Do certain factors play a roll on how much help you give someone?

HeyKitty

Just curious about topics you'd skip over when someone is asking for help.

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

Bad grammar is probably what annoys me most. Doesn't have to be perfect but when i have trouble reading it I usually skip the question.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

not going to lie, all of those are reasons I have skipped over a thread before so I ticked them all

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Reposting doesn't help too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Any wall of text greatly reduces my chances of reading the post. Spelling and grammar also can play a factor.

I don't pay attention to post count or profile though, often new people need the most help.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Reposting doesn't help too.

:o Didn't even think of that.. That's a good reason too.

Well usually it's wall of text. Or if question is simple and in a couple seconds there will be 53 posts saying "R9 290".

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Well usually it's wall of text. Or if question is simple and in a couple seconds there will be 53 posts saying "R9 290".

I feel like that was a personal stab to the back! :P

^in case you didn't mean it to be, I asked a question on a GPU that can outperform HD4600 under $100. and that is exactly what I got. (though it was R7 260x and 750TI)

I don't care as much about spelling as I do grammar or vagueness just because spelling is something that we can all easily mess up on. That being said, there is spell check for a reason, and I do appreciate it when people can actually spell words.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

It's extremely hard to answer someone's question when it's really vague and not understandable, and when there's a huge wall of text to read. Definitely easier to read when people keep it short and deliver the message without taking forever to explain.

The thing that makes me really not want to help someone or abandon a thread is ignorance and being mean. I really dislike it when people that can't understand how to play nice on the forums or take advice that people give them.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

I feel like that was a personal stab to the back! :P

^in case you didn't mean it to be, I asked a question on a GPU that can outperform HD4600 under $100. and that is exactly what I got. (though it was R7 260x and 750TI)

Noo, I wasn't trying to backstab you, I haven't seen your post :)

I think it's fine to ask those questions. Problem is that linustech guys likes free posts  :ph34r: 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

My biggest gripe is when the person wanting help thinks I have a degree in some alien language that to us humans make no sense, and their post relies on that belief. 

Bad grammar or spelling if that person is from a country where they speak English... I try to help where I can tough.

Actually what really annoys me is when you try to explain something and the person who asked you then thinks he knows better anyway and does something stupid. Why ask for help at all then?

I'm turned away by common questions, walls of text, and fanboyism...

especially fanboyism...

A complete lack of grammar or punctuation can really annoy the crap out of me. Minor grammatical mistakes and punctuation errors are OK (my grammar ain't perfect), but I usually just leave the thread if it's bad enough that I struggle to fully understand what they're asking.

Spelling issues are fine as long as words are mostly understandable.

I don't even look at profile age and avatars most of the time.

Dumb questions are easy to answer.

Please/Thank you? I'm from the Northeastern US, I'm just glad if someone isn't swearing at me.

Walls of text are fine as long as IT'S PUNCTUATION AND GRAMMAR ARE CORRECT!!!!

As for fanboyism, it really depends on how blatant the fanboyism is. I'm alright with most generic fanboys.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

wow, unhelpful if someone didn't fit a template or format their opening right.

i'm sure everyone that was new here did fall into any of those categories and

they still got some help on their post.

everyone might not have the same educational outcome as some of you, may

not have the advanced communication skills, or the sense of knowledge in this

field and you'd deny them a polite answer to their issue because of issues of

their formatting?

i give those members a brave YEAH! for signing up, asking a question or typing

out their issue to find a solution. regardless of the language, formatting or

type of question, if you have a solution, then own-it and let them know of your

experiences in that area and allow them the courtesy of your solution.

if you need more clarification, then do so in a polite and understanding manner

that since this is worldwide, languages and translations are unforgiving,

communication devices do tend to "auto correct' incorrectly and wasn't found

until after the send was made to advance the thread.

the forums were established for this very reason of a helpful community to reach

out to others that have the same drive/passion for this realm and be able to

communicate with others that share this common interest. interact with others

that may having the same issue you had and looking for a helpful pathway to

make it a solution and move to another goal.

1st thing 1st is always attitude, being mr-know-it-all doesn't mean sh*t if you're just plain rude

but at least you can still argue if you have the facts to backup with though its gonna be a pain talking to them <_<

then there's the impossible to understand question which i totally skip i don't even have a clue what they're talking about even though they're being nice (sorry i don't understand you :wacko: )

Really anything that isn't clear and concise has a chance of not being replied to.

Also if its just extremely simple/over-asked. (Nvidia versus AMD, i5 vs i7, etc.).

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I don't judge at first, because I like helping people on here, but my normally high tolerance for bullshit drops through the floor if the person starts being unreasonable. I've seen people on here refuse build suggestions because they are intel based and the person is an AMD fanboy. And then when you try to convince and explain them out of it, they flip out.

For me I try to accept everybody unless they are mean or are so vague that there is no point even asking them to repeat the question in a different way. If for example the question was close to what they were meaning but did not explain it correctly then I would help

Project Devils Delight

Mobo:ASUS B85 PRO Gamer  CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k   RAM: 8GB Kingston HYPERX Beast 1600Mhz    GPU PowerColor Devils 13 Dual Core 290X

Case: Corsair Air 540 strips Storage: Samsung 256GB SSD and a 1TB WD Black (2013 Model)                                                                                                       

I actually like to help more people and better understand their problem if - 

"Vague question/not an easily understandable post"

Because it means they are either outside the States or Canada, not very well educated or are panicking.

Not everyone is fortunate oyu know

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Wall of text.

What pisses me off the most is when the OP doesn't even follow his thread.

And more often than not they don't give enough info for us to make the best suggestion.

Like they don't tell us what country they are from, the price of the item in question, and no links to alternatives.

I would raise multiple questions and they answer only one. After asking 9999 times they still haven't answered my first reply.

Like their brain is an old Pentium 3 that is thermal throttling.

FML. 

And this.

u know what pisses me off when u give them an answer and they dont ever respond after that

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Honestly it comes down to the fact that I'm just not that knowledgeable on tech yet to give a helpful answer. I only just recently finished my build, under a month, and had to ask a lot of question my self when I was making it and I was grateful for all the amazing help I received. Really I'd hate to give some advice and have it be bad or out right wrong. Plus I'm not too keen on those 'why X product over Y' or the like.

So really I fall in to that 'other' category: bad grammar or spelling I can forgive, doesn't stop me thinking that person is either younger or English is not their first language but is understandable, vagueness is hard to answer overall but could go for young/foreign again, I've been the 'first post is a question' user and have had out right dumb questions but I'm glad they were answered, and walls of text usually provide more needed information for what the person is asking.

If someone had questions for the specific gear I have I might be able to answer, and building steps too but I would usually get beat to the punch on answering those. Over all, I'm glad this community is so amazing that those that do answer give a clear line of thought to the solution they came up with, and others can add to it too.