Nvidia to Use Samsung Foundry 14nm FinFET process over TSMC's 16nm FinFET

ahhming

Park Yu-ak, an analyst at Meritz Securities, said, "Global AP makers are likely to focus on lowering the cost of production this year in order to offset a decline in AP prices." He added, "Samsung's system semiconductor business is going to mass produce and supply chips to Apple, Qualcomm, and Nvidia starting in the second quarter of this year. As a result, the Korean tech giant is projected to exhibit stellar performance."

According to Business Korea, Nvidia will dump TSMC's 16nm FinFET process and use Samsung's 14nm FinFET process instead.

Good year ahead for Samsung foundry, supplying chips to apple, qualcomm and now Nvidia.

source:

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/article/8864/leading-ap-production-samsung-expected-lead-ap-production-supplying-qualcomm-apple

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-samsung-14nm-apple-qualcomm,28493.html#xtor=RSS-181

So Samsung will in the end make chips both for AMD and NVIDIA? Im not sure if I believe that.

So Samsung will in the end make chips both for AMD and NVIDIA? Im not sure if I believe that.

Why not? AMD and Nvidia have shared manufacturer before.

Because if I am not wrong Samsung is having some problems with 14nm and they want to manufacture for themselves + AMD and if you throw NVIDIA at them too I am not sure if they can handle all that at once.

EDIT:

I dont know how big fab they have and how much chips they can manufacture at once.

Hopefully the 14nm tech can help AMD come back in CPU's, I'm sick of Intel price gouging the CPU markets. 

I dont know how big fab they have and how much chips they can manufacture at once.

They can manufacture:

Of that figure, Samsung plans to have an installed finFET capacity of 10,000 to 15,000 wspm by year’s end, according to the firm.

http://semiengineering.com/whos-winning-the-finfet-foundry-race/

That's about 13% of the total industry maximum, but those figures also include 20 and 16 nm. It does look like they may have supply issues from what I see.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Plus with Nvidia sueing Samsung for infinging on its patents I don't think it's in Nvidias best interests to use Samsung...

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Plus with Nvidia sueing Samsung for infinging on its patents I don't think it's in Nvidias best interests to use Samsung...

Well Nvidia might not have a choice, and Samsung wasn't against making things for Apple while they were in a fight.

Well Nvidia might not have a choice, and Samsung wasn't against making things for Apple while they were in a fight.

BREAKING NEW! Samsung denies nvidia the right to buy 14nm chips! They are quoted saying "we dont like money"

/sarcasm 

Business is business and money is money.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Hopefully the 14nm tech can help AMD come back in CPU's, I'm sick of Intel price gouging the CPU markets. 

They can manufacture:

http://semiengineering.com/whos-winning-the-finfet-foundry-race/

That's about 13% of the total industry maximum, but those figures also include 20 and 16 nm. It does look like they may have supply issues from what I see.

Intel doesn't really gouge. Their chips are considerably better, and thus, cost more.

They're also not based on three year old chip sets ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Why would Samsung make anything for patent trolls?

Nvidia don't deserve anything from Samsung for being c*nts

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Nvidia has a choice, but the other 2 are GloFo and Intel. It has to pick the least of 4 evils: TSMC (the failure), Samsung (the legal problem), GloFo (the unstable bastard child), and Intel (the elitist elite waiting to take a bite out of Nvidia).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why would Samsung make anything for patent trolls?

Nvidia don't deserve anything from Samsung for being c*nts

Samsung deserves to get sued, especially after they brought in a tiny OEM desktop seller to the fight to pick on.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well believe it because TSMC make the chips for both NVIDIA and AMD and have done for years.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

It is also not in NVIDIAs best interest to rely on a foundry that can't achieve the nodes NVIDIA need, if Samsung is the best out there without charging a vast sum *cough Intel* then they are the ideal choice.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Who at samsung really cares if their phones are doing shit, they're totally making bank from this

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

neat... so when can we expect 14nm graphics cards to be available?? that is my question? end of the year? next year??

so tired of 28nm; its so last year. (/sarcasm)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It is also not in NVIDIAs best interest to rely on a foundry that can't achieve the nodes NVIDIA need, if Samsung is the best out there without charging a vast sum *cough Intel* then they are the ideal choice.

Intel wouldn't necessarily charge too much if it could get something more valuable than Nvidia's money, like fundamental IP for tessellation and polymorph hardware engines. I'd argue it's actually stupid long patent law which keeps Intel from competing further in graphics than it does, though defeating the Tegra X1 14W to 10W, 2 cores vs 8, with HD 5500, Intel at a disadvantage of 64 stream processors to boot, is just incredible.

Just to clear the air, neither TSMC, Samsung, or GloFo is actually at 14nm. Only Intel is. https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/3884-who-will-lead-10nm.html 

They're just at 20nm with FF and using clever marketing.

I cannot believe how long we've had the 28nm process out, the 7970 was out in Jan 2012, and the 680 in March.

yeah. its getting old. I skipped 28nm however. Waiting on 20/16/14nm to come out so i can upgrade my 6950/6970(s) which are a whopping 40nm xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Not really trustworthy when they still mention Apple.
Apple switched to TSMC last year which was the reason Maxwell is 28nm because they used all the 20nm fabs for the Iphone 6.

RTX2070OC 

Not really trustworthy when they still mention Apple.

Apple switched to TSMC last year which was the reason Maxwell is 28nm because they used all the 20nm fabs for the Iphone 6.

Partly, but also because TSMC had outrageously bad yields on larger chips.  Who knows maybe Nvidia was planning to bring out the big daddy GM200, but TSMC just threw a wrench into it cause the yields were so low.  We don't know since the 680 was the first time they turned the x60 class card into a flagship.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I cannot believe how long we've had the 28nm process out, the 7970 was out in Jan 2012, and the 680 in March.

To be fair it has been tweaked and made denser, so that leaves a little breathing room in the future. Still, I wish the industry had tried to learn FinFET on the 28nm process instead of trying to push down at the same time. It was just a recipe for disaster given the problems Intel had with getting Broadwell out the door.

yeah. its getting old. I skipped 28nm however. Waiting on 20/16/14nm to come out so i can upgrade my 6950/6970(s) which are a whopping 40nm xD

Oh.. Hi big brother... 6850  over here :D

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440