My First Pc Build

Techwiz707
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,

So if I just left the RAM alone and overclocked the CPU, the RAM will run at a slightly lower speed? (not a very noticeable one right?) 

Also I remeber you said it before, but what software do you use to overclock the CPU and GPU, and how much does it cost to download (or do u even download it)?

After you buy the hardware, overclocking is free =).

The Bitfenix Recon can actually turn fans off even...I just like that feature.

@Techwiz707  I could just tell you what to do, but I won't.  I want to to understand your options and make a decision based on the information you gather.  Make a distinct decision for your personal build.  This is how we learn. 

I won't let you buy anything that will flat out not work.  :)

Do you think i should get the led fans that you recommended or the corsair ones that I chose (not the stock ones). Also what do fan controllers do and why would you want them? (sorry im really new to this stuff) 

I still wouldn't get LED fans to clash with the aluminum on the Corsair 450D. I chose the Air Quiets because they are quieter and look better than the stock fans.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The Bitfenix Recon can actually turn fans off even...I just like that feature.

@Techwiz707  I could just tell you what to do, but I won't.  I want to to understand your options and make a decision based on the information you gather.  Make a distinct decision for your personal build.  This is how we learn. 

I won't let you buy anything that will flat out not work.  :)

So for the fan controller to work I will need to buy the hub and controller?

So for the fan controller to work I will need to buy the hub and controller?

No, just one =).  I only have the Recon.  But if you have 15 fans, you COULD use both :D .

No, just one =).  I only have the Recon.  But if you have 15 fans, you COULD use both :D .

xD ok so If i get the Recon, It just allows me to speed up, slow down, and turn off the fans? Is it hard to install? Does it go inside the case of does it just sit on the top? (outside)

I still wouldn't get LED fans to clash with the aluminum on the Corsair 450D. I chose the Air Quiets because they are quieter and look better than the stock fans.

Hey can u help me?  I added a sentry 3 fan controller to my build, but at the pc part picker page there are some compatibility notes, I have no clue what they mean.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MBpcFT

EDIT: sorry here is the updated link  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fjDW6h

Hey can u help me?  I added a sentry 3 fan controller to my build, but at the pc part picker page there are some compatibility notes, I have no clue what they mean.

Haswell restricts the voltage on RAM by default so it will run at a lower clock speed to satisfy voltage requirements. You can overclock the RAM back to the factory overclock.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Haswell restricts the voltage on RAM by default so it will run at a lower clock speed to satisfy voltage requirements. You can overclock the RAM back to the factory overclock.

How do I overclock the RAM, and will it damage my computer, because of the restricted voltage?

How do I overclock the RAM, and will it damage my computer, because of the restricted voltage?

I do not know actually - I've never overclocked RAM.

@ knows how.

EDIT: sorry here is the updated link  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fjDW6h

Here you go this should help. 

xD ok so If i get the Recon, It just allows me to speed up, slow down, and turn off the fans? Is it hard to install? Does it go inside the case of does it just sit on the top? (outside)

Yes.  It is fairly easy to install.  The only thing is if you are okay with how it looks: 

http://i.imgur.com/HClHw.jpg

There are always other ways to control fans.  Buying PWM fans for the radiator allows full control (except for turning off completely) by simply connecting to the motherboard.  Let me check your motherboard to see how many 4-pin sockets it has...1 sec..

Is there any way I can fix my issue with the  Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V), without overclocking my RAM?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fjDW6h

Just run the RAM at a higher clock and it will fix itself. When you overclock the CPU the RAM will run at whatever speed it likes - usually lower than stock. It can simply be adjusted though through the BIOS.

@Techwiz707 Your motherboard G55 can support up to 5 PWM fans.

Cool, I will only use 3 fans (not including the stock fans that come with the cpu cooler radiator)

Just run the RAM at a higher clock and it will fix itself. When you overclock the CPU the RAM will run at whatever speed it likes - usually lower than stock. It can simply be adjusted though through the BIOS.

So if I just left the RAM alone and overclocked the CPU, the RAM will run at a slightly lower speed? (not a very noticeable one right?) 

Also I remeber you said it before, but what software do you use to overclock the CPU and GPU, and how much does it cost to download (or do u even download it)?

Cool, I will only use 3 fans (not including the stock fans that come with the cpu cooler radiator)

The stock radiator fans you must control, they are loud at 100%.  The radiator replacement fans... those HAVE to be PWM to have access to their speeds.

I actually have one of these on my CPU cooler.  At 2.2mmH2O (Static Pressure), they are decent performers with a low noise level:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lepa-case-fan-lpvx12p

It will run slower and no you will not realistically notice and YES you can clock it back up again later.

To overclock the CPU you do that through your BIOS. To overclock your GPU, use MSI Afterburner and then any program to run the overclock settings for awhile to see if there's any artifacting on the screen and the temps are safe.

Your GSkill RAM is 2133 MHZ, you might want to leave it alone.

After you buy the hardware, overclocking is free =).

Your GSkill RAM is 2133 MHZ, you might want to leave it alone.

So I shouldn't overclock at all. and Why

It will run slower and no you will not realistically notice and YES you can clock it back up again later.

To overclock the CPU you do that through your BIOS. To overclock your GPU, use MSI Afterburner and then any program to run the overclock settings for awhile to see if there's any artifacting on the screen and the temps are safe.

Is it hard to overclock the CPU. 

(srry keep in mind this is my first build and I am a huge noob :P)

So I shouldn't overclock at all. and Why

Not the RAM, hell no.  Focus on other things.  You can overclock the RAM waaay later.  When you get comfortable with doing stuff... like a year later... or two years later.

Example:  RAM at 1600 CL9 responds to a request in 0.005625 seconds.  Same RAM at 2133 responds in 0.004219 seconds.  At 2400... 0.00375 seconds...

You won't notice a difference.  You will maybe save a couple of minutes of computing time over a year's time. =D