My First Pc Build

Techwiz707
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,

So if I just left the RAM alone and overclocked the CPU, the RAM will run at a slightly lower speed? (not a very noticeable one right?) 

Also I remeber you said it before, but what software do you use to overclock the CPU and GPU, and how much does it cost to download (or do u even download it)?

After you buy the hardware, overclocking is free =).

And is there any brand of anti-virus or any other protectave software that you recommend.  I want my computer to be safe and protected :)

Your brain.  Can work perfectly to protect you, and you already own it.  I am not kidding.

I touched the build up a bit.  You should also get two 120mm fans for the radiator.  The H100i is by far the loudest thing in your case at 37 dbA.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($96.99 @ Best Buy)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 39.9 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($15.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Other: Razer Mamba Rechargable Wireless PC Gaming Mouse ($98.82)
Other: Corsair Gaming K70 RGB LED Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Red switches ($207.99)
Other: Corsair Gaming MM200 Standard Edition Cloth Gaming Mouse Mat  ($16.99)
Other: EVGA Pro SLI Bridge 2-Way Graphics Cards ($25.90)
Total: $2627.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 01:47 EST-0500

I touched the build up a bit.  You should also get two 120mm fans for the radiator.  The H100i is by far the loudest thing in your case at 37 dbA.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($108.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($133.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($100.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($96.99 @ Best Buy)

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 39.9 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($15.99 @ NCIX US)

Other: Razer Mamba Rechargable Wireless PC Gaming Mouse ($98.82)

Other: Corsair Gaming K70 RGB LED Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Red switches ($207.99)

Other: Corsair Gaming MM200 Standard Edition Cloth Gaming Mouse Mat  ($16.99)

Other: EVGA Pro SLI Bridge 2-Way Graphics Cards ($25.90)

Total: $2627.50

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 01:47 EST-0500

Im too lazy to check, what did you change? And I got to blue ray writer so i can watch hd movies :) Also, how do i give my radiator 2 more fans if it already has 2 fans on it?

Im too lazy to check, what did you change? And I got to blue ray writer so i can watch hd movies :) Also, how do i give my radiator 2 more fans if it already has 2 fans on it?

You should know your build inside and out. :)

You had two 16 GB sets of Corsair RAM.  I swapped them out for a 16GB 2133 MHz set with a blue heat shield for roughly the same cost.  Performance is not game changing, but there is a performance improvement.  Same money, faster RAM. 

I took out your Blueray writer cause, nobody writes on Blueray.  If you want a Blueray reader, cheapest is about $40.

Just for future reference, you can tag people like so (@Techwiz707) or quote them like

this to get people's attention. You're lucky I followed this thread because otherwise you wouldn't have gotten quite a lot of advice ;)

So for the motherboard, well, they aren't my thing but I'll mention the people that helped you above so they can see you need help @Godlygamer23 @brob

For RGB keyboards you're just plain out of luck. The only decent offerings are the Logitech G910 Orion Spark (and I hate it's keyswitches with a passion and it's keycaps are also awful, but hey, it works and is made alright) and the Corsair K65/K70/K95 which are either recalled or out of stock. I suggest waiting or maybe buying a keyboard that matches the other colors in your build :)

Well if you added a Sound Card is just a waste of money unless it you do audio edit production or video or animation editing or production. But I though if you can remove it but you might be doing video and Audio so I kept with it or a surround sound system and you choose Intel well if you gone with AMD you will get better because its 8 cores and if you like anti stuff it be useful and I went with the same water cooler and you can overclock it and also did you know the highest OC was done with AMD but dont overclock it higher than 5.5 GHZ really no use and just a waste of power and cross fire these R9 290x 8GB you will get 12 GB and your welcome to overclock it I went with a huge drive for storing stuff i put 3TB HDD 7200 RPM because flash memory is not cheap in huge huge amounts and game with good stuff these day is like around 50GB each and great to dump all the programs to and I included a ADATA pro SSD 256GB this drive is a great performer and I own one my self but then I friend took it .... I don't know but why I don't stop him then after that he start to hate me and not where not friends but 256GB is a great space to store things that can't be installed in other drive and C drive is a must like Chrome once that you have 16 GB of RAM for welcome to overclock it it will run most games or you can also play Minecraft with 12 GB of RAM :P EVGA PSU are great no problems unless if you keep upgrading.... That need more power....  And I gone with IC Diamond Linus like but come on need to make you PC have some bling have extra use it on your GPU bling your GPU add some diamonds or put it on the side when needed you see I went with the red theme really I forgot the GPU are red or not but the PSU little yellow meh it will be covered and you can also show off your SSD really want to take it to the next level ask lutr0customs to make you some custom sleeved cables this build will be great in 4K and there is also some money saved that you can get a better keyboard or mice I will just go with a cheap china gaming mouse and with lots of buttons but why to get super expensive gaming mouse when you can get a cheap one and also go get a corsair gaming keyboard I like brown switches but go a head you saved lots you can do what the crap you can extra like get a better water cooler if you use AMD save but but wait I am not a fan boy I like both of the company's I have both AMD and Intel computers hope this helps on making your ultimate 4k Beast I am calling it the Redin 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jqjVHx

If you want to  build it I will love to see the end remember CABLE management PLASE  enjoy this red beast

Oops typed in this area this is not what he said

Edited by wpan2002

And is there any brand of anti-virus or any other protectave software that you recommend.  I want my computer to be safe and protected :)

Avast free or nothing seem to work best from my own experience. :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Ok well here is prob my final build. So just making sure is everything ok/fine? And will all the parts keep cool (even when overclocked) since I got the Air quiet fans instead of the Performance ones? I will also change my mouse later, I am deciding on which mouse to buy right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XdVKMp

Also I am planning to get the Asus RG27AQ ROG SWIFT 4k monitor when it comes out. Is a 5-6ms response time bad?

That's a pretty good monitor. Maybe a cheaper set of 3 60Hz monitors is more your thing?

Either way, I'm not monitor expert but that looks like a good monitor. And no, a 5-6ms refresh rate is not bad.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Also, how do i give my radiator 2 more fans if it already has 2 fans on it?

You should know your build inside and out. :)

You had two 16 GB sets of Corsair RAM.  I swapped them out for a 16GB 2133 MHz set with a blue heat shield for roughly the same cost.  Performance is not game changing, but there is a performance improvement.  Same money, faster RAM. 

I took out your Blueray writer cause, nobody writes on Blueray.  If you want a Blueray reader, cheapest is about $40.

Also, how do i give my radiator 2 more fans if it already has 2 fans on it?

That's a pretty good monitor. Maybe a cheaper set of 3 60Hz monitors is more your thing?

Either way, I'm not monitor expert but that looks like a good monitor. And no, a 5-6ms refresh rate is not bad.

Also, how do i give my radiator 2 more fans if it already has 2 fans on it? Some guy said I should put 2 more fans on my radiator.

Ok well here is prob my final build. So just making sure is everything ok/fine? And will all the parts keep cool (even when overclocked) since I got the Air quiet fans instead of the Performance ones? I will also change my mouse later, I am deciding on which mouse to buy right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XdVKMp

Also I am planning to get the Asus RG27AQ ROG SWIFT 4k monitor when it comes out. Is a 5-6ms response time bad?

Why the two different sets of Ram ?

The H100i and Windows 8.1 don't work that well together (Corsair link software has issues with win 8.1) 

Also, how do i give my radiator 2 more fans if it already has 2 fans on it? Some guy said I should put 2 more fans on my radiator.

Well you can put the two on the other side of the radiator for push-pull (bit more cooling) or you can unscrew the existing fans and replace them with new ones.

Well you can put the two on the other side of the radiator for push-pull (bit more cooling) or you can unscrew the existing fans and replace them with new ones.

I would just replace the stock fans.  Too loud.  The CM Sickleflow $5 fans perform similarly to the Corsair SP120 Performance fans.

Why the two different sets of Ram ?

The H100i and Windows 8.1 don't work that well together (Corsair link software has issues with win 8.1) 

That is an old link this is the updated one. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G6yCK8

Is it recommended that I do that, or would it be fine but leaving it the way it is. 

(I am planning to overclock)

Is it recommended that I do that, or would it be fine but leaving it the way it is. 

(I am planning to overclock)

With High Static Pressure fans, you don't need to push/pull.  You get great performance and save physical space in your case.  I normally recommend these at 120mm:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4l2r20acgp

but you like to spend so there are these: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-fan-co9050007ww

The Coolermaster Sickleflow fans are quieter and have blue LEDs.  The Corsair fans just look more robust/better.  Both perform around the same.  Sickleflow - 19dbA (+/- 3dbA)  Corsair - 35dbA (+/- 3dbA).

Also, I really like the style and size

Corsair Obsidian 750D, even though they both look similar :P. Will this case work fine with all my components on my list, and is it a good case to work with?

With High Static Pressure fans, you don't need to push/pull.  You get great performance and save physical space in your case.  I normally recommend these at 120mm:

The Coolermaster Sickleflow fans are quieter and have blue LEDs.  The Corsair fans just look more robust/better.  Both perform around the same.  Sickleflow - 19dbA (+/- 3dbA)  Corsair - 35dbA (+/- 3dbA).

The LED fans that you recommended, would those replace the stock fans that are included with the case? Also, (just to clarify) you don't think i should add fans to the radiator?

Corsair Obsidian 750D, even though they both look similar  :P. Will this case work fine with all my components on my list, and is it a good case to work with?

Corsair Obsidian 750D, even though they both look similar :P. Will this case work fine with all my components on my list, and is it a good case to work with?

The 450 is great for your build.  One thing I can recommend, but it costs more is the H105.  I has a thicker radiator than the H100i:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181060&cm_re=H105-_-35-181-060-_-Product

...or the H110 which has a bigger radiator than the H100i:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181035

...but, with the H110 the fans will cost more as it takes two 140mm fans instead of 120mm fans.

The LED fans that you recommended, would those replace the stock fans that are included with the case? Also, (just to clarify) you don't think i should add fans to the radiator?

Yes, they are to replace the stock Corsair fans.  I would recommend it if you like quieter fans.  The coolermasters are pretty quiet.

Yes, they are to replace the stock Corsair fans.  I would recommend it if you like quieter fans.  The coolermasters are pretty quiet.

Do you think i should get the led fans that you recommended or the corsair ones that I chose (not the stock ones). Also what do fan controllers do and why would you want them? (sorry im really new to this stuff) 

Do you think i should get the led fans that you recommended or the corsair ones that I chose (not the stock ones). Also what do fan controllers do and why would you want them? (sorry im really new to this stuff) 

At the end of the day, both sets do the job.  Because the Corasir fans are loud, I would only go that route if you can control them. 

This is an example of a fan hub, they are not expensive:  http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20988/ele-1196/Swiftech_8-Way_PWM_Cable_Splitter_-_SATA_Power_8W-PWM-SPL-ST.html

This is an example of a fan controller (i have used this for 2 years now):  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-fan-controller-bfarcnksrp