Favorite Cases

Paperchase

Cases have changed radically over time and are very sensitive to hardware trends as well as fashion trends of the moment.

Try to compare today's top selling cases with those of ten years ago. They look very different from one another. The current trend has been to offering a very open interior build. Less is more.  Ten years ago, we were deep in the era of the Antec Sonata and the Antec 900 line. Full towers were more common. And there was a trend towards gaudiness and bling, for lack of a better term. The more bling, the better it seemed.

Not today.  Today, the style is towards simplistic exterior designs with the bling, if any, on the inside of the case.

Why this is so is a function of hardware trends among enthusiasts.

• We have moved away from DVDs and Blu-Rays, to the point where most people are not even putting them in their systems anymore. SSDs are the rage.  
  • Part of this case redesign is due to the ubiquity of AIO coolers and the desire to support both 240 and 280 mm sized AIOs in both the front and top of the case. To do that-- something has to give. It's hard drive cages.
  • The multiple hard drives which used to be commonplace have been de-emphasized. Whether this is due to the increasing ubiquity of the NAS, the effects of SSDs or simply larger and cheaper 6GB/sec magnetic HDs is hard to say.  Whatever the case, most of the mainstream cases aren't offering a whole lot of hard drive cage space.
  • PSU shrouds are the new trend. I'll be amazed if there are more than a handful of cases at the end of 2016 that are big sellers in the enthusiast market without PSU shrouds.  

I am a fan of the Define R5 and the NZXT H440 which I think are holding the limelight currently.  Five years from now, they will probably look dated as hell too. And ten years from now, iffy, old-fashioned if not quaint.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I just wanted to start a thread about the coolest cases you have seen. Wether it makes sense to buy it or not, everything counts.

1 minute ago, DonDeWaay said:

Hi guys, I just wanted to start a thread about the coolest cases you have seen. Wether it makes sense to buy it or not, everything counts.

https://www.inwin-style.com/en/gaming-chassis/H-Tower

Quest Completed. 

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I think the Thermaltake Core P5 looks pretty awesome. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

damn i saw an awesome super expensive case the other day but i cant remember who made it xD il post if i find it again

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

36 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

I think the Thermaltake Core P5 looks pretty awesome. 

Looks like it would break I would hate to move it anywere

1 hour ago, Shanebenswim said:

Looks like it would break I would hate to move it anywere

Oh ya, I know. Even though the panel is acrylic, I could imagine shattering it just the same.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

What Case would you choose? A beutiful Sff box like the Lian Li PC03, or a watercooling custom bohemoth? David Or goliath, romeo or juliet, siamese twins, or hitler? ;) 

Enjoy.

- snip-

I like the Phanteks P400, NZXT S340 and H440!  I usually Air Cool, but I like White Cases.

Daily driver? ATX mid-tower on AIO cooling

Media center? custom air cooled/passive/silent ITX box

Lan machine? beefy custom air cooled mATX or ITX box (doesn't have to be silent or pretty, it just has to do its job well)

still looking into watercooling a server (going ghetto, don't ask)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Enthoo Evolv ATX is perfect.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Favourite case would be the Silverstone TJ08-e /w

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

12 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

Enthoo Evolv ATX is perfect.

*Tempered Glass ;)

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

*Tempered Glass ;)

Personally not a fan. You can see all the cables in the back. The Evolv has such easy cable management that you can literally shove the cables aside. With the tempered glass you actually have to do them well back there. Also, the tempered glass doesn't have the great mounting mechanism the normal one does.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Id go for the Inwin 605. Its an ATX mid tower with an infinity mirror front panel, tempered glass side panels. That with purple LEDs, and white pastel hardline cooling... Mmmmhhmmh.

Just now, EarthboundHero said:

Personally not a fan. You can see all the cables in the back. The Evolv has such easy cable management that you can literally shove the cables aside. With the tempered glass you actually have to do them well back there. Also, the tempered glass doesn't have the great mounting mechanism the normal one does.

If you do bother the cabels can look gorgeous though.

- snip-

I must admit Im surprised to see so many people choosing air over water.

- snip-

23 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Daily driver? ATX mid-tower on AIO cooling

Media center? custom air cooled/passive/silent ITX box

Lan machine? beefy custom air cooled mATX or ITX box (doesn't have to be silent or pretty, it just has to do its job well)

still looking into watercooling a server (going ghetto, don't ask)

watercooling a server... sounds like a very dumb idea lol

9 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

All fair points but I'd argue that if you put in the hard work, you're gonna end up with an absolutely beautiful PC. Personally, I'd be up for that but each to his own.

Been in love with the Tempered Glass edition since Dmitry showcased it on HardwareCanucks.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, mikat said:

watercooling a server... sounds like a very dumb idea lol

considering that my server got soaked in a recent-ish flood, it's become disposable and I want to do something stupid. Like watercooling it and trying to run Minecraft on it! OR CRYSIS!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, mikat said:

so you're an airconditioner?

eel-meme-funny-300x170.jpg

Actually a space heater. Racist.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler