Buying a mechanical keyboard.

Shaqo_Wyn

Hey guys, so I have about 150 EUR for a mechanical keyboard with Brown Cherry MX switches and I want your input (there's also a poll).

I'm pretty sure I would not regret getting the keyboard that has caught my eye from the start, i.e. the Ducky Shine 3 DK9800.

However, I am wondering how other keyboards in this price spectrum compare (not interested in CM or Corsair).

Other keyboard brands I looked at:

- Das Keyboard 4 Professional

- Filco Majestouch 2

Are there any other brands I missed? I checked out WASD but I don't need that much customization so not really looking at them.

Which companies make great and awesome aftermarket key caps?

If you own one of these keyboards can you tell me a bit about your experience with it?

Thanks for reading! :)

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Corsair K70, I love mine. The aluminum back plate makes it looks so nice. Otherwise the Das Keyboards, are good.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Corsair K70

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Das Keyboard 4 Professional is really good looking.

I agree with the K70 recommendation though.

Corsair K70, I love mine. The aluminum back plate makes it looks so nice. Otherwise the Das Keyboards, are good.

Corsair K70

Das Keyboard 4 Professional is really good looking.

I agree with the K70 recommendation though.

(not interested in CM or Corsair). Does Corsair even build quality?

(not interested in CM or Corsair). Does Corsair even build quality?

Haven't noticed any issue with mine. Seems well built.
Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Curious as to why no CM, mine is excellent. But from your options I would go ducky. 

(not interested in CM or Corsair). Does Corsair even build quality?

K70 keyboard is full brushed aluminium... so to answer your question, yes.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Curious as to why no CM, mine is excellent. But from your options I would go ducky. 

I want what I want. :P

K70 keyboard is full brushed aluminium... so to answer your question, yes.

Alrighty, I'll keep that in mind.

Was hoping to hear something about the three other keyboards I mentioned but I guess it's just not my day..

I want what I want. :P

Alrighty, I'll keep that in mind.

Was hoping to hear something about the three other keyboards I mentioned but I guess it's just not my day..

If you wont take advice when asked for and you only want to hear about select things. Perhaps you should old ask about those three keyboards? :D

If you wont take advice when asked for and you only want to hear about select things. Perhaps you should old ask about those three keyboards? :D

Well it is after all, my choice. I was hoping to hear from owners of the keyboards I mentioned or other brands I missed and I specifically excluded the brands I didn't want to hear about.

I put a lot of time and effort in this forum trying to help people out as much as I can, giving comprehensive and specific answers to the OP's questions. 

It would be nice to receive similar treatment during the rare occurences when I make a topic of my own.

I know the K70 is for all intents and purpose a great keyboard and I can buy it for the same 150 EUR as the Ducky Shine 3 DK9800.

However, it's more "look at me, I'm a gaming keyboard" than the Ducky and I like my PC components to be a bit more subtle. That's also why I prefer mice like the Zowie FK1 over the Logitech G502 (another LTT favorite). 

But if you still feel like dealing with my picky ass, there are some question I have about the K70 that you can answer for me.

Fire away with questions :D

Awesome. :)

1. How's the wrist pad?

2. Does it have a dual-layer PCB?

3. How of it is aluminum? Is the whole casing (top and bottom half) brushed aluminum?

4. How are the textured keycaps?

5. I heard, that some of the switches on the Corsair keyboards are non-standard which means you can't replace some of the keycaps with aftermarket ones. Is this true?

CM actually make good keyboards, Corsair are just like Razer. I would say get a ducky but I would get a ducky zero because if you wanna customize your keycaps and what-not, there are not a lot that support lighting.

Could look into the Ducky Legend.

You're limited to silver + blue LEDs or black + white LEDs, but you get a sexy aluminum build, a little bit cheaper than the Shine.  I've got one coming in probably next week, see what happens.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

you're probably not after 60% keyboads but if you're even thinking about it you should look into Vortex, most of their keycaps are pbt by default and they feel amazing 

I would go for the ducky shine 4, it's the same price as the shine 3 anyway. 

Has someone taken your faith?

Its real, the pain you feel. 

I am rather shocked not many people chose the Filco keyboard. 

With arguably some of the best built keyboards since the Model M, Filco are on top in my opinion.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

CM actually make good keyboards, Corsair are just like Razer. I would say get a ducky but I would get a ducky zero because if you wanna customize your keycaps and what-not, there are not a lot that support lighting.

Won't be a problem. The keycaps I'm looking to get are the Vortex backlit doubleshot PBT ones.

Just like with Corsair, I know CM makes good keyboards but I'm for something a bit more unique.

Could look into the Ducky Legend.

You're limited to silver + blue LEDs or black + white LEDs, but you get a sexy aluminum build, a little bit cheaper than the Shine. I've got one coming in probably next week, see what happens.

Thanks! I'll check it out. I'd love to hear about your experience with it.

you're probably not after 60% keyboads but if you're even thinking about it you should look into Vortex, most of their keycaps are pbt by default and they feel amazing

I love the Vortex PBT keycaps, probably gonna get some from Massdrop. But not looking for a 60% keyboard. :P

I would go for the ducky shine 4, it's the same price as the shine 3 anyway.

True but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it permenantly elavated because how the feet are built? Cuz that's a no go for me.

I am rather shocked not many people chose the Filco keyboard.

With arguably some of the best built keyboards since the Model M, Filco are on top in my opinion.

Agreed, Filco makes rock solid keyboards but like Das Keyboard they ask 180 eur for their top of the line models while I seriously doubt it's that much better than the more feature rich Ducky's. Unless, I'm missing something?

Agreed, Filco makes rock solid keyboards but like Das Keyboard they ask 180 eur for their top of the line models while I seriously doubt it's that much better than the more feature rich Ducky's. Unless, I'm missing something?

Oh, no. In fact they have less features than the Ducky keyboards. My Filco has no media keys, no backlighting, no repeat rate or delay rate changing and dip switches, unlike my Ducky Shine 3. The only reason I am using my Filco over my Ducky is because of the build quality. Even with the small jump in price, you really can feel the difference when typing, and that's what I care more about, so I am willing to spend the money. Either way, the Ducky is a fabulous keyboard and is built extremely well, just the Filco is that little bit better. I have never used a Das Keyboard, so I have no idea how they feel to type on, though I am curious as to what they're like. I will always recommend a Ducky if you want a solid keyboard that looks fantastic and nearly any back light colour you can think of. I feel that the reason why I, and many other people have a Filco, is because it's a Filco. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"