Keurig's attempt to 'DRM' its coffee cups totally backfired

140307120507-keurig-2-0-machine-story-to

A system designed to lock out third-party competitors just enraged consumers

I like systems like this. I know there are people on the internet who will despise the idea of buying little plastic cups filled with ready to go coffee/latte/syrup/etc but for a lot of people, the ease of use is unparalleled and compared to some of the lattes that Second Cup/Starbucks (which are delicious and but expensive), a cup based system can be really economical for some. 

Keurig however, are a bunch of dumbasses. Putting DRM on coffee? Not a smooth move at all. No wonder people were pissed. Going after the sacred institution of the coffee bean and trying to lock it down to only accept your cups and not any old piece of plastic (like the old ones)? Foolish move. 

Maybe the hurt that slow sales put on their financials sent them a proper message on how to handle the grave issue of coffee DRM. 

Late last year, Keurig announced a new machine, the 2.0, calling it the "future of brewing" and touting its ability to make both small cups and large carafes. But another, less-publicized feature has been getting most of the attention: the brewer’s advanced scanning system that locks out any coffee pods not bearing a special mark. It’s essentially a digital rights management system, but for coffee, and it’s proving to be the brewer’s downfall.

On an earnings call Wednesday the company announced that brewer sales fell 12 percent last quarter, the first full quarter for which the 2.0 was on sale. "Quite simply our 2.0 launch got off to a slower start than we planned," said CEO Brian Kelley. He saidthe company had been too slow to get 2.0-compatible cups onto retail shelves and "confusion among consumers as to whether the 2.0 would still brew all of their favorite brands."

The funniest thing about the backlash is that it was entirely predictable. Consumers hate DRM — in music, in movies, in anything — but applying it to coffee feels especially galling. It’s the most open caffeinated beverage there is; all you need is beans and hot water and, I guess, a vessel to brew it in. Locking it up in plastic cups was already a little silly, though something lots of people were happy to buy for the sake of convenience. Building a complicated infrared scanning system so that you can only use Keurig-approved cups was a step too far.

Many of these companies have declared their intention to make 2.0-compatible cups. Others have sued. Yet another third-party cup manufacturer is giving away a free clipthat it says tricks Keurig’s scanner. And YouTube is full of videos showing how to hack the system.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/7986327/keurigs-attempt-to-drm-its-coffee-cups-totally-backfired

Why would you need to fucking DRM a fucking K-Cup? There's no fucking point to it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wow, after the success of the first model they got greedy and did this. If they stop manufacturing the first one and stick to this, they'll be dead in a few years

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

I didn't even know they did this...

Still like my Tea!

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

what the fuck did they think would happen? People would buy their overpriced shit or buy cheaper makes that now also don't prevent "coffee piracy? "

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Glad we bought ours when we did so we didn't have to find a fix for it.

I don't know how you can DRM coffee like that. It should be against the law to be anti consumer in this way.

There's a really simple fix to this DRM.

"Not much aim" xD

Looks like Keurig tried to apply the same business model as printer manufacturers do with printers and ink. Looks like it doesn't work because people consume orders of magnitude more coffee pods than ink cartridges. This forces Keurig to use an extremely cheap and weak "DRM" solution on its coffee pods, while printer manufacturers can pursue more expensive methods.

Why would you need to fucking DRM a fucking K-Cup? There's no fucking point to it.

Lots of people already have Keurigs that want one of them. How else do you make money? By increasing market share of the k-cups.

Just my immediate thought, not that it makes it right.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Keurig has a lot in common with digital video stores.

Convinience at the expense of quality and locked down by drm.

Keurig was a good company at first, and a good source of revenue for Vermont's economy (Keurig is run by Green Mountatin Coffee)

However, ever since the Vue system came out a few years back, they seemed to get greedy and stopped allowing compatbility with certain cups in certain brewers. Now, Keurig 2.0 is just such BS. They basically sold out to Coca-Cola last year, and now use DRM and have a contract to only allow Coke products when it comes to non-coffee drinks.

For those of you that are in the 3D printer world, there is a company called stratasys that does basically the same thing. You have to buy thousands of dollars of DRM filament to put in your printer. Granted, its professional grade, and the machine costs 20k, but its the same concept...

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

Keurig, the Ubisoft of coffee!

Win10 | Z77 Extreme4 | 3570k | Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+| 16GB Ripjaws | Corsair RM650 | CrucalMX 100 256 x2| Senn HD 558 |BenQ Zowie EC1A| KBP V60 Blues | Acer XB270H |

Keurig, the Ubisoft of coffee!

dude....your avatar....not appropriate

Impressive bulge.....

but still 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

i might short GMCR (Keurig Green Mountain Inc) tomorrow

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

My parents bought a 2.0 machine and NONE of their coffee worked with it, they called Keurig and had to give them numbers off the boxes and Keurig replaced it all with 2.0 compatible cups, so I got about 200 cups of free coffee for my good ole B150.

You'd think their bottom line would be better to do cheaper licensing to more companies, rather than resorting to more restriction.

My parents bought a 2.0 machine and NONE of their coffee worked with it, they called Keurig and had to give them numbers off the boxes and Keurig replaced it all with 2.0 compatible cups, so I got about 200 cups of free coffee for my good ole B150.

You'd think their bottom line would be better to do cheaper licensing to more companies, rather than resorting to more restriction.

Licensing agreements would've been amazing but they didn't think that far ahead at all

I like this reaction a lot. Now if only we could get the same kind of backlash from all other terrible DRMs that need to go die in a fire.

Compete with price and taste of the coffee? Nahh that's too hard. Let's force people to buy only our stuff instead. What a scummy business plan.

There's a really simple fix to this DRM.

don't even need that. I've found with ours that all you need to do is close the lid just right and it allows you to do it so :\

And this is stupid, why do companies think that consumers want DRM on everything? Wake the fuck up, I buy something, I should be able to use it the way I see fit, so long as I do not endanger others.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

the coffee isnt even that amazing, and the cups are NOT recyclable.

the coffee isnt even that amazing, and the cups are NOT recyclable.

The convenience is why I use one, rarely ever have to clean it and with a direct plumb kit I never even have to add water. Press a button and walk out the house.

Although, for the money you get pretty good coffee IMO.

Here are the hippy cups  :P https://www.gourmet-coffee.com/organic-onecup-packs/