“Samsung is not responsible for these providers’ privacy or security practices.”

meritmaster

I won't be buying a Samsung smart TV anytime soon, as it seems their privacy policy is just outrageous. 

Samsungs smart TV's tend to come with a microphone, or a camera, depending on the model of the TV, such as this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889354638 Under it's specification tab, it informs the buyer that it's equipped with a camera and microphone:

SMART INTERACTION
- Voice Control with Smart Touch Control
- Motion Control with Camera Accessory

These models that come with a camera, and microphone, also include a pretty sketchy policy, as stated here by Samsung:“Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition,” the statement reads. “Samsung is not responsible for these providers’ privacy or security practices.”...pretty bad right? Worst of all it's pretty hidden in Samsungs policy and is not represented to come with the product, unless you take the time to read the policy on the TV, which most don't, but that's because as a consumer, we shouldn't have to worry about policies like this being hidden, or for a TV to come with a policy such as this. 

Gail Lynch, a owner of a Samsung Smart TV stated "It's very scary", and continued to say
“You don’t even have privacy in your own home”, and to be honest she is right, there is a growing concern with the privacy that comes with owning a piece of technology like this, if it's a laptop, or just a small cell, our privacy can be invaded. There is even word that hackers/anyone can look through your devices camera, and hear what you say through the devices microphone, this makes me feel not so safe being connected. This is technology that can possibly ruin peoples lives, but that's not to say the good outweighs the bad.

A activist from the Electronics Frontier Foundation by the name of Parker Higgens compared the privacy policy to George Orwells "1984B9T_ejfCIAEAXpY.pngB9T_es0CcAAJw9F.png

What do you guys think?

Original article:http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/02/09/owners-of-samsung-smart-tvs-should-be-aware-of-this-very-scary-privacy-policy/

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

I won't be buying a Samsung smart TV anytime soon, as it seems their privacy policy is just outrageous. 

-snip-

If you actually read the privacy policy for MOST of the companies you use, they are pretty outrageous. Most companies subscribe to the CYA policy... and for good reason.

Edited by Prastupok

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I think they are more or less stating this so they don't get a huge class action lawsuit if there were to be an event that something happens to someone because of this. I don't foresee samsung doing this on purpose (this as in recording personal information and giving to third parties), probably just a safety precaution. 

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

My Sony and LG say the same shit. You can |urn off"all those%220features though at least on my TV's. 

If you actually read the privacy policy for MOST of the companies you use, they are pretty outrageous. Most companies subscribe to the CYA policy... and for good reason.

Apple put that you can't use iTunes to make nuclear bombs in the iTunes EULA....so yea. Company EULAs can get pretty hilarious if you give them a read. 

The whole Smart tv's are spying or breaking personal privacy is such a joke....  We all carry phones, guess what phones have camera's and microphones and even have GPS capabilities not mention we conduct everything from banking to money transactions to email. on them. And what there is no real concern over privacy on these?  - Of course there is but people got over it. Same will happen will happen with TV's. 

Yet people will still freak when a TV has the ability to hear or see.... 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Apple put that you can't use iTunes to make nuclear bombs in the iTunes EULA....so yea. Company EULAs can get pretty hilarious if you give them a read. 

Again, the cover your ass policy... a company's favorite past-time.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

"Smart TV". Next thing you know, there will be a "Smart toaster". Why do people need everything to be smart? Innovation? or just pure laziness? A push of a button doesn't require that much of energy does it?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

The whole Smart tv's are spying or breaking personal privacy is such a joke....  We all carry phones, guess what phones have camera's and microphones and even have GPS capabilities not mention we conduct everything from banking to money transactions to email. on them. And what there is no real concern over privacy on these?  - Of course there is but people got over it. Same will happen will happen with TV's. 

Yet people will still freak when a TV has the ability to hear or see.... 

" there is a growing concern with the privacy that comes with owning a piece of technology like this, if it's a laptop, or just a small cell phone, our privacy can be invaded. There is even word that hackers/anyone can look through your devices camera, and hear what you say through the devices microphone, this makes me feel not so safe being connected. This is technology that can possibly ruin peoples lives, but that's not to say the good outweighs the bad. " It's widely known, and a big concern that other products do the same. 

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

" there is a growing concern with the privacy that comes with owning a piece of technology like this, if it's a laptop, or just a small cell phone, our privacy can be invaded. There is even word that hackers/anyone can look through your devices camera, and hear what you say through the devices microphone, this makes me feel not so safe being connected. This is technology that can possibly ruin peoples lives, but that's not to say the good outweighs the bad. " It's widely known, and a big concern that other products do the same. 

Define widely. I haven't heard of any blackhats trying to snoop on people's living rooms yet, have you?

Yea, I didn't the thing. I was ranting about this earlier with friends. 

Define widely. I haven't heard of any blackhats trying to snoop on people's living rooms yet, have you?

There was that WAN show that SLICK was talking about a site that allows to view thousands of hacked into/taken over "cloud based security cams" 

Well I suppose there is always someone, and as everyone fears the NSA or whatever spy agency your homeland uses. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

It's been reported in various places that it's very possible for people to spy on us, and through our own equipment, such as laptops with microphones, or cameras. I'm not going to take the time to find all the sources, but they are very easy to find, here is what Norton says "

Are Hackers Using Your Webcam to Watch You?

Kim Boatman

Find Under: Prevention

Steven Fox, an IT security expert, was chatting with friends on his webcam one night when he started receiving some strange emails. Imagine his surprise when he opened one and found images of himself chatting.

His webcam had been hacked by a “script kiddie,” a person who uses malware written by someone else to show off their skills at accessing other computer systems, says Fox. He quickly detached the webcam, but he had to re-install his operating system after he found malware installed on his computer. “It was painful, but it was a learning experience,” says Fox, who writes a column for the journal of the Information Systems Security Association.

The risks of webcams

Webcams may let you stay in touch with friends and family, but they also pose risks of people hacking into them and spying on you. A recent Pennsylvania lawsuit accused a school district of using webcams on school-issued laptops to spy on students and their families. And in China, a sophisticated network of hackers known as GhostNet has cracked 1,295 webcams in 103 countries.

Since most laptops now come with a built-in webcam, it’s critical to understand the risks, says Richard Stiennon, a malware expert with IT-Harvest, a research firm that specializes in Internet security. “We all have to become aware that our every action could be watched,” says Stiennon.

How hackers attack webcams

Most hackers utilize so-called Trojan horse attacks, says Stiennon. You click on an attachment or download a piece of music or video infected with malware, and a hacker is able to remotely control your PC’s functions.

Fortunately, you can take steps to secure your webcam. Experts offer these do’s and don’ts:

• Don’t click on suspicious attachments. You’ve heard it before, but too often we click without thinking. Email attachments remain a prime source for malware. Be wary of those supposedly funny emails forwarded by friends and family. You should also avoid suspicious sites offering free downloads of music, TV shows or videos.
  • Do use a firewall. “Firewalls provide a measure of protection against unwanted traffic,” explains Fox. Your computer comes with a firewall, but you need to make sure it’s turned on. If you use a Windows operating system, click on the Windows symbol in the lower-left corner of your screen, search for Windows Firewall, and you’ll be able to check the firewall settings. If you use a Mac OS, open System Preferences, click on the Sharing icon, select the Firewall tab and click Start.
  • Do use strong anti-virus software. Install a security suite that offers malware and spyware protection, then make sure you keep the protection up to date.
  • Don’t keep PCs with webcams in bedrooms. Limit webcam use to high-traffic areas, and remind family members not to do anything in front of a webcam they wouldn’t want the world to see.
  • Do secure your wireless connection. Make sure your wireless connection is protected with a unique password (not the default one that came with the router).
  • Don’t talk to strangers. Avoid IM conversations with people you don’t know, and advise your kids to do the same.
  • Do be cautious about accepting tech help. Would-be hackers have been known to ingratiate themselves with acquaintances by offering computer help. But that gives them the chance to rig webcams so they can spy on the computer user.
  • Do look for the indicator light. On external webcams, you’ll usually see a red light indicating the camera is on. Laptops with internal webcams usually have a blue LED indicator. If you use an external webcam, simply detach it from the USB port when it’s not in use.

In the end, your best bet is to use a decidedly low-tech solution, say the experts. “The ultimate security control is to cover the lens,’’ Fox says. If your webcam doesn’t come with a lens cover, use an adhesive bandage or even a yellow sticky note to cover it up. (Just make sure nothing sticky is touching the lens itself, so you don’t damage it.) “It sounds silly, but it gives you positive feedback that no one is spying on you,” says Stiennon.

Copyright © Studio One Networks. All rights reserved."  http://us.norton.com/yoursecurityresource/detail.jsp?aid=webcam_hacking

~Abraham Lincoln

That was the bubble mac EULA saying that the machines are NOT intended to run in a nuclear facility.

Samsung took to its official blog today to clearly state that its Smart TVs are not wired to “monitor living rooms conversations.” In order to make it easier for people to understand how this feature works Samsung has also edited its privacy policy.

No longer does the policy recommend users to censor themselves in front of their Smart TV if they don’t want their sensitive information to be potentially compromised.

Samsung clarifies that its Smart TVs are not capable of listening in on conversations. A user action is required every time the Voice Recognition feature has to be triggered.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/02/samsung-smart-tv-privacy-policy-edited-to-be-less-orwellian/

Personally I think this smart tv issue just got blown out of proportion by some peoples .

-snip-

With $200 worth of hardware, There are people who could steal every bit of information from you...

Most hackers don't go after individuals though. Many things are possible, but some of these security firms don't look at the probability. It's not likely.

You and I have a different definition of widespread it seems.

dont buy LG either it has the same issue

what u need to do is buy a dumb tv that uses a samsung or LG panel l

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What, you mean to tell me that people actually think Samsung (or 3rd party's) have nothing better to do than sit around listening to people watch tv?  C'mon...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is just typical media scare mongering with only half truths.  The only people that are effected with this clap trap journalism is the people that wear tin foil hat's, anyway Samsung's changed the wording of it anyway.

Cry Havoc!

"Smart TV". Next thing you know, there will be a "Smart toaster". Why do people need everything to be smart? Innovation? or just pure laziness? A push of a button doesn't require that much of energy does it?

I wouldn't mind a smart toaster :P

but honestly, I think the remote control went through such line of questioning; is walking to the TV really that hard? I'm all for convenience, but it's true we (humans) go pretty far sometimes to make life easier.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

This is just typical media scare mongering with only half truths.  The only people that are effected with this clap trap journalism is the people that wear tin foil hat's, anyway Samsung's changed the wording of it anyway.

Let me guess, "you should only be worried if you have something to hide anyways?".

Welcome to 1984 folks.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Are they fucking retarded?

Are they trying to commit corporate suicide? 

"Our new products let other companies not affiliated with us in any way spy on you in your own home without your consent"

I've never read something that has ever surprised me so much. For what possible reason did samsung implement this? and how bloody much are these third parties paying them!?!?!?

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.

I did not know that. Very interesting. 

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Let me guess, "you should only be worried if you have something to hide anyways?".

Welcome to 1984 folks.

The "3rd parties" are the servers that Samsung uses to process voice commands.

Of course, Chris Matzyzysikyxvizekyatizbinxzazyk of Cnet's (which, BTW, is the Business Insider or BuzzFeed of tech) "technically incorrect" was vauge and made it seem like anyone who wanted to could listen in on your living room.

Samsung has already said that they only listen for commands, then anything spoken WHILE THE GIANT, OBVIOUS MICROPHONE IS ON THE SCREEN will be sent back to Samsung/the 3rd party. If you say a voice command then list off your credit card number, social security number and other sensitive info, that's your fault.

Why would I care if they WERE listening in on my living room anyway? Oh no, they can't know I satirically criticize movies and TV shows! (Why didn't they jump over the railing of the pier after crashing their Suburban instead of getting run over by evil guys in a pickup truck? Oh, wait, so Marvel could make some money) I don't say anything sensitive in front of my TV anyway, and anyone who thinks that Google doesn't keep any information you say after "OK Google" or that Apple doesn't record your conversations with Siri is naïve.

Same for webcams. Oh golly, I can't let hackers watch me stare at my computer for 6 hours straight, because that's productive and beneficial to said hackers.

The older generation takes privacy too seriously, while ignoring that there hasn't been any since the introduction of the Internet in the 90's. Please don't be like this guy:

rs_347x200-131220125200-29403-Ron-Swanso

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I did not know that. Very interesting.

Aw, man! I wanted to make a nuke with my iPad! :(:(:(

/s

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

The "3rd parties" are the servers that Samsung uses to process voice commands.

Of course, Chris Matzyzysikyxvizekyatizbinxzazyk of Cnet's (which, BTW, is the Business Insider or BuzzFeed of tech) "technically incorrect" was vauge and made it seem like anyone who wanted to could listen in on your living room.

Samsung has already said that they only listen for commands, then anything spoken WHILE THE GIANT, OBVIOUS MICROPHONE IS ON THE SCREEN will be sent back to Samsung/the 3rd party. If you say a voice command then list off your credit card number, social security number and other sensitive info, that's your fault.

Why would I care if they WERE listening in on my living room anyway? Oh no, they can't know I satirically criticize movies and TV shows! (Why didn't they jump over the railing of the pier after crashing their Suburban instead of getting run over by evil guys in a pickup truck? Oh, wait, so Marvel could make some money) I don't say anything sensitive in front of my TV anyway, and anyone who thinks that Google doesn't keep any information you say after "OK Google" or that Apple doesn't record your conversations with Siri is naïve.

Same for webcams. Oh golly, I can't let hackers watch me stare at my computer for 6 hours straight, because that's productive and beneficial to said hackers.

The older generation takes privacy too seriously, while ignoring that there hasn't been any since the introduction of the Internet in the 90's. Please don't be like this guy:

-snip

The current generation doesn't seem to realize the importance of privacy.

As always, people with little life experience don't know the importance of something and won't understand it until it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs