Jump to content

Using TempleOS to create video game music

MC.Morrado

I was thinking of installing TempleOS on an old ThinkPad I have lying around that's basically a potato by today's standards. Using TempleOS and its various music-making software created by Terry Davis will make stuff very period correct for 8-bit or 16-bit arcade mini-games I plan on making without having to worry about updates or glowies. I think 2Gb of RAM should be more than enough to run TempleOS.

 

Now the real question is actually installing TempleOS on an old ThinkPad and using it to create my own music. I wonder if I can copy the music I make onto a USB flash drive and use the music I make to be put into a game I'll be programming on a Linux gaming PC. Having an old ThinkPad running on TempleOS solely to create music and be a hobbyist OS will make it immune to planned obsolesce. My methods as an up and coming game dev aren't what you call conventional. Having music created in TempleOS for mini-games and the main menu will be a nice change of pace that doesn't use a ton of system resources for gamers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

TempleOS is an OS but does not come close to having all the essential bells and whistles of modern OSes like Linux/OSX/Windows/bsd based distros. It doesn't even have networking support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

TempleOS is an OS but does not come close to having all the essential bells and whistles of modern OSes like Linux/OSX/Windows/bsd based distros. It doesn't even have networking support.

Really? I just need it to make music and be able to put the stuff I make onto a USB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MC.Morrado said:

Really? I just need it to make music and be able to put the stuff I make onto a USB

There are infinitely better and less cumbersome ways of making 8 and 16-bit music than installing an esoteric OS that even the creator always ran in a VM rather than on bare metal. You can start by looking for trackers that mimic the sounds of classic consoles, like Famitracker for NES sounds.

 

Also I'm not sure what you're hinting at with this:

5 hours ago, MC.Morrado said:

Having music created in TempleOS for mini-games and the main menu will be a nice change of pace that doesn't use a ton of system resources for gamers.

Regular music playback doesn't use a ton of resources anyway. And if you're that worried about it, you might as well just compose in whatever program is able to export MIDI and interpret that data in your game in real time, if you don't want to bother just playing back a .wav or .mp3 file.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

    ▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

  ▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

 ██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

  ▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

       ▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

       ▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

          ██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

          ██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

          ██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

        █▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

        ▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't need an internet connection for TempleOS or anything crazy like what you guys are probably thinking. Just a way to figure out how to put songs I create onto a USB. I plan on using it as a secure offline music maker.

 

I have GarageBand on my MacBook Air M1 but I don't want to make an Apple ID for privacy reasons just to perform an update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MC.Morrado said:

I plan on using it as a secure offline music maker.

https://polyend.com/tracker-plus/

 

There, completely offline secure music maker. Stop overcomplicating things for no reason. Your threads read like the disjointed ramblings of a paranoid person off their meds. You're actively wasting the time of people who are willing to help you by jumping around from topic to topic in a way that only signals to us that you're not really that interested in solutions. You're interested in having us agree with your latest brainfart.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

    ▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

  ▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

 ██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

  ▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

       ▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

       ▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

          ██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

          ██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

          ██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

        █▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

        ▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2024 at 12:35 PM, Avocado Diaboli said:

https://polyend.com/tracker-plus/

 

There, completely offline secure music maker. Stop overcomplicating things for no reason. Your threads read like the disjointed ramblings of a paranoid person off their meds. You're actively wasting the time of people who are willing to help you by jumping around from topic to topic in a way that only signals to us that you're not really that interested in solutions. You're interested in having us agree with your latest brainfart.

... but is that just the software or does it come with the pad and stuff...? cause 799 is hilarious when its just a software "solution" lol... 

 

 

 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

 

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×