Further details and codenames for the R9 300 series

R9 390(x) and the R9 395x2 (Fiji) will be a new silicone with HBM memory on a 1024bit interface. The dual GPU card (2xFiji) will be called Bermuda.

R9 380(x) (Grenada) will be rebranded R9 290(x)s with increased clockspeeds and (hopefully) better reference coolers.

R9 370(x) will be Tonga based (we've already seen this with the R9 285), with a wider memory bus and 3G of GDDR5.

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-r300-grenada-is-380xfiji-is-390x-and-bermuda-is-395x2.html

Makes total sense if you ask me. It's sad that we apparently won't be seeing HBM on the R9 380(x)s, but rebranded R9 290's should be fine if the price is right. What's interesting is that they're supposed to have the higher clockspeeds to "compete with the 980", which would require quite an OC on current R9 290x's (at least at anything lower than 4k). Maybe that's the reason for the beefier cooling solution as well, CLC for heavily OCed R9 290(x)s out of the box? I would be okay with that. Tonga for the 370 seems like a perfect fit, solid improvements and finally a mid-range card with more than 2GB of memory.

380 380x being a 290 290x rebrand...

:(

That's the one I was hoping for...

Guess not...

R9 390(x) FTW!!!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

NIEN, I probably will only be able to afford a 380X, and I no wants a rebranded 290X...

If only I could sell my 280Xs for 300 (AUD) a piece. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

So excited for these new cards! 

LOL JK getting HD7970 CX!

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Enough with the damn rebrands already FFS...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

So two of these cards aren't new at all? All that hype was for nothing.

Rebrands. Disappointed. -_-

R9 390(x) and the R9 395x2 (Fiji) will be a new silicone with HBM memory on a 1024bit interface. The dual GPU card (2xFiji) will be called Bermuda.

R9 380(x) (Grenada) will be rebranded R9 290(x)s with increased clockspeeds and (hopefully) better reference coolers.

R9 370(x) will be Tonga based (we've already seen this with the R9 285), with a wider memory bus and 3G of GDDR5.

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-r300-grenada-is-380xfiji-is-390x-and-bermuda-is-395x2.html

Makes total sense if you ask me. It's sad that we apparently won't be seeing HBM on the R9 380(x)s, but rebranded R9 290's should be fine if the price is right. What's interesting is that they're supposed to have the higher clockspeeds to "compete with the 980", which would require quite an OC on current R9 290x's (at least at anything lower than 4k). Maybe that's the reason for the beefier cooling solution as well, CLC for heavily OCed R9 290(x)s out of the box? I would be okay with that. Tonga for the 370 seems like a perfect fit, solid improvements and finally a mid-range card with more than 2GB of memory.

Why did I immediately think of "Topanga!"?  :lol: 

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Dear everyone who said the 380X would crush the 980,

Lol.

If they are heavily OCed then they could come close, especially at higher resolutions. That said, they don't need to and probably won't directly compete with the 980. That's what the R9 390 is for, (hopefully) higher performance at a lower price with the R9 390x as the absolute flagship for <500 bucks at launch.

So two of these cards aren't new at all? All that hype was for nothing.

Rebrands. Disappointed. -_-

Why did I immediately think of "Topanga!"?  :lol:

The exact same thing happened with the gtx 770 (or 760), just a rebranded flagship from the last generation. Rebrands are totally fine as long as the price is right IMO. And anything that's an excuse to redesign the reference cooler is also great. Also keep in mind that they're apparently "competing with the 980" in some way, so a heavy OC and a CLC cooler would be my guess.

If the R9 380x doesn't satisfy you I guess there's always the R9 390, even if it's cut-down compared to the 390x it should still feature HBM.

-

I know that the 770 was a rebranded 680 and that the R9 series had a bunch of HD 7xxx rebrands but i had really high hopes for the R9 380X - if i wanted a hot Hawaii GPU i'd buy a R9 290(X)... Also good luck with overclocking Hawaii AMD i don't wanna buy a 850 PSU to run a single GPU /s :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Yay their sweet spot card will hopefully be good, as long as the extra V-ram and wider bus makes it better than the 960 for the same price and not turn it into a bad rebrand.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

The exact same thing happened with the gtx 770 (or 760), just a rebranded flagship from the last generation. Rebrands are totally fine as long as the price is right IMO. And anything that's an excuse to redesign the reference cooler is also great. Also keep in mind that they're apparently "competing with the 980" in some way, so a heavy OC and a CLC cooler would be my guess.

If the R9 380x doesn't satisfy you I guess there's always the R9 390, even if it's cut-down compared to the 390x it should still feature HBM.

Yes, that is certainly true, but I am pretty sure everyone here expected something new from AMD entirely. Not just rebrands for two of the three "new" cards.

I beat the rebrands will have higher power consumption and higher heat, too. Massive disappointment. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The problem with AMD is they rebrand all but 2-3 cards (4 in this case: 390/X, 395x2, and Tonga Pro 370X) each generation. At least with Nvidia it's a full new lineup with every architecture change.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The problem with AMD is they rebrand all but 2-3 cards (4 in this case: 390/X, 395x2, and Tonga Pro 370X) each generation. At least with Nvidia it's a full new lineup with every architecture change.

What about the 960? And the 770 and 760?

NVidia re-brands aswell mate.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Yes, that is certainly true, but I am pretty sure everyone here expected something new from AMD entirely. Not just rebrands for two of the three "new" cards.

I beat the rebrands will have higher power consumption and higher heat, too. Massive disappointment. :(

Well they are bringing something "new", completely new memory that we haven't even seen before on a GPU. That's a really big deal, so they probably focused on that. We also don't know the prices yet, HBM might just be too expensive for a 380x right now.

Yay their sweet spot card will hopefully be good, as long as the extra V-ram and wider bus makes it better than the 960 for the same price and not turn it into a bad rebrand.

I expect the 370x to be pretty damn good for the money. Think of what we've seen with Tonga so far, just beefed up and with more memory.

If you count the 980 and 970 as 2 cards then you would also have to count the 390 and 390x as seperate cards. Same GPU, just cut down a bit. If you don't want to buy the absolute flagship you could still get the R9 390, with all the new features and HBM. Tonga seems great for the low-end, they have something completely new for the high end and then a rebrand of the last flagship. Seems totally fine to me. Obviously I'd have loved to see something new for the 380x as well, but if it doesn't make any sense (HBM too expensive for these GPUs, etc.) then a rebrand of the newest flagship is totally sensible.

Also 1024bit interface ? UWUTM8 ?

HBM could easily have a 2048 bit interface, that's how it is designed. It's closer to the GPU, so no tracers to some scattered memory modules (2 major blocks right besides the GPU), it doesn't need to run at 5+GHz due to the higher throughput and it'll (hopefully) result in a massive bandwidth increase while reducing power consumption.

An extremely wide bus with lower clocked memory is better than a narrow bus with high frequency memory. And with HBM they can do that. Just don't try to directly compare it to GDDR5, that won't really work from now on.

What about the 960? And the 770 and 760?

NVidia re-brands aswell mate.

yes but 600-700 was all kepler. There it made sense. 900 is all maxwell, and the only Maxwell cards launched before the 900 series were the 750/TI. It don't think the 960 is a rebrand anyway.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

whats the prices gonna be on these, do people think the 390x will be the same price as the 980?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

whats the prices gonna be on these, do people think the 390x will be the same price as the 980?

If they want to sell they will cost it lower than the 980, it makes sense at least

I hope it's just speculation. I really hoped for AMD to come up with something new and not rebrand their products. Seems like I'll be disappointed and should simply just lower my expectations.

Nvidia's Maxwell structure is refreshing and even though the performance gains aren't that great, its still nice to see something different.

I love AMD but if their solution to everything is simply literally slapping on more cores, pumping in more power, inclusion of AIOs and rebrands. It's not very exciting. I think Nvidia's Maxwell approach is the way to go. Less power for more performance. Though I can't agree with Nvidia's business ethics sometimes

a....are you new to the GPU game?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Dear everyone who said the 380X would crush the 980,

Lol.

Made me lol @ work. Not worth explaining to them though.

Black/Red Beast: CPU: i7 4790k Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 980 RAM: 16GB 1866 HyperFury X SSD: 256GB Samsung Evo 840