UK's Parliament move to re-classify Internet as a Public Utility

Not unlike certain similar moods on the other side of the pond surrounding Title II reclassification of ISPs, the House of Lords' call for UK Internet access to be reclassified as a public utility brings forward the importance of the networked society in a rapidly evolving modern economy and mounting international competition.

A new report, published by the upper house of UK parliament—the House of Lords—has called for Internet access to be reclassified as a public utility. Further, the report says that the UK is falling behind other countries when it comes to both high-speed internet access (i.e., new fiber-to-the-home and fiber-to-the-node deployments) and universal internet access—two factors that could significantly affect the UK's ability to compete in the still-rapidly-growing international digital economy.

Beyond universal Internet access, the report also discusses how the United Kingdom lags other countries in terms of high-speed access. In January 2015, an Ookla report placed London in 26th place out of 33 European capitals. There are also a large number of "not-spots" in urban areas, where Internet providers decided that it didn't make economic sense to deploy new infrastructure (usually fiber). In both cases, the House of Lords is worried that these problems will affect the UK's long-term international competitiveness.

Source: A world-class country should have world-class Internet access

Yet there's nothing about the prime minister saying that he wants no encryption for residential connections. :|

Yet there's nothing about the prime minister saying that he wants no encryption for residential connections. :|

thats because he's a tosser, also the house of lords is the one above parliament (to some extent), there not even elected there literally lords 

Yeah this forum post is a bit misleading the house of lords (which is the second chamber in the houses of parliament sort of like the senate but the people in the house of lords aren't elected) just published a paper saying yeah we should probably do this. which essentially means it might happen it might not so yeah I am like that is cool that someone in a position of power realized that BT have been taking the piss for too long and we need to actually start understanding the internet but I am not going to be holding my breath for this actually happening that soon

Yeah this forum post is a bit misleading the house of lords (which is the second chamber in the houses of parliament sort of like the senate but the people in the house of lords aren't elected) just published a paper saying yeah we should probably do this. which essentially means it might happen it might not so yeah I am like that is cool that someone in a position of power realized that BT have been taking the piss for too long and we need to actually start understanding the internet but I am not going to be holding my breath for this actually happening that soon

You ever hear of this little thing called punctuation?

Anyways.

Good job UK, now if only my country can get its head out of its ass and do the same.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This will be interesting to see if it goes well or if things become worse. Making it a utility could have issues.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

whoooo :) hurray for us

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

whoooo :) hurray for us

Well hurray for us in next 5+ years.... BT and VM are both having big plans about getting fibre to more homes but both need 5+ years to do so. :( I want it NOW.

But perhaps we finally increase the minimum speed and in a decade we will talk about 10mbps like we talk about 256kbps dialups nowadays :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Well hurray for us in next 5+ years.... BT and VM are both having big plans about getting fibre to more homes but both need 5+ years to do so. :( I want it NOW.

But perhaps we finally increase the minimum speed and in a decade we will talk about 10mbps like we talk about 256kbps dialups nowadays :)

im happy with 152mbps

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

im happy with 152mbps

Fuck off m8

/j

Anyone would be :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I don't live there, but I'm happy for those of you that do!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

The fact that they waited till the US did it just shows the UK doesn't even stand on its own feet smh

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

This is showing things are moving in the right direction, but we still need full FTTH and higher overall speeds for lower prices, having high download speeds but very low upload speeds is ridiculous when it's possible to have similarly high uploads.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Proof that the UK leads the way in net neutrality 

As a Brit myself I would love to be able to confirm that statement. But as far as I know, the Dutch have beat us to the point.

Good news from UK? about internet? worth a tear?

4030048-8501923744-DeanW.gif

Seriously Europe is retarded always waiting for US to set 'trends'.

NO, The us is going backwards in terms of internet. The uk is leading in net neutrality 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Now I just have to hope 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400