worth building an old(legacy) pc?

OfficialJsP

so i am a bit board with my self i want a small project so i am thinking about building a legacy pc not to sure what i will use it for yet probably folding and most likely programming but do you think it will be worth it with these specs listed below and how do you think it will preform? 

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-2-Quad-Q6600-2-4-GHz-Quad-Core-BX80562Q6600-Processor-SLACR-CPU-/251687464373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a99bdedb5)

RAM: 8GB DDR2 RAM (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8GB-Kit-4x2GB-Server-PC2-3200R-DDR2-Registered-DIMM-Memory-RAM-/161517260158?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259b2dcd7e)

Motherboard: (Anything that supports the above specs) 

PSU: Powercool 550W PSU(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/550W-Powercool-Hybrid-Modular-80-PLUS-1x140mm-ATX-PSU-/131385604041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e973137c9)

Case: AvP Imp-M88 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261740661350?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

HDD: Random 1TB Hard Drive (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171135739777?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

GPU: GTX 650 Ti (already have)

I suppose you could make like a Linux based web browsing PC. (Linux because modern linux distros (post 2013) are still far less demanding than modern Windows.) I wish that Linux had enough alternatives or support for me to consider going all AMD because AMD is cheaper and for what it cost isn't half bad and for Linux since its uses OpenCL/GL and AMD GPUs for their price provides the better/best performance in OpenCL/GL applications. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Those parts aren't really old enough to be called a legacy pc, and for folding they're horribly powerhungry for the processing power. I wouldn't bother personally.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

That isn't really legacy, for those kind of builds its a Pentium 4 1.4GHz and any CPU before them. It'd be worth it though as Core 2 Quads still hold there own and will not bottleneck a GTX 650 Ti (I already had an OC 2GB version as well when I got given my LGA775 rig-which is being resurrected as my main rig).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Those parts aren't really old enough to be called a legacy pc, and for folding they're horribly powerhungry for the processing power. I wouldn't bother personally.

Hey any folding power is beneficial I mean in terms of power consumption sure maybe not but if energy is relatively inexpensive I don't see much of a problem. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

Legacy would be running Unix on an 80186

What about the x86 CPUs (as in 286, 386 and 486)? Because I've got all 3, with 2 killed by barrel batteries and the 386 just needing some tracks cut and wires ghettod to the front panel header (it had the barrel battery as an optional extra-it actually has 3 batteries that I can simply plug in to it).

PMSL

What about the x86 CPUs (as in 286, 386 and 486)? Because I've got all 3, with 2 killed by barrel batteries and the 386 just needing some tracks cut and wires ghettod to the front panel header (it had the barrel battery as an optional extra-it actually has 3 batteries that I can simply plug in to it).

Oh you whippersnappers with your newfangled 386s.

Oh you whippersnappers with your newfangled 386s.

Its not just a 386, its the DX-40 that kicked the crap out of the 486 that was supposed to be an upgrade, until a 66MHz version was made of course :P .

PMSL

Its not just a 386, its the DX-40 that kicked the crap out of the 486 that was supposed to be an upgrade, until a 66MHz version was made of course :P .

Speaking of Intel CPUs that outstrip their "upgrades", I suppose Pentium III would be retro now, too.

for me a legacy computer is something that has parts over a year old. 

Speaking of Intel CPUs that outstrip their "upgrades", I suppose Pentium III would be retro now, too.

Yep, though for me its 2xs370 P III, 1xs370 Celeron, and 2xSlot 1 Celeron A's (300 and 333MHz). And I have a motherboard that can use them all to boot.

Back to the original post, its worth building a legacy PC for the fun with overclocking alone. (I've got a cheap cooler for example that keeps my 667MHz P3 at 32oC when under full load-and its a long way to the 75oC thermal limit......)

PMSL

You should still be able to run Windows fine. My Q6600 runs Windows 8.1 very smoothly, actually.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

for me a legacy computer is something that has parts over a year old.

how does old architectures fit in then? Example how gpu tend to rebadge for all but the topend.

You should still be able to run Windows fine. My Q6600 runs Windows 8.1 very smoothly, actually.

you can run 8.1 on an Atom tablet smoothishly and on an athlon 64 crustily.

Doesn't really look like a legacy build.

Looks like a regular build with a crappy processor and DDR2 RAM

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

If people want to see a true legacy build (or what's left after the years) I could post some photos.

PMSL

Legacy builds are fun, because they still work, they're just not cutting edge, is all.

Worth it? Well, it depends on how much you're paying.

I would totally buy parts for an old PC if they were sold for pennies and still worked.

If you think it's worth doing, go for it! :D

ahhh i miss my q6600.... first build i did my self.

I don't think that's legacy :D

But yes go for it. Grab a Harpertown Xeon they're quite a bit faster and more fun to overclock :)

That's if you feel comfortable with the socket mod.

i am currently doing this my self i have a dual core Xeon cpu and am looking for two GPUs

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas