My First Pc Build

Techwiz707
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,

So if I just left the RAM alone and overclocked the CPU, the RAM will run at a slightly lower speed? (not a very noticeable one right?) 

Also I remeber you said it before, but what software do you use to overclock the CPU and GPU, and how much does it cost to download (or do u even download it)?

After you buy the hardware, overclocking is free =).

Not the RAM, hell no.  Focus on other things.  You can overclock the RAM waaay later.  When you get comfortable with doing stuff... like a year later... or two years later.

Example:  RAM at 1600 CL9 responds to a request in 0.005625 seconds.  Same RAM at 2133 responds in 0.004219 seconds.  At 2400... 0.00375 seconds...

You won't notice a difference.  You will maybe save a couple of minutes of computing time over a year's time. =D

Ok, so it should be fine to overclock the CPU and GPU right?

Is it hard to overclock the CPU. 

(srry keep in mind this is my first build and I am a huge noob :P)

Eh? Kinda...

You can find thousands of videos on YouTube and one of them should probably show you a guide with your exact BIOS.

This isn't perfect but it gives you the general idea

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Is it hard to overclock the CPU. 

(srry keep in mind this is my first build and I am a huge noob :P)

It takes a level of knowledge and is quite easy to do with the current hardware.  You will run stock for a week or two before you even think about overclocking.  Don't worry about the actual overclocking for now.  Just make sure you parts are READY to overclock.

:)

Do you think i need extra fans on the radiator? Is it neccisarry?

It depends on how quiet you want your system.  If you want to just try the stock fans, do that.  If they are too loud, you can switch them later.

..and we are ALL noobs btw.  :P

Ok, so it should be fine to overclock the CPU and GPU right?

No more overclocking talk, only "overclocking capable hardware" talks.  :)

It takes a level of knowledge and is quite easy to do with the current hardware.  You will run stock for a week or two before you even think about overclocking.  Don't worry about the actual overclocking for now.  Just make sure you parts are READY to overclock.

:)

Ya ur right, I mean the prosessor I selcted is already fast at 4ghz, honestly do I even need to overclock? Im prob just going to overclock my two GPU's. Im prob going to stick with the stock fans on the radiator. And when i get the radiator do i need to fill it up with water?

Ya ur right, I mean the prosessor I selcted is already fast at 4ghz, honestly do I even need to overclock? Im prob just going to overclock my two GPU's. Im prob going to stick with the stock fans on the radiator. And when i get the radiator do i need to fill it up with water?

I don't think you need to overclock any of it right away.  Not the CPU, not the GPU.

The CPU block and the radiator are call a "closed loop" system.  It means you can't drain it or add water to it.

I have an Ivy Bridge i5 3570K and I STILL am running stock after two years.

My AMD Phenom II X6 was another story.  I overclocked that thing by an extra 1 GHz after the first two weeks.  =)

How do I overclock the RAM, and will it damage my computer, because of the restricted voltage?

If you are using a modern motherboard then to run memory at its advertised speed & timings (overclock) go into the BIOS and enable XMP / select an XMP profile. XMP, Extreme Memory Profile, are Intel certified settings for running the memory kit faster than the default. Memory kits that run at higher speeds do tend to need a slightly higher voltage. Given that Intel certifies these profiles I would presume added wear and tear on the memory controller would be reasonably low.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Eh? Kinda...

You can find thousands of videos on YouTube and one of them should probably show you a guide with your exact BIOS.

This isn't perfect but it gives you the general idea

Hi guys (I quoted strmfrxmn just to make sure he sees it :P). Ive kinda edited my build by changing/adding things. Please check it out and tell me what you think. I know that I went against what some of you said like to not use led fans, or not to buy razer products, but I feel that this build suits me well. I have changed the SSD, the motherboard, the liquid cpu cooler, dvd drive (does the drive I selected able to read dvds such as instalation cds, thats the reason why im getting a dvd drive), and I also changed the fans. For the fans I got a corsair SP140 (140mm) led dual pack to cool my radiator, two Corsair CO-9050017- Blue led (140 mm) fans for the case intake fans, and a Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (120mm) fan for the exhaust.  Can you guys tell me what you think, and will everything work together? Thanks, I really appreciate all the help :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KcWGNG

Hi guys (I quoted strmfrxmn just to make sure he sees it :P). Ive kinda edited my build by changing/adding things. Please check it out and tell me what you think. I know that I went against what some of you said like to not use led fans, or not to buy razer products, but I feel that this build suits me well. I have changed the SSD, the motherboard, the liquid cpu cooler, dvd drive (does the drive I selected able to read dvds such as instalation cds, thats the reason why im getting a dvd drive), and I also changed the fans. For the fans I got a corsair SP140 (140mm) led dual pack to cool my radiator, two Corsair CO-9050017- Blue led (140 mm) fans for the case intake fans, and a Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (120mm) fan for the exhaust.  Can you guys tell me what you think, and will everything work together? Thanks, I really appreciate all the help :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KcWGNG

Well it looks good besides the Razer mouse. If you must have a wireless mouse made by the most unreliable company pretty much ever then I highly suggest you get an extended warranty to be safe.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Build looks fine, do you really need the $70 sound card for something in particular?  The on-board (motherboard) audio is good.

Build looks fine, do you really need the $70 sound card for something in particular?  The on-board (motherboard) audio is good.

Are you sure? I dont plan on really doing any music making or stuff, I just want my games to sound really good. 

Are you sure? I dont plan on really doing any music making or stuff, I just want my games to sound really good. 

Yeah, motherboard sound will be fine.

Yeah, motherboard sound will be fine.

Ok, cool. So ill remove that at save 70 bucks. Also after i built everything and put everything together, now what? Turn the system on and then install the os? Also do I have to install drivers for everything? Sorry i really have no clue what to do after i build the system, I dont even really know what drivers is.

Ok, cool. So ill remove that at save 70 bucks. Also after i built everything and put everything together, now what? Turn the system on and then install the os? Also do I have to install drivers for everything? Sorry i really have no clue what to do after i build the system, I dont even really know what drivers is.

When you boot it up you need to have your installation media ready. You can put your Windows disc into the optical drive (I suggest plugging that in rather than USB install since you have both an optical drive and a disc copy of Windows handy) and boot it up. Chances are it'll go straight to your Windows install disc. If it doesn't, find you way into your BIOS (usually repeatedly tapping F12 or Delete or some button like that at boot - every BIOS is different) and set (in the Boot Menu Order) "Removable drives" as the first boot option. Ocne you do that it will run the Windows 8.1 setup for you. You can choose to do a Custom or Express install. I suggest you do a custom and uncheck every single thing that looks like Microsoft trying to track you. Also uncheck the OneDrive one when that comes up if you won't use OneDrive and use Dropbox or Google Drive instead.

Once that is done, you'll be greeted at the desktop and you might have a weird screen resolution. Go to http://www.geforce.com/driversand do a download of your drivers for your GPU before ALL ELSE so that icky screen resolution goes away. 

Make sure you do all other updates before installing any games or such. You can install browsers or Antivirus etc though. Just no hugely important programs.

Hope this helps! Also make sure to remove the install disc when you finally do boot to the desktop so you don't leave it in there the next time you boot your PC!

When you boot it up you need to have your installation media ready. You can put your Windows disc into the optical drive (I suggest plugging that in rather than USB install since you have both an optical drive and a disc copy of Windows handy) and boot it up. Chances are it'll go straight to your Windows install disc. If it doesn't, find you way into your BIOS (usually repeatedly tapping F12 or Delete or some button like that at boot - every BIOS is different) and set (in the Boot Menu Order) "Removable drives" as the first boot option. Ocne you do that it will run the Windows 8.1 setup for you. You can choose to do a Custom or Express install. I suggest you do a custom and uncheck every single thing that looks like Microsoft trying to track you. Also uncheck the OneDrive one when that comes up if you won't use OneDrive and use Dropbox or Google Drive instead.

Once that is done, you'll be greeted at the desktop and you might have a weird screen resolution. Go to http://www.geforce.com/driversand do a download of your drivers for your GPU before ALL ELSE so that icky screen resolution goes away. 

Make sure you do all other updates before installing any games or such. You can install browsers or Antivirus etc though. Just no hugely important programs.

Hope this helps! Also make sure to remove the install disc when you finally do boot to the desktop so you don't leave it in there the next time you boot your PC!

Do I select the automatic driver updates for the gpus? When I put the disk in, will it ask me if I want to save windows to the ssd? And also when you say do all other updates, what other updates are there?

Do I select the automatic driver updates for the gpus? When I put the disk in, will it ask me if I want to save windows to the ssd? And also when you say do all other updates, what other updates are there?

I suggest you do automatic driver updates for GPUs, yes.

When you install Windows it will bring up all drives you can install it to. Select the Smallest one because the OCZ Arc 100 will be your smallest drive in there. That way you get ultra fast Windows loading. If you select the bigger drive then you would install it on your much slower hard drive which you do NOT want to do.

When you install Windows there will be updates right out of the box. On Windows 8.1 go to the charms bar (hover your mouse either to the top right or bottom right), click settings, go to Change PC Settings at the bottom and from within there the options for your Windows updates will show up. I suggest setting them to automatic if you don't want to mess with them. I also suggest keeping your PC on for about a day or two when you first open it up. When you do this, anything that needs updating will install and then you're free to restart the PC to finish all updates.

When you install Windows it will bring up all drives you can install it to. Select the Smallest one because the OCZ Arc 100 will be your smallest drive in there. That way you get ultra fast Windows loading. If you select the bigger drive then you would install it on your much slower hard drive which you do NOT want to do.

When you install Windows there will be updates right out of the box. On Windows 8.1 go to the charms bar (hover your mouse either to the top right or bottom right), click settings, go to Change PC Settings at the bottom and from within there the options for your Windows updates will show up. I suggest setting them to automatic if you don't want to mess with them. I also suggest keeping your PC on for about a day or two when you first open it up. When you do this, anything that needs updating will install and then you're free to restart the PC to finish all updates.

Ok so basicly, turn on my pc, open my disk drive, put the windows disk in, select install on SSD, do manual setup and dont select windows crap that I dont need, wait for it to install, instal a web browser, go to the nvida link you gave me and select automatic driver updates, then selcect automatic windows updates, install other stuff like steam and orgin, then play with my computer a bit, and then leave it on over night and restart it in the morning?

p.s I also added a static wrist wrap to my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qdnQxr

Ok so basicly, turn on my pc, open my disk drive, put the windows disk in, select install on SSD, do manual setup and dont select windows crap that I dont need, wait for it to install, instal a web browser, go to the nvida link you gave me and select automatic driver updates, then selcect automatic windows updates, install other stuff like steam and orgin, then play with my computer a bit, and then leave it on over night and restart it in the morning?

Install Steam and stuff but don't actually install any games. Depending on your internet speed you may want to leave your PC on for less ore more than one day.

On my internet (55 down 11 up) it took about 3 hours to download the updates after installing 8.1. After you do those updates there will be MOAR because Microsoft... just install every last update to everything before installing large programs like Adobe stuff or any games on your hard drive.

p.s I also added a static wrist wrap to my build.

Expensive stuff you're dealing with so not a bad idea.

Install Steam and stuff but don't actually install any games. Depending on your internet speed you may want to leave your PC on for less ore more than one day.

On my internet (55 down 11 up) it took about 3 hours to download the updates after installing 8.1. After you do those updates there will be MOAR because Microsoft... just install every last update to everything before installing large programs like Adobe stuff or any games on your hard drive.

So other than installing steam and stuff, do all the steps that I listed in that order? And then dont touch my pc for like about a day?

So other than installing steam and stuff, do all the steps that I listed in that order? And then dont touch my pc for like about a day?

Well, say you go to work school/. Check that the PC is still installing updates before you leave. If it isn't, restart the thing. I suggest not setting up a password so that it can boot to the desktop on it's own and magically start doing updates while you're away. If you have a password lock then it'll be restricted from booting to the desktop to finish installing updates.

Or do whatever's convenient. If this all sounds like a bit much I would just check your PC before you go and restart it.

Well, say you go to work school/. Check that the PC is still installing updates before you leave. If it isn't, restart the thing. I suggest not setting up a password so that it can boot to the desktop on it's own and magically start doing updates while you're away. If you have a password lock then it'll be restricted from booting to the desktop to finish installing updates.

Or do whatever's convenient. If this all sounds like a bit much I would just check your PC before you go and restart it.

Ok thaks, I will probably put this think together in spring or summer anywhere from april to the end of summertime. Thanks a lot. I will ask futher questions when If I come up with more and  will tell you when I get my parts or complete my build. Thanks a lot :) 

I think I'll probably just skip the 450D and go for the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. For about the same price, you have a lot more features, better build quality and room than what the 450D can support. It also looks IMO better, especially with the stealth PSU and drive tray shroud.

Not saying that the 450D's terrible, in fact, it's also a consideration for my planned build considering that the Enthoo Pro's disappointingly not available here in the Philippines. If you want something a little more compact (450D's a mid-tower and the Enthoo Pro's a full-tower), then the 450D's a great choice. If sizing and availability's not a problem, then the Enthoo Pro will have my pick because of the aforementioned benefits of the said chassis above. But then again, personal preference. This is just a way to help narrow down your decision... :D

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.