My First Pc Build

Techwiz707
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,

So if I just left the RAM alone and overclocked the CPU, the RAM will run at a slightly lower speed? (not a very noticeable one right?) 

Also I remeber you said it before, but what software do you use to overclock the CPU and GPU, and how much does it cost to download (or do u even download it)?

After you buy the hardware, overclocking is free =).

Thank you. Also do you have to buy and sli bridge for graphics cards or do they come with it? If you need to buy them which one would u recommend

I believe it comes with your motherboard if it's SLI certified. Not sure about AMD Crossfire although I assume it's the same.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I prefer greens because I like the click and have very heavy hands. They also have a tactile bump which I love for typing.

If you like light, well browns, blues or reds are for you. 

If you like tactile, browns, clears, blues or greens are for you.

If you like heavy, clears, black or greens are for you.

If you don't like the tactile bump then reds or blacks are for you.

Also which graphics card do you think is better (for 4k gaming) two 

ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 980 

Or two  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card 

Also which graphics card do you think is better (for 4k gaming) two 

ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 980 

Or two  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card 

EVGA has better coolers so go for that card.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Ok well Im almost 100% sure that this will be my final build. How do you think it is overall? Are all the parts compatible with each other? Are these good parts? Anything you would change?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KbzTD3

Side note: Ik i went against what some people said about not getting razer and change the motherboard and stuff like that but i like these products and i am prob going to get them?

Are the graphics cards and cpu I selected also good for overclocking? Also how do you overclock? Like download something to do it? 

Are the graphics cards and cpu I selected also good for overclocking? Also how do you overclock? Like download something to do it? 

Use MSI Afterburner or something similar for your GPU. The CPU has to be done tediously through the BIOS.

Ok well Im almost 100% sure that this will be my final build. How do you think it is overall? Are all the parts compatible with each other? Are these good parts? Anything you would change?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KbzTD3

Side note: Ik i went against what some people said about not getting razer and change the motherboard and stuff like that but i like these products and i am prob going to get them?

I said don't get Razer for a reason unless you want to waste your money on a product that could die on you at any given moment. Razer stopped making any good stuff as of last year and you should just avoid anything they make that has some sort of mechanical or light-up function that could die. And the motherboard was swapped because a Micro ATX board will look a bit funny and not perform as well as an ATX board which you should get.

Seriosuly though, if you want a wireless mouse then get the Logitech G700 or G602. You don't need to worry about an SLI bridge. And maybe look into a motherboard that could color match your LED fans that also happens to be ATX?

Alrighty, does this look a bit better?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($108.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.98 @ Directron) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($549.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($549.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: Logitech G602 Wireless Optical Mouse  ($54.99 @ Best Buy) 
Other: Corsair Gaming K70 RGB LED Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Red switches ($207.99)
Other: Corsair Gaming MM200 Standard Edition Cloth Gaming Mouse Mat  ($16.99)
Total: $2670.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 00:07 EST-0500

Alrighty, does this look a bit better?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($108.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.98 @ Directron) 
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: Logitech G602 Wireless Optical Mouse  ($54.99 @ Best Buy) 
Other: Corsair Gaming K70 RGB LED Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Red switches ($207.99)
Other: Corsair Gaming MM200 Standard Edition Cloth Gaming Mouse Mat  ($16.99)
Total: $2670.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 00:07 EST-0500

Did you only change the mouse and motherboard, just wondering. And Yes, that does look a lot better.  I have a question about the motherboard, is the onboard sound good where I dont need a sound card, and will this fit nicely inside my selected case?

Did you only change the mouse and motherboard, just wondering. And Yes, that does look a lot better.  I have a question about the motherboard, is the onboard sound good where I dont need a sound card, and will this fit nicely inside my selected case?

And do you think blue RAM would like nicer on the motherboard and case? (same RAM just in a blue color)

Onboard sound is fine as long as your headphones aren't crazy high-end ones where the sound quality is actually bottlenecked by the onboard sound. If you don't have Sennheiser HD700s or something along those lines then onboard sound will be perfect.

And your selected case is actually a bit tricky to work in. I wouldn't do it for a first time build but if you really like the way it looks then go for it.

And do you think blue RAM would like nicer on the motherboard and case? (same RAM just in a blue color)

I don't see why not.

Onboard sound is fine as long as your headphones aren't crazy high-end ones where the sound quality is actually bottlenecked by the onboard sound. If you don't have Sennheiser HD700s or something along those lines then onboard sound will be perfect.

And your selected case is actually a bit tricky to work in. I wouldn't do it for a first time build but if you really like the way it looks then go for it.

Just  wondering, how is it tricky to work in? And are there any other cases that are easier that look stealth, slick, and all black like the one I chose?

Just  wondering, how is it tricky to work in? And are there any other cases that are easier that look stealth, slick, and all black like the one I chose?

It's tricky because of it's awkward shape and size. A Fractal Define R5 is probably the best case in the world for a first time builder, although your dual GPUs might want a bit more airflow.

Perhaps a Corsair 450D?

I don't see why not.

And what is the difference between corsair vengance pro and corsair vengance?

And what is the difference between corsair vengance pro and corsair vengance?

Let's just say you won't notice a difference. RAM speeds are negligible for nearly everything besides an APU with no GPU where RAM speeds and low latency can really help.

But trust me on this, you will not have to worry about the differences. If the speeds are 1600 MHz or higher then you're good.

Let's just say you won't notice a difference. RAM speeds are negligible for nearly everything besides an APU with no GPU where RAM speeds and low latency can really help.

But trust me on this, you will not have to worry about the differences. If the speeds are 1600 MHz or higher then you're good.

Thx ok so I think i Will get the Corsair 450D, but it has two 140 mm intake fans on the front that I want to replace with my own blue led fan. Do you know any blue LED light fan that is 140mm. Also will this case fit all my parts such as my radiator for the cpu cooler, motherboard, graphics cards, ect. ?

Thx ok so I think i Will get the Corsair 450D, but it has two 140 mm intake fans on the front that I want to replace with my own blue led fan. Do you know any blue LED light fan that is 140mm. Also will this case fit all my parts such as my radiator for the cpu cooler, motherboard, graphics cards, ect. ?

The case will fit everything with no trouble at all.

The front fans, IMO, should be Corsair Air Quiets (they come with a blue ring you can stylize it with) instead of LED fans which will look quite garish in contrast to the super sexy brushed aluminum front. The brushed aluminum looks like this BTW.

IMG_973601.jpg

But yeah, Air Quiets come with different colored rings you can swap and one of them is blue and you don't have to pay any extra.

The front fans, IMO, should be Corsair Air Quiets (they come with a blue ring you can stylize it with) instead of LED fans which will look quite garish in contrast to the super sexy brushed aluminum front. The brushed aluminum looks like this BTW.

IMG_973601.jpg

But yeah, Air Quiets come with different colored rings you can swap and one of them is blue and you don't have to pay any extra.

So just to clarify, this case (I think its the one you are talking about) fits EVERYTHING perfectly, and comes with blue rings for all 3 fans in the box? Or do i need to get the fans myself?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139042&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

P.s I will not get the led lights because of what you said about it ruining the metal look.

IMG_973601.jpg

And where would I put the Radiator for the liquid cpu cooler? On the top? Or on the bottom?

And where would I put the Radiator for the liquid cpu cooler? On the top? Or on the bottom?

Radiator should go at the TOP if you can fit it with all of your components in their (shouldn't be too hard).

So just to clarify, this case (I think its the one you are talking about) fits EVERYTHING perfectly, and comes with blue rings for all 3 fans in the box? Or do i need to get the fans myself?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139042&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

P.s I will not get the led lights because of what you said about it ruining the metal look.

That is the case but it does not come with the exact fans I'm talking about. I mean these http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/air-series-af140-quiet-edition-high-airflow-140mm-fan

Radiator should go at the TOP if you can fit it with all of your components in their (shouldn't be too hard).

That is the case but it does not come with the exact fans I'm talking about. I mean these http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/air-series-af140-quiet-edition-high-airflow-140mm-fan

Ok so that will be the two front fans, what about the exaughst fan in the back? Does this come in a 120mm model?

I know i have bad spelling xD

Ok so that will be the two front fans, what about the exaughst fan in the back? Does this come in a 120mm model?

I know i have bad spelling xD

Yeah, it comes with 120s. The case also does but they won't be the Air Quiets.

Ok well here is prob my final build. So just making sure is everything ok/fine? And will all the parts keep cool (even when overclocked) since I got the Air quiet fans instead of the Performance ones? I will also change my mouse later, I am deciding on which mouse to buy right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XdVKMp

Also I am planning to get the Asus RG27AQ ROG SWIFT 4k monitor when it comes out. Is a 5-6ms response time bad?

Oh and are you able to put the window on the opposite side? 

And is there any brand of anti-virus or any other protectave software that you recommend.  I want my computer to be safe and protected :)