AMD is already designing products on the 14nm node

Deletive

Well, sure, sales nombers never really show what the sensible choice is ^^ iphones sell like cupcakes too for that matter :)

But more than the actual quality of the gpus I think there's marketing to blame for that. Nvidia always made sure they got as much visibility as possible, slapping their logo everywhere and paying OEMs to use their gpus in their prebuilts.

That's true too. Hopefully with all the money AMD has been saving hopefully the R9 380X will live up to its HYPE!

Steve

When's all there new stuff scheduled for launch?

In the future. We do not know as of it. Could be 2015, 2016, 2017. Nobody knows.

This ^. Intel barely has competition now and Nvidia takes everything over the 970 price bracket

Intel is seeing pressure from the Power 8 and Power 9 chips from IBM, 6 and 12-core 5GHz beasts that they are.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I want to see AMD go up against the Intel Extreme CPUs

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Yup and yet 970s are still flying off of shelves. I mean the 290 isn't much more expensive than the 280x here.

i feel sort of bad for saying this but its sort of the fault of tech reviewers like linus saying oh its an amazing price to performance card and you cant get better anywhere else

amd for the win, can't wait for them to bring in a new line up of fx cpus hopefully with ddr4 and pci3.0 and stronger cpu cores.

Amd has at less in recent years had a much better price for performance line up, which really shows at their higher level cards and cpus.

"If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."   -Martin Luther King, Jr

If Zen delivers performance and is built on 14nm FinFET then Intel will finally be feeling the heat. K12 will be built on 14nm FinFET so I don't see why Zen wouldn't be as they share architecture similarities. It would be interesting to see Intel and AMD on the same node once again.

amd for the win, can't wait for them to bring in a new line up of fx cpus hopefully with ddr4 and pci3.0 and stronger cpu cores.

Amd has at less in recent years had a much better price for performance line up, which really shows at their higher level cards and cpus.

dedicated CPUs will be all but extinct by the end of the decade. APUs are the future, regardless of what you may think concerning AMD's flop products. Intel is full steam ahead on this direction as well. I doubt we'll see Zen launching on just a dedicated CPU line. I expect it'll be the same relationship as the current A-series and current Athlons where the Athlons just are the APUs where the iGPU is disabled.

If Zen delivers performance and is built on 14nm FinFET then Intel will finally be feeling the heat. K12 will be built on 14nm FinFET so I don't see why Zen wouldn't be as they share architecture similarities. It would be interesting to see Intel and AMD on the same node once again.

I doubt Intel will feel much heat for long. AMD certainly won't surpass them across the board in one fell swoop, and even if they close a decent performance gap, Intel has the same HDL tools at its disposal along with many other tricks they've kept hidden since competition has been scarce from all but IBM's most recent 6 and 12-core, 5GHz monster Power 8 and Power 9 chips.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

"Working on" and "producing" are two entirely different things.

Intel are already putting 14nm chips in the hands of consumers. By the time this is even close to launch we'll be at Skylake or even Cannonlake

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I honestly hope this is an APU. this would mean that they are making 14nm GPUs and CPUs, which will get them closer to Intel and also thoroughly beat Nvidia to death.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Meh

In America 290's are $240 and the cheapest 970 is $315, I don't see a reason why someone would spend the extra $75 for 10% performance unless they really wanted the Nvidia features and/or power consumption is a big deal to them (it shouldn't be for most people). 

edit: 290x's are $270 (cheapest one) and they are about the same at 1080p and significantly better at 4k, I don't see many reasons to go with a 970 atm :S

So that you can take advantage of that 3.5GB of RAM :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I doubt Intel will feel much heat for long. AMD certainly won't surpass them across the board in one fell swoop, and even if they close a decent performance gap, Intel has the same HDL tools at its disposal along with many other tricks they've kept hidden since competition has been scarce from all but IBM's most recent 6 and 12-core, 5GHz monster Power 8 and Power 9 chips.

I doubt Intel will spend R&D into developing their own HDL like AMD has. Especially given the limiting factors from using HDL it doesn't exactly fit into Intel's tick/tock cycle. There is a reason why Excavator isn't going to make it to the desktop and it's partial to HDL. Intel is hoping to move away from silicon in 2017 so they have bigger plans in the works than targeting power consumption that they currently are ruling at in the x86 market. I was implying if Carrizo was built on 14nm FinFET it would been a strong competitor to Intel's Broadwell in performance per watt across the board. AMD has a bright future especially with the two massive guns under their belt both Zen and K12 being developed by and in partial with the legendary Jim Keller. Top that with a 14nm FinFET design and even the biggest Intel fanboy has to admit AMD could come back swinging very hard. Everything is lined up in AMD's favor to once again go for the performance throne. I doubt we will see HDL used in the desktop variant of Zen for obvious reasons. Unless AMD can really get their IPC up by that much to where they take us back into the Athlon 64 days where the 2.4 GHz Athlon 64 was beating the snot out of Intel's 3.0+ GHz Pentium 4. Given that exceptional case then there's a possibility that HDL may be used in Zen.

I'm surprised that people are surprised. Of course they're working on 14nm parts and 10nm and they'll work on 7nm when it comes out. It's just the natural progression.

Lisa Su had confirmed that both Zen and K12 were 14nm FinFET based last year which I covered way back.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/226411-samsung-will-begin-manufacturing-amds-14nm-zen-core-by-years-end/page-4

Intel is seeing pressure from the Power 8 and Power 9 chips from IBM, 6 and 12-core 5GHz beasts that they are.

Will those chips be available in a consumer-usable form?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

"Working on" and "producing" are two entirely different things.

Intel are already putting 14nm chips in the hands of consumers. By the time this is even close to launch we'll be at Skylake or even Cannonlake

It costs a shit-ton to develop these chips. Everyone else uses Samsung/Global Foundries and TSMC. Yes Intel is ahead with their node but Intel pays billions to get ahead which is something other companies just don't have.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Intel desperately needs some competition.

Qualcomm is a bigger threat to Intel than AMD is.

It costs a shit-ton to develop these chips. Everyone else uses Samsung/Global Foundries and TSMC. Yes Intel is ahead with their node but Intel pays billions to get ahead which is something other companies just don't have.

And?

AMD are at this point likely around two years behind Intel in terms of 14nm.

While this is obviously due to the money Intel have, people going "Oh wow AMD good job you'll get Intel soon!" Is pretty misguided.

If there hadn't of been issues with 16/14nm FinFET from TSMC and Samsung, then maybe.

However, the point I'm making is that this doesn't mean much because of where Intel will be when AMD are finally producing first gen 14nm products.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

And?

AMD are at this point likely around two years behind Intel in terms of 14nm.

While this is obviously due to the money Intel have, people going "Oh wow AMD good job you'll get Intel soon!" Is pretty misguided.

If there hadn't of been issues with 16/14nm FinFET from TSMC and Samsung, then maybe.

However, the point I'm making is that this doesn't mean much because of where Intel will be when AMD are finally producing first gen 14nm products.

Other then iGPU which AMD is fully capable of, Intel isn't going to improve much on the CPU side in skylake and even less in cannonlake. Yeah there will be some improvements but Intel is mainly focused on Efficency and the IGPU now and not CPU performance.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Great! Can't wait for their GPU's right now but if we will get "Zen" Cpus at 14nm that would be awesome!

zen is in the final stages. no way is it going to be 14nm. maybe the refresh.

I really like the stuff AMD's currently doing! I really hope that they can retain their momentum and really show nVidia and Intel that they're still a force to be reckoned with! 

Go AMD, Go Lisa Su!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

zen is in the final stages. no way is it going to be 14nm. maybe the refresh.

it is supposed to arrive at Q4 2015 or Q1 2016. They *might* have time to try to squeeze it on 14 nm, and honestly, Lisa Su seems to be the person, who wants 9 woman to deliver 1 baby in 1 month. it was more like a joke, but AMD needs a person, who wakes up the whole company and drive everyone at 110% and make incredible deadlines

Sure they can design it, much in the way an architect can design a 5 kilometer tall building, but getting someone to actually produce the chips? Good luck with that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wonder how small the processes can get before we hit a wall and can't go farther. I remember being on a 180nm? Pentium 3 5 years ago, and have made stops at 130, 90, 65, 45, and now 22nm along the way. This is crazy for me. Must be crazier for people that have been around since at least the 8086.

Nah they are probably using quantum computers :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

i feel sort of bad for saying this but its sort of the fault of tech reviewers like linus saying oh its an amazing price to performance card and you cant get better anywhere else

AMDs problem is there lack of marketing compared to Nvidia and like you said.

Steve

Will those chips be available in a consumer-usable form?

It's a server/supercomputer space only deal right now. That said, innovations there trickle down to consumer hardware eventually.