What would you recommend FX cpus for?

from what i've learned here: repetitive computation/calculation (?)

The thing is, the AMD FX kit that would get the job done cost pretty much the same as the intel that obliterates it in every way possible why using substantialy less than HALF the amount of energy...

AMD FX chips are getting harder and harder to recommend now that we are 4 years into AMD's nightmare:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($84.99 @ Micro Center)

Total: $280.97

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 20:43 EST-0500

VS:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($245.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $312.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 20:43 EST-0500

why not an 4690k ? Its cheaper than the 1231

And no cooler at all ?

I don't even think it should be an option for Video editing. If you use Adobe, It allows for OpenCL/Cuda if sony vegas there is also that. 

Streaming, maybe. There is still VCE and NVEC if you use OBS. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

$50 cheaper, gaming will likely be the same except the amd setup has an e2205 killer nic only found on $200+ boards and the ability to run sli &crossfire, a better layout regarding sata (and more fan headers id bet fwiw) and a decent dedicated audio which while isnt a dedicated soundcard or external dac is still going to be better than that other chip. plus with an aftermarket cooler (who likes to run the stock cooler on thier $800 rig?) it'll probably be quieter under load.

im not saying the rig is better in every way, power consumption will be a little higher for instance im just saying the value is more justifiable, lots of people have comapred the 4670k to the 8350..thats dumb, noone should buy either, a 4690k vs 8320e would be a better match up.

OC3D gave the 8320E his value for money reward just last month, 4 years after the PD fx8's came out, last I heard people on 2500K's are upgrading now.

£110 the £170 4690K should outperform it by 54% on every task, but it doesnt, only some.

talking of the 2500k btw, the 2600K still gets my blessing as great chip, but wheras amd lets you keep your old cpu and just upgrade the board, with intel its the other way round, like your cpu but want new features? tough.

oh and 6300 is a good idea if you have a 4+1 cheapo board and want to do gaming like bf4 etc (cant recommend fx4's sorry) and then edit the footage afterwards like my friend does on his channel, hes running an athlon x4 640 oc'd, a 6300 would be a cheap upgrade for him as he'd get 50% of the money from the sale of his old cpu. and should get nearly double the performance once given a mild overclock.

This is a pretty good summary of the current state of things. I just recently put together an AMD budget machine and the feature list on their MUCH cheaper Motherboards was a nice thing to see.

On a side note :P I got the 2500K and I have no plans of upgrading that for the next year at least :D

Are FX CPUs actually good in streaming? This video that follows is literally the only one I could find that showed clear benchmarks for it. I would think that since OBS can utilize Intel QuickSync for streaming that even an i3 would be great since the IGP can do the streaming gruntwork. Anyone here who's used both who can chime in on this?

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I don't even think it should be an option for Video editing. If you use Adobe, It allows for OpenCL/Cuda if sony vegas there is also that. 

Streaming, maybe. There is still VCE and NVEC if you use OBS. 

Even with GPU acceleration the CPU affects performance significantly.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Even with GPU acceleration the CPU affects performance significantly.

I know, but GPU acceleration can really close the gap between using an 8350 and something in the cheaper in the intel range with upgradablity.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

htpcs on a tight budget?

cont consider anything else right now

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

I know, but GPU acceleration can really close the gap between using an 8350 and something in the cheaper in the intel range with upgradablity.

Fair enough.

1- gaming will likely be the same except

2- the amd setup has an e2205 killer nic only found on $200+ boards

3- the ability to run sli &crossfire,

4- a better layout regarding sata (and more fan headers id bet fwiw) and a decent dedicated audio which while isnt a dedicated soundcard or external dac is still going to be better than that other chip.

5- plus with an aftermarket cooler (who likes to run the stock cooler on thier $800 rig?) it'll probably be quieter under load.

couldnt read any further, sorry, too many things wrong here:

1- For the wall of gaming benchmarks that clearly shows that even a low end core i3 is defeating the AMD FX-83xx and even FX-9xxx in most games see @Faceman 's post in this thread :http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/248450-need-picking-a-cpu-for-my-build/ AND...This xeon chip we are talking about is a very fast and strong quad-core CPU with hyper-threading and plenty of cache...it's a binned i7 in disguise, not a low end-core i3.

2- The killer nic is a downside to MSI motherboards an intel nic is much better to have...and killer nic is found on 100$ motherboard like mine.

3- First it's pcie 2.0 8x/8x and secondo the best AMD CPU (FX-9590) can't even properly feed a GTX 760 SLI in most games. Also, this xeon suggestion i made was considering the AMD FX for a BUDGET WORKSTATION...no SLI or CFX support required here...and for a gaming rig the FX is even less tempting as it can gets completely stomped by even a cheaper intel i5 solution that could also support SLI for about the same price as an FX kit.

4- This...this is what you got yes...but you pay a hefty price in noise, power consumption and heat output that far outwheight this slight benefit.

5- No, this xeon chip is binned to be one of the most efficient intel cpu available this one is meant to run in the worst conditions (packed in a dusty server running 24/7 for years) and it will consume 80W max. of electicity under full load. (not talking TDP here, talking actual power consumption from the wall.) the xeon under the boxed cooler will be much quieter under load than a beastly overclocked FX chip under a 212 evo, that's a given.

why not an 4690k ? Its cheaper than the 1231

And no cooler at all ?

There is a boxed cooler with the cpu that is perfectly adequate to cool this chip down...it's a very efficient cpu and the provided cooling solution is more than adequate.

space heating and overclocking fun

Back on topic:  ^^THIS

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I recomend them for heaters or toasters :lol:

That's bologna. Haswell chips run much hotter than FX chips. Where do people get this idea from? Haswells have a TJ max at a temperature that would cook an FX chip unless you can provide a magic sample of an FX chip that can survive at 90c. 

That's bologna. Haswell chips run much hotter than FX chips. Where do people get this idea from? Haswells have a TJ max at a temperature that would cook an FX chip unless you can provide a magic sample of an FX chip that can survive at 90c. 

Dunno man my i3 only goes to 60 degrees on load.

The i3 isn't comparable to an 8 core FX that competes with i5's. It's not unusual for i5's to reach 70c at load and up to 90c in stress testing. AMD has it bad enough without such misconceptions. Even considering that, 60c would still be considered borderline for an FX chip. 

you can't compare two different architecture...AMD FX maximum recommended safe temp is 62c and for the intel haswell cpu's this max is 90c...that's the cores temperature but it won't mean that the FX CPU can't throw out a lot more heat overall because it consumes a lot more energy (as much as an high-end graphics card once overclocked)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The i3 isn't comparable to an 8 core FX that competes with i5's. It's not unusual for i5's to reach 70c at load and up to 90c in stress testing. AMD has it bad enough without such misconceptions. Even considering that, 60c would still be considered borderline for an FX chip. 

The i3 is on par with FX chips in gaming.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

Whats your point?

you can't compare two different architecture...AMD FX maximum recommended safe temp is 62c and for the intel haswell cpu's this max is 90c...that's the cores temperature but it won't mean that the FX CPU throws out a lot more heat overall because it consumes a lot more energy (as much as an high-end graphics card once overclocked)

Because it's use of energy being different somehow makes 90c cooler than 62c. Yeah, alright. lol 

snip

Cherry picking a single benchmark is pointless. Find one where multithreading is used. But that's not the point at either rate. 60c is 60c regardless of the source. 

Cherry picking a single benchmark is pointless. Find one where multithreading is used. But that's not the point at either rate. 60c is 60c regardless of the source. 

Sure man:

5Klilag.png

Original BF4 benchmark:

bf4_cpu_radeon.png

youmadbro.jpg

Why do you think people dont recommend FX cpus for gaming?

snip

Why would I be mad? That benchmark shows FX chips competing with i5's. 

My original poit still stands. FX chips don't run as hot as Haswell no matter how big a strawman you build. 

Why would I be mad? That benchmark shows FX chips competing with i5's. 

My original poit still stands. FX chips don't run as hot as Haswell no matter how big a strawman you build. 

How am i a strawman if i showed you exactly what you wanted.

The i3 is clearly above the FX 8320. That was my whole point.

With stock cooler my i3 runs much cooler than my friends 8320  stock cooler so nope.

28 degrees idle from my i3 lol.

Because it's use of energy being different somehow makes 90c cooler than 62c. Yeah, alright. lol

might be cooler at the core of the CPU but the overall heat output of the AMD FX chip is much much much higher(i know for a fact i owned both BTW) an overclocked FX will heat up your room fairly quickly.