Can the 3.5g of vram on 970 casue stuttering in Shadow of Mordor?

cooperb21

Im wondering becuase i have just tested Shadow of Mordor not having tested it on my new gtx 970 yet and it seems to have stuttering when im using Ultra textures and its gone when i go down to high. Is this just the game or is it the 970 vram issue affecting it and it cant use ultra textures?

Would a 4g card have same affect since it says you need a 6g card to run ultra.

I'm on Very High 1440p. It uses about 3.4-3.6gb of VRAM. no stuttering at all. Quite surprised how well it ran actually.

look at afterburner and see if its using over 3.5GB of vram

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's the game.

Also, the 970 has 4GBs of VRAM, not 3.5GB.

I'm on Very High 1440p. It uses about 3.4-3.6gb of VRAM. no stuttering at all. Quite surprised how well it ran actually.

Then why does it only happen in this game for me?

It's the game.

Then why cant i use all 4g? Most games seem to stop at 3.5 every other video cards all vram is usable.

Then why cant i use all 4g? Most games seem to stop at 3.5 every other video cards all vram is usable.

It's a limit nvidia has set in the drivers. The card physically has 4GB of total memory.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Then why does it only happen in this game for me?

Play on Very high texture instead? Honestly it doesnt look that much different.

Check this video, you will see how the 970 behaves at Shadow of mordor, as well as other games.

I really like JayZtwocents but that video is completely pointless... He doesn't manage to get the Memory usage over 3.5GB in his 1080p tests and just concludes that the GTX 970 cant use more than 3.5GB - which is just plain wrong.

To OP: Check this out it seems to run fine even with Memory usage close to 4GB

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

It's the game.

in theory its 4 GB, but, the last 0,5 gb is very slow, so can cause stuttering

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

It's the game.

Have you been away the last week?Because the 970 3.5gb scandal has been everywhere.

InB4 Benchmark Fallacy! (I'm posting this because someone is bound to say something that means nothing and is completely redundant)

post-109492-0-08178500-1423136548.jpg

post-109492-0-08178500-1423136548.jpg

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

It can be hard to tell whether or not the card is not using more than 3.5 because it is prioritizing or because the game doesn't need it.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.