Adobe Suing Forever 21 for Pirating Photoshop

algoat

They offer a subscription plan as cheap as $10/month for access to their tools.  How is that too expensive?  

Entitlement. 

People think they are owed Adobe software because they "need" it. All they "need" to do is make shitty memes and GIFs, something GIMP or even online software can accomplish. Or Adobes own CS2 which is available for free from Adobe themselves, CS2 exceeds what most people need out of Adobe products. 

To people who actually make money (even students who can get CS6/CC subscriptions for cheap) Adobe software is worth paying for. The industry kinda runs off it for a large part. Paying (back in the day) 2600 for the Master Collection or the XX per month now (depending on what products you need) is equivalent to pissing in the ocean for people who actually need the software. 

pffft hahah my question is how the hell they got caught, were they running around screaming " WE ARE USING PIRATED SOFTWARE WOOOOT"

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

What a petulant response.

Adobe products are overpriced to those who don't actually need them. To those who simply think they want them. Especially the morons who go around pirating CS6 Master Collections under the pathetic rational of "but its too expensive and I need it for my shitty photography"

A fashion company pirating a piece of software that even under volume licensing for business costs pennies is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Adobe doesn't care that some jerkoff pirates their software and uses it. They care once that jerkoff starts using their products for commercial gain, and anyone who is worth their weight in talent (and the projects they can do) will simply buy their products anyways as its a kick in the bucket compared to what they make in income.

Adobe gets pissed when large companies like this pirate their software. Companies who can clearly afford it. Forever 21 can't afford Photoshop and Illustrator?

I wonder if the people doing simple edits know about photoshop elements and how inexpensive it is.

A one hour session with their lawyers will probably cost more than the price of all these programs combined.

No, its not a single license for each program, its thousands, any computer running the program(s) needs a license. The could get business licenses that cover many computers for less than individual purchases for each PC. The lawyers probably cost less than 1/6 the price of all the program licenses that they haven't paid for.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

No, its not a single license for each program, its thousands, any computer running the program(s) needs a license. The could get business licenses that cover many computers for less than individual purchases for each PC. The lawyers probably cost less than 1/6 the price of all the program licenses that they haven't paid for.

nope, company lawyers are pricey,

nope, company lawyers are pricey,

A few hundred million in software vs a few million in lawyers?

A few hundred million in software vs a few million in lawyers?

63 different instances 

thats not millions,  worth.

Their legacy software can be had for very cheap as well. CS2 is available on their own site for free for crying out loud, which is enough for a lot of people. 

Uhhhhh....

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

63 different instances 

thats not millions,  worth.

63 illegal downloads or 63 different Forever 21 studios pirating? If its the first then your right and I think its just employees doing it, not a company decision.

"Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers provided as a part of the download may only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these"

Um, something tells me you don't understand. They shut down their licensing servers and this is only meant to be to there for people who actually bought it. It's not like they actually intended to give anything away.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

"Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers provided as a part of the download may only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these"

Um, something tells me you don't understand. They shut down their licensing servers and this is only meant to be to there for people who actually bought it. It's not they actually intended to give anything away

Something tells me YOU don't understand. Their licensing and validation servers went down so they simply let the software loose for everyone, that disclaimer is there for the sanity of their legal department...thats why the disclaimer is there. Do you think Adobe cares that they intentionally allowed anyone to download CS2? 

They let people take CS2, they know they'll get sales from people who decide to move on up to a newer version. What I offered (and every single tech site on this planet offered when CS2 was available) is entirely legal to Adobe in spirit, if not in the letter of their law. 

Something tells me YOU don't understand. Their licensing and validation servers went down so they simply let the software loose for everyone, that disclaimer is there for the sanity of their legal department...thats why the disclaimer is there. Do you think Adobe cares that they intentionally allowed anyone to download CS2? 

They let people take CS2, they know they'll get sales from people who decide to move on up to a newer version. What I offered (and every single tech site on this planet offered when CS2 was available) is entirely legal to Adobe in spirit, if not in the letter of their law. 

Damn. Really hostile. Added to a list.

Damn. Really hostile. Added to a list.

Hostile? For what? I said nothing hostile. Maybe my opening line, which is no different from what you said? Ad hominem and straw man all in one, nice. 

Have fun adding me to a list and not being able to admit that perhaps you might be wrong in your viewpoint. What a childish response. 

Mayb they should have used gimp /s

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

enjoying sex or enjoying their body isnt wrong when done correctly but hoeing around is f21 inspires females to dress in a slutty way

ps: i dont give a shit since its their choice,but it leaves good guys like me single who wont do morally downgraded women

Clearly not a good guy. Please hand in your clearly photoshopped goog guy card.

They're not overpriced when you're a huge corporation making $3.9 Billion in revenue like Forever 21.

This. Plus if you're an individual making regular income using Adobe products, they're not that expensive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

To the people complaining about Adobe (and others, such as Autodesk) charging too much for their software: Have you considered that these incredibly powerful tools are not meant for private use? They are targeted at professionals; Professionals making money using these tools—They are not made for you, and your everyday hobbies and exploits; there are free or cheaper dumbed down softwares available for those use cases.  ^_^

So it's time to get a grip on reality, and stop complaining about things that are completely fine where they are.

Also, with the advent of Creative Cloud, Adobe's tools aren't even expensive anymore. For just a couple of bucks a month you can get access to their entire library of tools.

Cheers,

Linus

To the people complaining about Adobe (and others, such as Autodesk) charging too much for their software: Have you considered that these incredibly powerful tools are not meant for private use? They are targeted at professionals; Professionals making money using these tools—They are not made for you, and your everyday hobbies and exploits; there are free or cheaper dumbed down softwares available for those use cases.  ^_^

So it's time to get a grip on reality, and stop complaining about things that are completely fine where they are.

Also, with the advent of Creative Cloud, Adobe's tools aren't even expensive anymore. For just a couple of bucks a month you can get access to their entire library of tools.

I agree, Adobe products really aren't as expensive and people think they are, also Adobe offers discounts for students. Adobe have every right to sue a company that was pirating their programs and using them to make billions of dollars.

I know and I'm not defending the practice (though there are particularly good cases like irrational region locking, censorship or abandonware) but I always disliked that analogy. To me it should be more akin to cheating on a test: you're getting your grade without effort and at someone else's expense, but that person isn't denied of his effort because of it.

Except that they're stealing someone else's intellectual property and also their labour and services, that they are taking advantage of and not paying them for.

Except that they're stealing someone else's intellectual property and also their labour and services, that they are taking advantage of and not paying them for.

Again they are interfering with said intellectual property without authorization yes, but they are not stealing anything since theft implies you remove a copy, a physical one, that nobody else can use as a result. You're duplicating the product without authorization yes, but you're not preventing the owner of the copy to still sell it. 

This is precisely why I dislike the comparison because it's always used to exaggerate the issue: It is not the same if someone somehow copies my car and produces an exact replica for free. It's annoying that I paid for it and he didn't have to yes, but I still have my fucking car. Nobody stole it, I can use it all I want and such, in fact I can go anywhere with it yet the "pirate" usually can't go far with it cause it has no registration for it so its limited in it's use.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So a professional should pay a professional tax? Without advanced or super awesome and hard to do features this is all you're talking about. I get the premium price for a premium feature thing sure, but that's hardly what goes on here and it's more akin to what I call it: a professional tax.

Like I said the reality is that Adobe or Autodesk get to charge a lot because there's no real alternatives, it has nothing to do with the features or how complex the software is, it's plain supply and demand and the fact that they have virtually no competition.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Are people in this thread seriously being this fucking stupid?

This is a billion dollar corporation, they have the money to buy the tools they use. Not only that, but they are illegally using Adobe's products to help make their money. People should be super happy that Adobe is targeting a company pirating their software and not some kid's family that wanted to pirate photoshop to make some stupid picture for something. Adobe's prices are this high precisely for this reason in the first place, it's a professional product suite for designers that work at big companies. Any company stupid enough to pirate deserves the lawsuits they get.

Adobe can fuck off, their products are overpriced anyway.

For a business Creative cloud suite is 50$ a month per person, that is nothing in a large business. Get over it pirate. Forever 21 will make billions using their software illegally and you think Adobe should get nothing?