What would you recommend FX cpus for?

I know, I'm just not for the post farming that plenty of people do on here which just involve shitposting somewhat-relevant one-sentence answers to a bunch of topics that don't provide any relative help.

A lot of my time spent when I'm on here is on PCPP doing research into parts for people.

Man whatever i post my opinion on things im passionate about , you might dislike it or not but im not a post farmer in any way.

Im just a dude that likes tech.

Man whatever i post my opinion on things im passionate about , you might dislike it or not but im not a post farmer in any way.

Im just a dude that likes tech.

I know, I definitely wasn't trying to refer to you as one, you make useful posts and I respect and appreciate that. 

It's just that there's always those people out there who for example click into a thread asking about a GPU and instantly slap down "gtx 970" as an answer without reading the OP to see budget, preferences, etc. 

"Rawr XD"

most people are too noobish to go into thier bios and disable cool and quiet. cool and quiet is there to throttle the cpu down to 1.5ghz if the cpu is getting too hot, which with a stock cooler (most people use) it will constantly throttle all the time. most of these benches are done the same way either stock cooler or cool and quiet enabled or both.

also that video is at 4 ghz stock, we all know these fx chips are extreme overclockers,there's a big difference in performance from 4 ghz to 4.5...and much more at 4.7 and up.

Most benches on the internet show the gains from overclocking are very small... FX-9590 reviews show rather small margins over the FX-8350. Usually 5-10% performance gain in spite of 20% clock speed increase. I'm guessing the cache is one of the limiting factors on FX chips

Although cool n quiet shouldn't make a difference if it's working properly. Your CPU will throttle if it goes over 62C regardless of whether CNQ is enabled. Cool n Quiet is to reduce voltage and clock speed when the CPU is idle, so in gaming it shouldn't be happening.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

heres some benchmarks of new gen games with 8350 with a gtx 970 vs 4690k with 970. yes the 4690k does better but in most games its not very noticable at all. It's so close in fact if you already own a 8350 its best to just keep it until something newer and better comes along.

and i actually get better performance than this in these same games i have. so i would say its good for gaming.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

Thanks, those results are a lot better than every FX video I've come across... I wonder why some people got such bad results o__0

Battlefield 3 and 4 have this issue where something can get messed up in the files (nobody on the whole planet earth knows what is causing this including dice developpers, i spent weeks litteraly seeking info's on this...at one point on my AMD rig i had BF4 running perfectly fine like you've seen, but battlefield 3 was litteraly unplayable for me FPS around 35 to 55FPS tops...i did a complete SSD wash-out and full re-install and never got this issue again...something is broken with BF4 and it can cause this kind of performance where the CPU is struggling and the GPU is not getting fed...many users have reported this issue i have seen it countless times and sometimes even a full blown re-install of everything won't fix it.

Also it can be the software used for recording if this user was not using shadowplay...and also it looks like his settings are on ''lowish'' it's defenetly not ultra fidelity here.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Battlefield 3 and 4 have this issue where something can get messed up in the files (nobody on the whole planet earth knows what is causing this including dice developpers, i spent weeks litteraly seeking info's on this...at one point on my AMD rig i had BF4 running perfectly fine like you've seen but battlefield 3 was litteraly unplayable for me FPS around 35 to 55FPS tops...i did a complete SSD wash out and full re-install and never got this issue again...something is broken whit BF4 and it can cause this kind of performance where the CPU is struggling and the GPU is not getting fed...many users have reported this issue i have seen it countless times and sometimes even a full blown re-install of everything won't fix it.

Also it can be the software used for recording if this user was not using shadowplay...and also it looks like his settings are on ''lowish'' it's defenetly not ultra fidelity here.

Did you ever have issues with BF4 when switching displays?

Ex. When I go from my 32 Inch Tv to my 42 Inch Plasma I have to delete the BF4 profile or the Omega driver crashes or the mantle driver crashes.

Not sure why it happens but it's a weird issue.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Did you ever have issues with BF4 when switching displays?

Ex. When I go from my 32 Inch Tv to my 42 Inch Plasma I have to delete the BF4 profile or the Omega driver crashes or the mantle driver crashes.

Not sure why it happens but it's a weird issue.

no never encountered this issue...when BF4 launched my rig was core 2 quad Q6600@3.6GHZ and HD7950 GPU...CPU bottleneck obvious in most multiplayer maps of course...then mantle launched...wow the CPU was now enough to feed the video card (Yééé) but i was constantly running out of VRAM and the game was stuttering real bad after a minute or two playing (booo) so i had to turn it off and upgrade my processor.

I then got an FX-8320@4.6ghz paired with the HD7950 (perfect match no bottleneck playing bf4 at nearly utlra settings, GPU fed all it can handle in 90%+ of the games tested) then i made a bold move: purchase of a mighty GTX 780 GPU...performance in BF4 skyrocketed...now playing full ultra and full anti-aliasing maxed out settings, GPU fed all it can handle, BF3 now run's like poop where as before it was perfectly fine.

Then i started monitoring GPU loads in other games of my collection because what i considered at the time ''intel fanboys from LTT forums'' convinced me it was worth taking a look at...and i got a big let down seing GPU usage hovering anywhere between 60 to 80% in many games no vsync ultra settings...AMD FX was a very big and costly let down for me, i owned the kit for 3 months only and ended up selling it for like half of what i paid for it...can't stand having paid a 500$ GPU to watch it sitting there waiting for the old CPU to feed her up so i had to do something about it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That temperature only measures how hot the cores are, theoretically. However AMD FX CPUs (and possibly Phenom and APUs, I'm not sure) are measured differently than others. But for example let's compare an Intel i5-4570 on the stock cooler to an i5-4690K overclocked at 1.3V on an aftermarket cooler. Let's say the 4570 runs at 75C, while the 4690K is running at 65-70C thanks to its beefier cooling. The 4690K, while its cores are cooler, is pumping out more heat into your room regardless of the measured temperature.

Measured temperature of the cores (or in the case of the FX CPUs I'm not quite sure what it's measuring) is not indicative of how much heat is being generated. An FX CPU still generates more heat just because it consumes a lot more power, and that's where the heat comes from... although it's quite possible that the cores themselves are running cooler. It's also very possible that it's not measuring the core temperature.

+1

Have you guys disabled Origin in-game from the Origin settings? It's a performance killer and causes major framedips for me

@Dive5885 @i_build_nanosuits

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Have you guys disabled Origin in-game from the Origin settings? It's a performance killer and causes major framedips for me

never really paid attention to this back then...i can see its disabled now...could it just be that stupid? maybe...

I like my 8350 @ 5ghz in canadian winters, i can downclock to 4.5 in summer if its to hot.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Yeah I have Origin in game disabled on all my Origin Games

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W