need help for new sennheiser headphones

Acquaaaa

yesterday I was going around looking for a new pair of headphones with a budget of 90€. In a shop I found a fantastic offer(I believe) for the sennheiser momentum on ear, at the price of 85€. I immediately bought them, and since I use them mainly for listening to music at pc, I would love to know if I need a soundcard/amp in order to make their sound even better, or since they have low impedence(18 ohm) there would be any sort of problem with the output of the motherboard(gigabyte ga-970a-ds3). hope I can find any help, thank you.

Well, the best thing to do would be to get an external amp&dac combo.
I highly suggest the schiit stack.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Some external AMPs are pretty good. Don't know any names of the top of my head though..

hehe.. Schiit stack..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If they sound good then there's nothing wrong with your onboard solution. Only bother with an external solution if you want analog volume control, as there shouldn't be anything to improve with the sound quality.

Some external AMPs are pretty good. Don't know any names of the top of my head though..

hehe.. Schiit stack..

Their marketing strategy is brilliant.

So many puns on their website... 

the only reason the company is called schiit is because the guys wife once told him:'' you're always working on your shit'', so he called the company schiit. 

Brilliant.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Their marketing strategy is brilliant.

So many puns on their website... 

the only reason the company is called schiit is because the guys wife once told him:'' you're always working on your shit'', so he called the company schiit. 

Brilliant.

I saw Linus' review. I know  ;)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There might be a slight improvement but nothing worth the money spent on a Dac/Amp combo so i suggest listening with your current setup.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

but I see that schiit modi  has 75 ohm output, isn't it too high? from what I've understood about amp/headphones reading here and there, heapdhones should have a higher himpedance then their amp

but I see that schiit modi has 75 ohm output, isn't it too high? from what I've understood about amp/headphones reading here and there, heapdhones should have a higher himpedance then their amp

Modi is a DAC, Magni is an amp.

If they sound good then there's nothing wrong with your onboard solution. Only bother with an external solution if you want analog volume control, as there shouldn't be anything to improve with the sound quality.

Actuall I'm happy about these headphones, the only thing that I'm noticing since this morning, while I was listenting to some music in soundcloud, is that sometimes the sound is something like dirty, especially with certain low frequences. I'm just wondering if it's the soundcloud quality to be not that high, or if it's an issue between mobo and headphone

Modi is a DAC, Magni is an amp.

excuse me for my inappropriate sentence but, does it change anything, does it mean I can use low empedance headphones with that stack?

Actuall I'm happy about these headphones, the only thing that I'm noticing since this morning, while I was listenting to some music in soundcloud, is that sometimes the sound is something like dirty, especially with certain low frequences. I'm just wondering if it's the soundcloud quality to be not that high, or if it's an issue between mobo and headphone

The dirt in the sound is why there are headphones pricing at over 1000$.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

excuse me for my inappropriate sentence but, does it change anything, does it mean I can use low empedance headphones with that stack?

The Magni has a low output impedance, so you won't have any issues you've read about. The Modi's output impedance won't effect the load at all since you have to plug it into an amp.

Still, I don't recommend spending so much. If you want to try a different solution just to see, there's cheaper options.

The dirt in the sound is why there are headphones pricing at over 1000$.

The Magni has a low output impedance, so you won't have any issues you've read about. The Modi's output impedance won't effect the load at all since you have to plug it into an amp.

Still, I don't recommend spending so much. If you want to try a different solution just to see, there's cheaper options.

I'm now using them  with the smarphone, listening to the same music as before, using soudcloud as before, and they sound a lot louder and better than they do with my PC, I dont hear any issue I was experiencing with the PC. any axplanation?

I'm now using them  with the smarphone, listening to the same music as before, using soudcloud as before, and they sound a lot louder and better than they do with my PC, I dont hear any issue I was experiencing with the PC. any axplanation?

do you have HTC One? if not there might be something wrong with windows audio settings.

do you have HTC One? if not there might be something wrong with windows audio settings.

I have HTC desire 610

I have HTC desire 610

does it use beats audio?

edit: no it doesn't so the problem is with the pc audio

Edited by Snazzy

does it use beats audio?

edit: no it doesn't so the problem is with the pc audio

yeah it doesn't, it has "boomsound technolgy" though, it should be something similar I believe. btw couldnt it be somethig realtated to the PSU? I believe that it could be a bit unstable since it sucks and It has something like 5 years of life,with a use of at least 4-5 hours every day

yeah it doesn't, it has "boomsound technolgy" though, it should be something similar I believe. btw couldnt it be somethig realtated to the PSU? I believe that it could be a bit unstable since it sucks and It has something like 5 years of life,with a use of at least 4-5 hours every day

might be but i have my doubts.

might be but i have my doubts.

I just discovered that I have no realtek audio driver for my mobo lol. was using amd CCC settings

do u know any way to check windows/pc audio issue? found this http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtmlbut it doesnt work for windows >8

Well i don't know ways to check for issues in mobo audio, but you can check if the windows audio settings are set on 24/16bit 44100Hz and set them to 24/16bit 48000Hz or 96000Hz.

It might improve the sound a little, also turn off all the Realtek post processing if anything is on.

I couldnt hear appreaciable difference running momentum over ear with one plus one and O2 amp, so the answer is no, you dont need one

Well i don't know ways to check for issues in mobo audio, but you can check if the windows audio settings are set on 24/16bit 44100Hz and set them to 24/16bit 48000Hz or 96000Hz.

It might improve the sound a little, also turn off all the Realtek post processing if anything is on.

the issue is gone, dont know really how. I unplugged the jack from the board, connected the keyboard sound jack to the mobo, and connected the headphones to the keyboard: sound was better but not as much as with the smartphone. now I've connected them again direct to the PC, and they sounds really good, better than they do with the phone, and they're louder as fuck(really too much I have to keep half of windows volume or my ears begin to hurt me lol). btw the only important thing is that now they sound well :D thank you all for you help

mine are on ear not over ear, btw I solved the problem, thank you anyway