Overclocking your monitor refresh rate - AMD GPU's

bartekxx12

ive done all the steps and only 70hz will show up in the contol panel. help please!

I hope you guys know that you can do all this in the Nvidia and AMD control panel.

This is nothing new.

Yet you provide no info on how to do so on a community forum where people are asking for help or alternatives..., just bragging your intellect sounding like an elitist jerk.

You could explain how to, but as you didnt bother, why would anyone take you seriously.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yet you provide no info on how to do so on a community forum where people are asking for help or alternatives..., just bragging your intellect sounding like an elitist jerk.

You could explain how to, but as you didnt bother, why would anyone take you seriously.

There isn't a certain level of knowledge I measure from its participant. I respond accordingly.

If in the thread, the conversation happens with people that are more knowledgeable, I don't explain things that are obvious to them, unless asked.

I normally ignore rude posts, but I'll do an exception.

Nvidia

Open The Nvidia control panel (right-click on the desktop, and select: Nvidia Control Panel). On the left side column, select Change Resolution, then click on the Custom button, then click on Create Custom Resolution. From there you can enter a new resolution. Note that you can't edit a custom resolution if it currently selected. So if you want to edit your custom resolution later, you need to pick a different resolution, and now you can edit the custom resolution. TO edit a resolution, click on the pen icon that will be displayed in the list of resolution on the Nvidia Control Panel.

AMD

I don't have an AMD GPU in hand, but the following should do the trick:

As for AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU-10-SupportedResolutionsUnavailableforMonitor.aspx

Follow what is after the first picture.

Intel

The method varies based on the Intel Control Panel, which differs between graphics solution.

This Intel help documentation page, explain how to create a custom resolution based on the Control Panel look:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm

Open The Nvidia control panel. On the left side column, select Change Resolution, then click on "Custom" button, then click on "Create Custom Resolution".

As for AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU-10-SupportedResolutionsUnavailableforMonitor.aspx

Follow what is after the first picture.

You could have added ^THIS^ on your original post, and wouldnt have stirred me into quoting you on not providing the information.

Making a point and not expanding on it for the benefit of others... doesn't help anyone.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and provide the information.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hahah. I got up to 80Hz on my Compaq screen. It even says 80Hz in the OSD. Actually looks a lot better than 60 in Minecraft. On my Hanss-G screen I tried 70Hz and it has the window that says "INPUT SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE" even though I can still see everything but for some reason it only shows part of the screen even though it's still at 1600x900. Possibly because this cheap-ass monitor only has VGA input. I'll have to try 65Hz.

I'll have to try this on my laptop and netbook..

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

On my netbook it wouldn't work. The modified refresh rates simply wouldn't show up. Probably because it has Intel graphics. My laptop is a different story:

Untitled_zps811333bc.jpg

At 100Hz everything would go fuzzy and buzzy.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Follow what is after the first picture. DOES NOT WORK

All digital connections (DVI/HDMI) use Extended Display Identification Date (EDID) to describe capabilities, such as resolution and refresh rates to a graphics card. The graphics driver uses the EDID to populate a list of supported resolution and refresh rates in the AMD Catalyst Control Center.

The method in the link however.... only applies to VGA connections, as the Desktop Properties on other display ports do not have the tickbox required to change it.

AMD Users MUST follow the OP

Hi, I found a program that allows you to overclock your monitor refresh rate a few weeks ago and after weeks of successfully running a 60Hz monitor @ 75Hz I have decided to make a guide on how to do this. 

I heard that Nvidia has this function built into their drivers and I have not tested this on integrated Intel GPU's so I can only promise that this works on AMD Cards

Before we start the guide you will need to download the program, it is called CRU or Custom Resolution Utility.

I have uploaded the program to my Google Drive link here - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByvG-UAyk_VzRXBKQ05lN2t6WkU/edit?usp=sharing

Note - After completing this guide the program no longer needs to be run and after checking running processes I found that it is infact not running. However I am unsure if it can be deleted without putting your refresh rate back to stock which is why I kept it in my main C: drive directory. 

This process will take about 10 minutes, as far as I know it is not dangerous and I have tested it on 4 different monitors without any problems, my 2 main monitors have been running successfully overclocked for many weeks with 0 issues... however if anything goes wrong, I am not responsible :P

Step 1 -  Run the program and delete all monitors in the drop down list that don't have "(active)" in their name. When I first started the program I had many duplicates of a single monitor. You should be left with something like this - 

hy0e.png
(Please note that I am running a dual monitor setup which is why 2 monitors on the list say "(active)". 

Step 2 -  Click "Add..." below the list of "Detailed Resolutions". A window will open. Change the "Timing" to "Automatic - LCD standard".  In the top 2 boxes enter your monitor's resolution, in my case this is 1680 x 1060. 
This is where we get to increasing the refresh rate. In the bottom box - "Refresh rate:" Enter a Refresh rate that is higher than your stock. In my tests a good first increase is 10Hz which took me to 70Hz from 60Hz. 

zan.png

Step 3 - After adding your first custom refresh rate, repeat the process this time going up in steps of 5Hz. You can have a total of 4 Custom settings which took me up to 80Hz

ez1r.png

You now how to restart your computer. Click "OK" to close the program first and then restart. 

Step 4 - After restarting your computer Right Click on your desktop and go to "Screen Resolution" 

9iay.png

Step 5 - Now go to "Advanced settings" (select the monitor you are editing first if you have multiple monitors), followed by the "Monitor" tab. Now when you go to the drop down list of available refresh rates you should see all the ones you have added. This is where you find what your monitor is capable of. 

f8c4.png

Increase the refresh rate step by step hitting apply each time. If the increase is successful, everything on your monitor should look as normal (Except you are now running at a higher refresh rate). Increase the refresh rate until after clicking "Apply" your monitor no longer displays anything on the screen, don't panic when this happens, Windows will automatically Revert back to your previous setting in 15 seconds. What might also happen is the image on your monitor might not look right and everything on your screen might become blurred. In this case also wait 15 seconds until Windows reverts back to the previous refresh rate. 

In my case 75Hz was successful but after applying 80Hz nothing showed up on my monitor until after 15 seconds it went back to 75Hz. This means that 75Hz is the highest my monitor can go.

Step 6 - 

Once you find your monitors limit, open up the Custom Resolution Utility again and delete all the Detailed Resolutions you have created except for the highest one that works correctly for you.

4w0j.png

You can then click OK and close all the Windows you have opened. As you do so and drag some windows you should notice that everything is smoother because you have now overclocked your monitor :)

I have 144Hz monitor anyway! ;D

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Went from 60 to 75

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

• 3 weeks later...

howdy, having an issue with any setting I use. Im actually getting my screen stretched by quite a bit and thus much of my screen is gone. native I run 1920x1080. Its a dual monitor setup. It seems that this is probably due to some setting enabled in amd catallyst. it is really reminicient of overscan, but when I disable everything i can in the catalyst nothing seems to fix my issue. anyone else run into this?

-----------------------EDIT--------------------------

It seems I was able to fix the issue by setting my tv ( dont hound me for using a tv as my monitor it has a 2ms responce rate )

to Pc mode. for some reason it knew to adjust the x and y axis to fit my screen better than it ever did with amds overscan

Tried to run my HP ZR30w at 70hz but no luck. It's a 2560x1600 monitor so it might already be maxed out at 60Hz.

Will this work if I use HDMI?

I would just like to point out that overclocking the refresh rate on an IPS monitor can kill the colours. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on my Phillips 273ELH up to 70hz, att 75hz it went dark.

Thanx :)

Yes it is possible to OC IPS panels to 120hz to 130hz, Overlord Tempest 27" is one of them.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

• 1 month later...

my monitor LG E2242(analog) failed to be stable beyond the stock 60hz so i reverted it back.the image is now blurry and it is heavily noticable on letters and numbers and complicated textures.this only happens when playing games.please help?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a problem with this, everytime I restart my computer and go into the control panel and open the drop down menu I don't see the increased refresh rates. I'm running windows 8 with intel hd graphics 4400.

Will this work if I use HDMI?

Yes, I use HDMI and the monitor is overclocked from 60 to 70Hz

§ ragedev.net §

• 2 months later...

Thanks, my Acer V226HQL clocked to 70Hz, but 75Hz caused weird problems. Sticking with 70Hz

• 3 weeks later...

I overclocked my Samsung monitor to 75Hz.  Now can I run games on vsync with 75 as the max fps?

got 70hz on my external screen and 144hz on the macbook pro screen

How'd you overclock the macbook pro screen on OSX?  Link pls.

It's really worth noting that this can destroy some monitors and leave you with a 24 inch 1080p brick.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Nice tutorial.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

meh who knows if this actually makes a difference or if it is all placebo, I overclocked my monitor to 75 hz did not notice a difference but keeping it (fuck it)

person below me is a scrub