Do you think that Nvidia should recall 970's? (and Nvidia's response)

Doughnutnator

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to link. For me at least it isn't working.

Worked 5 minutes ago, i'm trying to find it.

This isn't nVidia's site so I can't really call it a reliable source. We can't claim false advertising and then use an external source as evidence.

Edit: I'm not saying that they are not lying but this source doesn't prove it either way.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

I can use the card for basically anything I want. That's not the point.

I just asked if Nvidia should recall the 970's because the false advertising

Original specs:

http://webcache.goog...x-review,5.html

Thanks @SteveGrabowski

That's it. If you want to fight and defend Nvidia that's fine, it's your opinion :) that doesn't change the fact they lied to customers.

Thats not how recalls work.

A recall is a company asking for its products back because of a serious issue that can be dangerous to your health.

In fact there is nothing wrong with the 970 because it performs as expected.

Is it false advertising? Yeah. Is it a lie? No, because they probably didnt notice it either because it doesnt affect performance. Should people return their cards just to get a number changed? Of course not.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thats the reviewers guide. Thats not public advertising, thats a specsheet that went to reviewers. Its not on the box, not on their website. reviewers could have found this issue out if they did a more in-depth review and run more programs than GPU-z, and nvidia could have corrected it immediately and none of this would have been an issue.  

When you go to buy the card, you dont see that number anywhere. You are getting what you paid for. If you needed to know more, you could email nvidia/buy it and test it, etc. 

And yeah, as per your last post, I respect your opinion, and TBH I think its a bit shady of them too. I'm just thinking about this from a perspective of, do they really need to do anything. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

This isn't nVidia's site so I can't really call it a reliable source. We can't claim false advertising and then use an external source as evidence.

AnandTech is among the most reliable sources in tech news.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Thats the reviewers guide. Thats not public advertising, thats a specsheet that went to reviewers. Its not on the box, not on their website. reviewers could have found this issue out if they did a more in-depth review and run more programs than GPU-z, and nvidia could have corrected it immediately and none of this would have been an issue.  

And yeah, as per your last post, I respect your opinion, and TBH I think its a bit shady of them too. I'm just thinking about this from a perspective of, do they really need to do anything. 

Yeah I thought about how it's false advertising when in none of their ads is it mentioned how many ROPs it has. If nobody told us, we would never know of it and keep using the card because it is fast for the money and overclocks like a boss.

AnandTech is among the most reliable sources in tech news.

I edited my post. But in a court case another source advertising something won't stick.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Yeah I thought about how it's false advertising when in none of their ads is it mentioned how many ROPs it has. If nobody told us, we would never know of it and keep using the card because it is fast for the money and overclocks like a boss.

People do seem to forget that the memory on GTX 970 also can never reach the advertised 224 GB/s. Its absolute maximum, when only the 3.5 part is accessed, is 196 GB/s. GTX 970 might have the same amount of VRAM. It might work around the fact that the 0.5 part of memory is very slow too, by means of smart memory allocation. But no amount of spin can twist the simple fact - GTX 970 was advertised as card that has the same amount and peak bandwith as GTX 980. And while amount is technically the same, the peak bandwith is a lie.

You can debate about the ROP issue, although it is still a lie, and arguments "if nobody told you, you would still be happy" are only appropriate in kindergarden. But memory is undebatable. GTX 970 can never reach peak 224 GB/s as advertised, the highest it can do is 196 GB/s.

On the 'performance' point supporting the Nvidia's shady dealings, how is it that you reckon i got my money's worth when i paid for a card with 4 gigs of ram but can only use 3.5 regularly and the 0.5 gig at 1/8 the speed? the performance is not there.... if not why would we experience hitching and the other nonsense?

many are right that i do not care about the ROPs and bandwidth, but i do care when my card slows down due to ram.... 

I edited my post. But in a court case another source advertising something won't stick.

There wont be a court case.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I have 970 g1's in sli and have been happy with them, sure they have had some issues but that comes with not waiting for tech to be out for a while. Would I rather have the extra specs they were supposed to have sure. Am I going to rant n rave about it? naw, they do their job and they do it well.

When GM started putting 305's in the olds and buicks people lost their minds. When they found out parts were being swapped between brands it ended in court. This is a little different, but these cars performed as test / advertised. The point was not does it do what a 5L should, its I bought a olds and it better be an olds under the hood.

No one's getting a refund and nothing is getting recalled. You might get a free game out of it

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

I have 970 g1's in sli and have been happy with them, sure they have had some issues but that comes with not waiting for tech to be out for a while.

No that comes from nvidia being greedy rip off artists.

Which just proves the point that nVidia has no reason to refund or provide compensation.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

We have people in the world willing to diet protect this? ... a forum of people whining about a company who lied about a Gaming Computer component?

Are there not bigger concerns for people?

Get over it.

#FirstWorldProblem

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

We have people in the world willing to diet protect this? ... a forum of people whining about a company who lied about a Gaming Computer component?

Are there not bigger concerns for people?

Get over it.

#FirstWorldProblem

The point is they lied and got caught. They dont deserve people money period. Dirt bag nvidia.

The point is they lied and got caught. They dont deserve people money period. Dirt bag nvidia.

This. I made this thread to know the opinion of LTT members. The "well this is court material" was just a comment, i'm not going to sue them, that's stupid if you don't have lots of money or time.

I thought that it was something to talk about in a tech forum...

People and company's lie everyday. So what? Should we all be entitled to reduced rates on Internet if we don't get the speed we paid for?
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

This. I made this thread to know the opinion of LTT members. The "well this is court material" was just a comment, i'm not going to sue them, that's stupid if you don't have lots of money or time.

I thought that it was something to talk about in a tech forum...

I see lots of opinions and not many facts. If people are having stuttering and problems post some videos of it with shadow play otherwise please stfu

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

But did they?

The only place they put this info, was a note to reviewers. They never advertised it on their boxes, on youtube, on their website. Anyone could have looked into it or asked them, but nobody did. 

And now that someone did, nvidia is being totally forthcoming and sending people to do interviews about it.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

When KIA and Hyundai lied about fuel consumption numbers it went to court and customers got money back. Seems to me this case isn't that much different.

Intel i7-5820K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // G.SKILL Ribjaws 4 DDR4 16GB@2400MHz 13-13-13-35 // Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 850 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750

The reviewers advertised the card based on the info they received from the manufacturer, Reviewers showcased the card listing it's specs and how it performs using the spec sheet NVIDIA GAVE THEM. The reviewers did NVIDIA's advertising for them!

Indeed, as far as I'm concerned the hardware review sites failed the community. And it took a few smart community folks to find out this information. Now everyone is on defense.

Intel i7-5820K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // G.SKILL Ribjaws 4 DDR4 16GB@2400MHz 13-13-13-35 // Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 850 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750