person to fall into some sort of deep, dark, life of crime? No.

He looks like every other white, middle class 15 year old kid out there. I'm willing to bet the odds are ever in his favor.

But none of that means he's not a career criminal in embryo; all it means is that there's a good chance that a lot of kids who get mixed up in that kind of stuff won't end up repeat offenders.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Yeah he has a really short temper (and doesnt know how to fight, hence the pussy scratches). 

Honestly, my friends are probably going to kick his ass one way or the other because when he ratted on my friends he also ratted on theres. 

Nah my friends wont turn their backs against me. 

Well still, my opinion stands, it's hard to deal with these kinds of people, and sometimes, he could cause major trouble for you and maybe even ruin ur life (much dramatic) some way

Figures.

Lol Fred I never knew.

Fred be like I'm a shareholder trader now. Fred switches jobs on the go. What will Fred be next?  lol

I'm whatever I want to be. 

And what I want to be for the foreseeable future is a trader.

Dang... my opinion here of course but I feel like he should pay more attention to his son's day to day life. Especially something like this.