Is a GTX 960 worth it?

So, I recently built my first PC, very happy with it, and my GPU is an R7 260X. My question is: Is the upgrade from an R7 260x to a GTX 960 worth it?(Also I should note that originally I wanted to upgrade to an R9 270X, but my PSU only has one 6 pin connector).

Considering you PSU limitations hell yea.

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280 3GB IceQ OC Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $214.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-29 18:21 EST-0500

You can always do this!

960 is a waste of money.

Better off saving or buying a used 760/770

-edit-

AMD r9 280 would work also

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Honestly, just keep your current GPU and turn your settings down. Barring that, you can step up to an R9 290 (or 290x since their price has come down a lot) as well as a new PSU. Anything in between would not be worth the cost because the complete cost is buying the old GPU that you're ditching and buying the new GPU. It's got to be a big step up or don't bother IMO.

First what is your PSU brand ?

Second the 960 would perform quite a bit better but it's really not the card to get right now. Enter R9 280 for less money more Vram and similar performance.

My PSU is a Corsair CX 430, only has 1 PCI-E connector. So R9 280 is out of the question.

It will run it but it's not recommended.

Considering you PSU limitations hell yea.

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280 3GB IceQ OC Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $214.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-29 18:21 EST-0500

You can always do this!

Except the Builder doesn't have the required connectors for the R9 280 either lol.

It needs a 6pin and an 8pin, the Builder 430 only has a single 8 pin

This PSU should be the minimum for gaming PCs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016

It has 2x 6+2pin PCI-e connectors.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Do you mean the GTX 960, or The 280?

They will both runs on that PSU.

Except the Builder doesn't have the required connectors for the R9 280 either lol.

It needs a 6pin and an 8pin, the Builder 430 only has a single 8 pin

The 280 will come with a Molex to 6 pin adapter.

The 280 will come with a Molex to 6 pin adapter.

I wouldn't use that personally... would feel much more comfortable having the native connectors.

Although if the PSU has 2x 6pins you can also use one of these I suppose: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200420

Well if you get an R9 280 just be careful, some of them need 6-pin and 8-pin, while some only need 6 and 6.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I wouldn't use that personally... would feel much more comfortable having the native connectors.

Well it's either that, get a new PSU(Which I can't afford with a new GPU), or Use a single 6/8 pin

So, do i get a 280? if so, 280 or 280X? and which version is best.

Well it's either that, get a new PSU(Which I can't afford with a new GPU), or Use a single 6/8 pin

Worst cause if you PSU can't drive the GPU you will suffer a blue screen or shut when gaming. Not a big deal.

Your PSU is a real limitator here, either upgrade the PSU or stay where you are, I'd also wait as Nvidia has new stuff coming albet 980s or 980 ti with more vram, possibly also 970 ti's.

960 is fine ONLY if you wanna do 1080p.

As for molex to 6-pin... do not...do..it!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I have used Molex to 6pin adapters in the past and they worked perfectly.

alright fair enough