Bringing your own mechanical keyboard to school

IMPERIUS

I own a mechanical keyboard which I love and I thought about bringing it to school for the it lessons.

There we use those standard hp keyboards, the ones with the gray plastic on top and black keys. I kinda like it since its surprisingly clean and I like its sound even though its a membrane kb.

But still, I want to use my own gear but that would be a bit show-offy since its backlit and all shiny and new, wouldn't it? It would also be a bit louder since it uses cherry mx blues. I'm only 15 and I imagine looking like a weirdo in my classmate's eyes, even the teacher would probablly look at me weird.

Would you still do it or nah?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Who cares if other people look at you weird? Although, that keyboard will probably be louder than the other keyboards and may annoy people.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I wouldn't. Not only is there damage or theft risk, but also the sheer "Dude, you brought in your OWN keyboard? And it's got such an ANNOYING SOUND! What a freak!"

But if you're able to put up with that, go do it with the honour of us behind you!

i5 4670k | MSI Z87-G43 | NH-U12S | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | GTX 770 SC ACX | Define R4

Why? What would you gain from it? What are you even doing that would warrant you bringing in your own keyboard?

I take mine to work.

Work is different to a 15 year old taking theirs to school.

Bringing your mechanical keyboard to calss will make you look like a douche...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Depends on what keyboard it is, i would not do it if it had blue switches tbh. And ask your teacher first if you are allowed to even use it. In my school for example it's not always allowed to use your own stuff...

Also, mechanical keyboard are quite heavy and bulky, just keep that in mind when you take it with you.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Work is different to a 15 year old taking theirs to school.

I have been taking my own keyboard to school for the last 3 years and now that I am done with school I continue taking it to work which is at the school I matriculated at...

\

Well I take my Das Keyboard to work with me. It's so large I have to take it wrapped in a towel inside another backpack. I get strange looks from the other developers but I just don't care. My opinion might be jaded due to a very unpleasant childhood but I wouldn't risk taking such a valuable item into a high school? situation; a. children single out difference i.e. you'll become a target instantly and b. it will likely get stolen/destroyed/damaged (the school will very likely have a policy that exempts them from being responsible - it's your property, you are responsible for it).

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bringing your mechanical keyboard to calss will make you look like a douche...

Not always actually :D In my class it's normal and no one cares about it. But that's probably we are all nerds and about 1 in 3 brings their mechanical keyboard.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

It's gonna make you look like a bragging douche and you will get picked on. (school scenario)
On the other hand it's good to use different keyboards, it will make you adapt to different ones faster and different keyboard sizes. I mean on college I use 2 types of keyboards (different sizes), at my apartment a larger one (gaming), at my house on my dad's PC a close to 10 year old classic white keyboard, on my laptop a 15.6" a small one, on my brothers 12" notebook a different one and I'm capable of blind typing on all of them easily, it's good. :)

I wouldn't. I would have to put it in my back pack and risk damaging it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

While people might find it weird at first if you let them type on it a little they likely will see why you prefer it.

You also need to consider the balance of issue how much you use it verses the annoyance of carring a mechanical around with you, I guess a tenkeyless or 60% wouldn't be as bad though

In my situation, hell no, bringing a $230 RGB backlit, mechanical keyboard with a wrist rest and dedicated media keys, looks would be made. 

The chance of theft, even though it'd be slim, is too much for me at least to bring any expensive item I own to school. 

Sure it's be awesome to here that rumbling bass of the star system in Science by bringing your audiophile headphones, but the amount of criticism would be unreal. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I bring my own keyboard and mouse to class... Then again, most of us prefer to use our personal machines (laptop or not) because they're faster than the school machines...

That is until we roll out the i5-4440 based rigs this month...

Edit: I might grab a second DragonWar Dark Sector keyboard for this purpose since I'm bringing only an A4Tech Natural A...

Not always actually :D In my class it's normal and no one cares about it. But that's probably we are all nerds and about 1 in 3 brings their mechanical keyboard.

My friends and I use to bring our Keyboard, Mouse and headphones w/ portable amps.

\

My friends and I use to bring our Keyboard, Mouse and headphones w/ portable amps.

We do the same! But we don't bring amps, we aren't audio freaks. But oh well it's nice :D

We do the same! But we don't bring amps, we aren't audio freaks. But oh well it's nice :D

Little FiiO E06 since the school MacBooks are a little weak on the audio side :P

\

I wouldn't unless it is either 60% or ten-keyless, and it didn't have blues and maybe o-rings because people would be pissed off about blues

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Little FiiO E06 since the school MacBooks are a little weak on the audio side :P

We just use the on-board audio of the motherboard, we have full dekstops with a cheap msi motherboard, 8gb ram and an i5 2500 i think :P But most of the time i just use my phone for music :D

We just use the on-board audio of the motherboard, we have full dekstops with a cheap msi motherboard, 8gb ram and an i5 2500 i think :P But most of the time i just use my phone for music :D

Better than our 2009 MacBooks xD

\

I wouldn't. Not only is there damage or theft risk, but also the sheer "Dude, you brought in your OWN keyboard? And it's got such an ANNOYING SOUND! What a freak!"

But if you're able to put up with that, go do it with the honour of us behind you!

You seem to care what others think about you too much.

I do it once in a while, no one cares.

I find that I type a lot faster on my mechanical keyboard than on a nasty mushy membrane keyboard (that's kind of the point of mechanical keyboards), especially those horrible Apple ones that have the scissor-switch chiclet keys... Urgh, I can't stand them. There's no click, there's no feedback, it feels like I'm typing on a calculator.

I have a Quickfire TK, it's exactly the width of my laptop. When I was in the US, I would just take it to school, perch it on my laptop's keyboard and use it there. I can't go on long trips without bringing it with me, because I won't use any other keyboard. Why on earth would I use someone elses when I can use mine? Okay, people give me looks, people single me out for being different. Do I care? Hell no, that's the story of my freaking life, is being criticised for being different. I'm gonna get my work done before anyone else and I'm going to particularly enjoy it, because typing on MX blues is a treat, and anyone who is bothered that much by my typing can ask me to go away and I will go and type somewhere else that same second.

I don't mind taking it wherever. It's a Quickfire, it's built like a tank, it's meant to be USED. It's also ANSI, whereas all of the keyboards here in Japan are a heavily modified version of ISO, which is even more of an incentive to use my own. I like my wide backspace key and my linear Enter key.

There's also the added benefit that if the school meth head comes in and tries to murder everyone, you've got yourself a nice weapon there. Mine has a steel backplate, but there are some out there made entirely of metal. Go team.