Biggest Computer Disasters?

Title says it all, 

Mine would be trying to take off  a large CPU air cooler and having the whole CPU chip coming out of the socket (Yes the cpu was latched down)

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

I caught my finger in a stock amd cooler. That hurt.

Nothing too bad happened to me but my grandma tripped on her laptop altough I told her to never lay it on the floor. Screen was shattered and could be easily replaced

That time I deleted a .dll off of my moms laptop to make room to install the sims (can't remember which one, but it was WAY back before the sims 2).

I knew nothing about computers, it bricked the laptop to the point the IT store couldn't fix it apparently.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Dropped cola over the keyboard. Don't even bother to clean it. That won't come off  :ph34r:

Irrevocably corrupted the data on all my hard drives, including my backups. Six years of accumulated media and files down the drain in one fell swoop.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

Irrevocably corrupted the data on all my hard drives, including my backups. Six years of accumulated media and files down the drain in one fell swoop.

Same here.

Hm.... trusting my dad to keep my 760K safe. He decided the box was to bulky so he took it out of the packaging. Pins bent and broken, it was a disaster. 

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Just... You know.... Got my fucking hand stuck here when my computer was in a shitty Rosewill Redbone with a cross threaded stand off and that requires holding it with pliers to remove the motherboard and I didn't have the time... So I just installed the cooler.

2NZ4eYJ.jpg

Owwwwww (It actually didn't hurt)

RuFqAq8.jpg

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I caught my finger in a stock amd cooler. That hurt.

I know that feel.. fx 8350 on full load can slice your hand off..

MB dropped from shelf... 2m...

Poor thing, was it totaled?

That time I deleted a .dll off of my moms laptop to make room to install the sims (can't remember which one, but it was WAY back before the sims 2).

I knew nothing about computers, it bricked the laptop to the point the IT store couldn't fix it apparently.

Thats nuts!  .dll deletion = magnet over harddrive apparently.. 

Hm.... trusting my dad to keep my 760K safe. He decided the box was to bulky so he took it out of the packaging. Pins bent and broken, it was a disaster. 

I would have cried for the rest of my life.

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

I know that feel.. fx 8350 on full load can slice your hand off..

Poor thing, was it totaled?

Thats nuts!  .dll deletion = magnet over harddrive apparently.. 

I would have cried for the rest of my life.

Yeah it was nuts, for whatever reason, they couldn't even wipe the HDD and replace the OS, whatever I deleted, basically made the HDD useless and it had to be replaced entirely.

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 (size: 'desktop') and I accidentally pushed it, and it fell... I heard boom and thought shit. Luckily it fell on the side where also some rubber things were, and it didn't care lol :D. It's only like 12 cm wide, and pretty tall, so very easy to topple over :/

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I dropped a heatsink on the backplate of my gpu, left quite a nasty scratch on the brushed aluminum.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

deleting a .dll file CAN NOT brick a computer. Something else happened.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Grounding failed in my wall socket, don't know when. Some time later, power surge. Happens all the time...come home and clocks are blinking. No bigs right, just power on again, right? Wrong. Blue sparks, smell of burning plastic.

No better excuse in the world to do a new build, though.

using my old laptop as a beer coaster is up there.. seeing an entire pint dissappear through the keyboard and out the bottom..

next is probably when I set my gpu on fire stress testing an overclock while I was afk...

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I never really had anything devastating happen to one of my pcs yet, I only broke off a part of the pcie lock when installing my gpu (it still locks anyway).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Let my mother use my desktop. She ended up getting a virus that deleted the path to every program I had installed and I slowly lost access to everything.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

A couple years ago I thought I was being smart and took the ram out of my old pc and put it back in again. I booted it up again about a month later, I was using a newer mac instead, and it gave me an error screen. My dad brought it to get repaired for a free "diagnosis". It turned out that I hadn't put my ram in all the way, it was slightly out of its slot. They decided to charge me 40 dollars because they had to open the case.

deleting a .dll file CAN NOT brick a computer. Something else happened.

I'm just telling you what they told us, and what we ended up having to do. Granted I was like, 11, so you're moving backwards of 15 almost 15 years of alcohol and weed use so...lol

Deciding to buy a corsair CX PSU.... blew it up, bought another.

(anyways enough of that)

I once dropped a laptop and screwed up it's hard drive :'D.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Using a PowerCool AUBA-B "750W" PSU to keep my PC stable during benching.

Core i5 3570K 4.9GHz @ 1.53V. Probably was consuming a metric ton of power. Plus both GTX 660s where under full stress. 

got a real PSU now, SuperNOVA 850W G2 <3

The PowerCool now powers my green desk underglow. 

post-62428-0-66928800-1424712510_thumb.j

post-62428-0-66928800-1424712510_thumb.j

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III