Do you think that Nvidia should recall 970's? (and Nvidia's response)

Doughnutnator

you realize that all those things that you listed dont mean anything to the regular consumer, right?

Just because the 970 has 15% more ROPs than a 700 card doesnt mean it performs 15% better

Also the 780 and 780ti have the same number of ROPs does that mean they perform the same? NOPE

And they have the same vram does that mean they perform the same? NOPE

In fact since there are so many variables in the engineering of a GPU it is not an accurate measurement of value to count up the ROPs or cores or whatever the specs say because real world performance will always be different.

And what people care about is the performance, not a number on a specs sheet. This is excluding OP obviously, because he said he doesnt care about performance, just the specs.

I dont think you realise the role of ROP in GPU's performance. GTX 970 having more ROPs would not increase its pixel fillrate (amount of pixels card can process in second) - however, having more ROPs means GTX 970 will suffer lesser performance drop due to AA. There are many variables when buying a GPU, and expected performance drop due to AA in games with complex graphics is something that an educated buyer decides based on ROP count - in addition to other variables.

If I only want to game on single monitor 1080p, is the 970 still a decent card? Will the memory issue effect this particular set up?

I get where you;re coming from, and it would be swell if it's just FPS drops. if it stutters and have wierd glitches like what has been shown now thats a no go at all. :/ It's currently debatable as to whether this is a widespread/common issue, but as this is a recommendation to a friend who barely knows nuts, I have to be really careful.

Actually if it were for my own rig, i would think twice too. After all the main benefits of Nvidia cards just so happens to make use of vram :/ in that case a 290X would be a better choice for me with it being 80  (singapore) dollars cheaper. 

TL;DR I'nm not saying this is a major issue, but honestly it just seems nvidia wanted to hit that 4GB mark to entice a certain niche of users (4k and ppl who want to future proof)

I can see the 3.5/4GB thing being upsetting to some people, but getting upset about the card specs being wrong is just completely absurd when it still performs the same as it should...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If I only want to game on single monitor 1080p, is the 970 still a decent card? Will the memory issue effect this particular set up?

Nope :) Take a look at benchmarks for whatever game you want, and that will tell you how the card will run.

For 1080P, one 970 is perfect :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

The GTX970 is a very potent card for 1080p so yes you can buy it.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

The GTX970 is a very potent card for 1080p so yes you can buy it.

yeah, just be careful what games you use DSR in.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Nope :) Take a look at benchmarks for whatever game you want, and that will tell you how the card will run.

For 1080P, one 970 is perfect :)

Ba it will crap our sooner for future game forcing an upgrade. 970 is a broke POS end of story !

Not at the moment, due to the fact that memory issue is not an issue with proper optimisation. As for the longevity - less ROP and VRAM, as far as 1080p is concerned, only means that at a certian point in the future, you will have to lower AA and texture settings more than if the card was as advertised. If you dont mind accepting the fact that in 2 years you will be playing without AA in some titles, then by all means, go for GTX 970. Despite everything being said, its still the best offering from nVidia at the moment. Its just not "amazing offering" like it was before, but rather another x70 series card.

Everyone wants blood. And like to follow the herd. 

Yeah I guess you are right... that´s why it´s said that a single human being can be considered a intelligent being and many people sometimes not so much ;) .

Albert Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Here ya go. The over 3.5GB part starts about halfway through.

If that video makes you mad you're obviously clueless. It's under 50fps. ofcourse it's going to run like crap lower

Show me a video of 100fps when loaded up over 3.5gb

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Yeah I guess you are right... that´s why it´s said that a single human being can be considered a intelligent being and many people sometimes not so much ;) .

Albert Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

I hate when people use that quote to make it sound like Einstein is calling everyone dumbasses.

I hate when people use that quote to make it sound like Einstein is calling everyone dumbasses.

And I hate it when people carry such strong language in their member title... so I guess we all have our issues...

Yeah I agree, it a huge overreaction over an issue that doesnt affect or change anything...

Its causing people to argue irrationally, and as you can see some are going as far as saying "I don't care about the performance, I care about specs. I want the specs I paid for."

So fuck the specs because the "average" customer doesn't know what they mean?

Is a serious question.

I still want to know why you defend that position. I take the "I want what I paid for" because i'm a customer, and I think that everyone wants what they pay for as customers.

But hey, don't listen to me because i'm going far "arguing irrationally" :P

I can see the 3.5/4GB thing being upsetting to some people, but getting upset about the card specs being wrong is just completely absurd when it still performs the same as it should...

If it met the advertised specs, it would perform better.

Anyway the issue is not about how the card performs, it is about how it was advertised. It was advertised falsely.

For the majority part i agree, but there are some people who Plan on using it for 4K gaming  via SLI or maybe put abit more thought like me (omg narcissism ho) into using things like VSR or even for a potention future upgrade :/ they're the ones who really got burned. 

But yea. alot of these people are just waving smoke around. :/ Still tho, we should hold nvidia somewhat accountable for this. lest this happens in the future.

Ba it will crap our sooner for future game forcing an upgrade. 970 is a broke POS end of story !

No it won't. It's not broken. 

It will work exactly how it works now. Exactly how thhe benchmarks say, exactly how it was designed. You can't tell the future for computer parts. Just because something has 3, 4, 5, 6GB of ram doesnt mean anything. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

If that video makes you mad you're obviously clueless. It's under 50fps. ofcourse it's going to run like crap lower

I don't get unplayable artifacts and seizure causing screen glitches when under 50fps.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

And I hate it when people carry such strong language in their member title... so I guess we all have our issues...

It's a reference to Linus Torvalds talking about how Nvidia was the worst company he has ever worked with, which is why I have Linus' picture with it.

Dude what? I asked him for a video demonstrating this and he linked one. It is showing performance drops over 3.5gigs of vram. I don't see how showing something at over 100fps using over 3.5gigs would show us anything different.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

They should probably refund customers a little bit or give them a free game or something, and then re-brand any further chips made.

It's a bit far to recall that many video cards- they're not broken, it's an ad issue.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

I don't own a 970, but I definitely feel like Nvidia mislead its customers.

From a public relations standpoint, Nvidia was incredibly reactive, on something they should have been proactive about. This is a quote taken directly from the article in the original post:

"NVIDIA says this was an error in the reviewer’s guide and a misunderstanding between the engineering team and the technical PR team on how the architecture itself functioned."

For now, lets grant Nvidia the benefit of the doubt and say this is what really happened.

No one from engineering decided to come forward and tell anyone that there is a major disconnect between what is being advertised and the consumer is actually buying?  Sure, we live in the age where whistle blowing is considered uncouth, but this opens Nvidia up to potential lawsuits.  This is false advertising, and I don't believe their story about a disconnect between engineering and PR for a second.  They had months to disclose this to the public, but no, the public had to find out about the problem, then confront Nvidia, and they become reactive with this cockamamie story.

I do think that if you got enough people to sign a petition, I'm talking tens of thousands, then contact a lawyer, this could get some traction.  I do think at the very least a credit towards your next Nvidia card should be given to those who bought a 970, as a minimum.

This is a very fair compromise in my opinion.  Nvidia saves face by offering their consumers a reasonable remedy, and it entices customers to buy another GPU from Nvidia down the road.

This could be a two fold victory for Nvidia, lets just see how they handle it.  To do nothing, would be very, very bad PR.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Dude what? I asked him for a video demonstrating this and he linked one. It is showing performance drops over 3.5gigs of vram. I don't see how showing something at over 100fps using over 3.5gigs would show us anything different.

yeah, if anything there would be even more frame drops at a higher FPS. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR