Crazy high CPU temps in an OPEN case

DomDom3333

So i thought id play some Battlefield 4. That didn't go well. I blue screened 3 times. i decided to check my temps and i was idling at 70C!!!!!!!

i have no idea why. Using the stock cooler at the moment with 4 corsair 120mm AF fans blowing right at it and i've already taken the sidepannel off and its still at 70. I'm not running any demanding program, just sitting on my desktop. GPU temps are fine so its just the CPU. I dont know whats wrong. Please help!

Main System Specs:

i7 4790k

GTX 980 HOF

16GB Corsair Dominator 2133MHz

1000W Fractal design Platinum+ PSU (i know its a lot. Planning on expansion)

EDIT: Fixed Rainmeter refresh rate and took it down to 55. Tried BF4. Still overheat and blue screen

Any help is appreciated. Thanx in advance

How is 70 crazy high. That's normal.

EDIT: on idle... try reseating your cooler with new thermal compound.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

So i thought id play some Battlefield 4. That didn't go well. I blue screened 3 times. i decided to check my temps and i was idling at 70C!!!!!!!

i have no idea why. Using the stock cooler at the moment with 4 corsair 120mm AF fans blowing right at it and i've already taken the sidepannel off and its still at 70. I'm not running any demanding program, just sitting on my desktop. GPU temps are fine so its just the CPU. I dont know whats wrong. Please help!

Main System Specs:

i7 4790k

GTX 980 HOF

A stock cooler just can't keep an i7 cool even with 100 fans just replace it nothing else you can do.

A stock cooler just can't keep an i7 cool even with 100 fans just replace it nothing else you can do.

That's not true. The stock cooler is able to cool all of Intel's CPU as long as they're within stock clock.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

70C on idle? that cant be right. I had 40-50 on exact same setup with exact same cooler. After the bluescreen in battlefield, its now at 70. Something must have changed

Build a look or get an XSPC kit "I'll take that over ANY aio coolers". 

Just blowing fans at it is not cooling it, the heat is rising but not cooling fast enough.  

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

That's not true. The stock cooler is able to cool all of Intel's CPU as long as they're within stock clock.

Its Stock clock. Stock everything in my system. Im not crazy enough to OC on stock

It cools them it makes sure it won't catch fire but that's it

Thats not true. Ive had 40 on idle for the last 2-3 weeks since i built the thing

70c would not cause a blue screen, that CPU won't shut down the PC until it reaches 105c

I was playing BF4 when i Blue screened. Must have heated it up enough

You're ignorant if you think the stock cooler can't even cool it to decent temperatures. Even on a stock cooler, a intel 5960x will have 30-40 on idle. loads should go up to about 70-90 depending on your ambient temperature. The stock cooler is perfectly capable of cooling. The OP's issue, there's obviously something wrong. 

Thats not true. Ive had 40 on idle for the last 2-3 weeks since i built the thing

I would try taking off the cooler, wiping off the old thermal compound, and then reapply new thermal compound. That might fix the issue. 

Ok. so i was messing with processes and i was messing with Rainmeter and as it turns out, The audio visualizer was refreshing every 1ms. so even though it wasn't my top process it cause that heat. its now down to 58. steam also took 3C off when i closed that. its not cool but its better i guess

You're ignorant if you think the stock cooler can't even cool it to decent temperatures. Even on a stock cooler, a intel 5960x will have 30-40 on idle. loads should go up to about 70-90 depending on your ambient temperature. The stock cooler is perfectly capable of cooling. The OP's issue, there's obviously something wrong. 

i'm not ignorant used tons of stockcoolers before and with different pastes, it will work for normal use but will easily hit 80 ish under load.

i'm not ignorant used tons of stockcoolers before and with different pastes, it will work for normal use but will easily hit 80 ish under load.

80 isn't high. That's normal operation temperatures. Therefore, you just proved my point, the stock cooler is a capable cooler at stock speeds. It just happens to be really loud.

80 isn't high. That's normal operation temperatures. Therefore, you just proved my point, the stock cooler is a capable cooler at stock speeds. It just happens to be really loud.

80 isn't really good for the lifespan of the cpu itself and it will reach higher than 80 in heavy tasks or hot days.

80 isn't really good for the lifespan of the cpu itself and it will reach higher than 80 in heavy tasks or hot days.

until the CPU reaches 100+ its nothing to fuss about.

until the CPU reaches 100+ its nothing to fuss about.

Go ahead and let it run above 80 it will throttle mate.

Main System Specs:

i7 4790k

GTX 980 HOF

EDIT: Fixed Rainmeter refresh rate and took it down to 55. Tried BF4. Still overheat and blue screen

I would recommend you to purchase All-in-one liquid cooling solution ASAP, stock coolers are sux.

If I remember correctly, stock cooler is pushing air toward the cpu, the waste heat from your 980 might directly blow to the cpu, causing present of the high CPU temperature.

Finally, if you are not going to replace your stock cooler in a short time, please double check the stock cooler is fully contact the cpu with appropriate amount of thermal paste.

BTW, blue screen might caused by bad contact of the hardwares on the board, you might want to re-plug everything to secure the connections. I has BSOD with a code 00000019 something like that, I re-plug my RAMs and the problem is solved.

Hope this help.

CPU:FX-9590  MOBO:Crosshair V Formula Z GPU:780 Ti 3-way SLI   PSU:Corsair AX1200i   RAM:HyperX Fury

Main System Specs:

i7 4790k

GTX 980 HOF

Got the same problem when i build one with this processor.

At first don't remove entirely the cooler, turn off your computer and check the rear side of your mobo to see if the cooler is correctly in place there 4 plastic bounds that you can see if it's correct if not you don't put the cooler correctly so remove it and reapply it correctly when it's in place don't forget to gentle move the cooler from left to right for have a great thermal paste apply.

If you still continue to get this temp just remove and clean the old thermal paste on the CPU and the cooler and then reapply a new that the only solution as work for me. 

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

@DomDom3333 Go into your BIOS and make sure that the voltage isn't crazy high. Sometimes mobo manufacturers auto set the voltages high even when not overclocked. Set it to the stock voltage of your cpu.

Yeah and be carefull cause you could see that sometimes in the BIOS the voltage is always high that cause a wrong temp read cause of the all time high frequency set.

I've got this problem on a Gigabyte Z97 even with BIOS update so read temps in OS with Third parties software like HW Monitor would give you a more accuracy sometimes.

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

Yeah and be carefull cause you could see that sometimes in the BIOS the voltage is always high that cause a wrong temp read cause of the all time high frequency set.

I've got this problem on a Gigabyte Z97 even with BIOS update so read temps in OS with Third parties software like HW Monitor would give you a more accuracy sometimes.

Yep. The SOC FORCE mobo sets voltage at like 1.36 volts and then over clocks it by like 100 mhz, automatically, the first time you turn it on. WTF.

Go ahead and let it run above 80 it will throttle mate.

Throttle? At 80? Go Google the information please.