Suggestions for headphones/earbuds for listening to music at school and in public <$100

asperity

Looking for some good headphones/earbuds under $100 to be used for listening to music in public, at school and such, so preferably something that won't make me look like an idiot.

Rule ONE: DON'T BUY BEATS

As in look like an idiot, do you mean to bulky? or not in style?

Ya I had no intention of buying them, and by look like an idiot I mean I don't want to carry around something that wouldn't fit in my bag so ya just not too bulky and obnoxious 

I just got my HyperX Cloud headset, and for $79 on Amazon they are absolutely incredible. The packaging made me feel like I accidentally got a $500 pair of headphones, it has tons of included cords and adapters, and they sound really good, plus I couldn't get them to distort as hard as I tried. Not to mention it feels solid enough to last a while, and the mic is removable and even has a plug so you don't have a hole in them if you don't want the mic in.

I'm no audiophile, but I have to agree with Linus that these are an incredible deal (they're usually $150, and I'd recommend them even at that price point).

I just got my HyperX Cloud headset, and for $79 on Amazon they are absolutely incredible. The packaging made me feel like I accidentally got a $500 pair of headphones, it has tons of included cords and adapters, and they sound really good, plus I couldn't get them to distort as hard as I tried. Not to mention it feels solid enough to last a while, and the mic is removable and even has a plug so you don't have a hole in them if you don't want the mic in.

I'm no audiophile, but I have to agree with Linus that these are an incredible deal (they're usually $150, and I'd recommend them even at that price point).

OP, if you're a gamer, then thats a huge plus.  

But in terms of sound quality, they're not the best. Comfort is on point though.

OP, if you're a gamer, then thats a huge plus.  

But in terms of sound quality, they're not the best. Comfort is on point though.

I like them, but I came from a crappy headset, too.

They do feel like clouds :D

Ya that's actually kinda funny, cuz I am a gamer and I have a pair, but I don't want to take them out to public because I love them and I don't trust myself with them and I feel kinda silly wearing them around tbh :/

Beyerdynamic DX120 iE with foam tips are good.

You see beats get a  lot of hate. They also get a lot of love. Most of the people hating on them have never even used them, it's a bit ridiculous. Anyway the point is for his use in high school espically you want something that looks good and a brand that people know (similar to why people where polo clothing, there is no real advantage or performance, its just a shirt but you are paying for the brand). Honestly having used beats i can say they arn't bad. They certainly arn't audiophile grade, but you wont find much that is for under $100. Aslo there is one specific advantage that beats have other than looks and that is the bass. Bass happens to be the most noticible to the average person and in most cases the most liked. So honestly you can hate on them if you want, i expect nothing less from a group of tech people, but do keep in mind that they arn't terrible and they ovasely have a place in the market. I think these videos may show you that people actually dont mind how they sound:

1.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNlM4W-hvRM 

One thing to not on this video is that unbox theropy at about 3:00 even says that they arn't bad.

Now having said all of this, i want you to know that by no means am i fan boy and i definetly dont want to come across as one. i know there are better cans out there for the price, honestly my $80 kingston hyper x headphones sound bettter in all ways other than lows/bass. But at the same time i would never wear the kingstons to school, where as the beats look un-arguably good. 

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

You see beats get a  lot of hate. They also get a lot of love. Most of the people hating on them have never even used them, it's a bit ridiculous. Anyway the point is for his use in high school espically you want something that looks good and a brand that people know (similar to why people where polo clothing, there is no real advantage or performance, its just a shirt but you are paying for the brand). Honestly having used beats i can say they arn't bad. They certainly arn't audiophile grade, but you wont find much that is for under $100. Aslo there is one specific advantage that beats have other than looks and that is the bass. Bass happens to be the most noticible to the average person and in most cases the most liked. So honestly you can hate on them if you want, i expect nothing less from a group of tech people, but do keep in mind that they arn't terrible and they ovasely have a place in the market. I think these videos may show you that people actually dont mind how they sound:

1.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNlM4W-hvRM 

One thing to not on this video is that unbox theropy at about 3:00 even says that they arn't bad.

Now having said all of this, i want you to know that by no means am i fan boy and i definetly dont want to come across as one. i know there are better cans out there for the price, honestly my $80 kingston hyper x headphones sound bettter in all ways other than lows/bass. But at the same time i would never wear the kingstons to school, where as the beats look un-arguably good. 

I honestly love BASS! Dubstep hipHop, Rap, Electronic music. I am currently using JVC XX HAM55X, They are huge! 50mm Driver and a very deep bass port. use them at home or when I am in the car, as a passenger. My earbuds, yes they are very low in price, 20$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826262248 They have amazing bass! They are also stylish!

beats look un-arguably good. 

They're ugly. Not quite so unarguable, is it?

They're ugly. Not quite so unarguable, is it?

Alright i get the point your making. In MOST cases they look much better than most other headphones and would be prefered style wise by the average person. 

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

Rule one: buy headphones that you think is good and credible audio reviewers think it's good. I probably could use beats solo 2 for portable headphone w/o any problem.

"Beats products sound bad" days are over yo

Rule one: buy headphones that you think is good and credible audio reviewers think it's good. I probably could use beats solo 2 for portable headphone w/o any problem.

"Beats products sound bad" days are over yo

There are better headphones than beats, in both quality, durability, and style. Just depends if you are willing to waste money on over priced plastic wit okay sound quality.

Alright i get the point your making. In MOST cases they look much better than most other headphones and would be prefered style wise by the average person. 

Honestly, they looked all sleek and cool at first, but as the market started to bloat them (and many look alikes came out), they are starting to get really boring and stale (at least for me). The Beats Pro's still look hot though IMO.  

Not saying I'd buy them. Solo's aren't comfortable, don't look good (IMO), and will break easily (and of course their sound is downright disgusting). Same with Studios. Pro's are way out of my range and they too don't fit my ear well at all.

There are better headphones than beats, in both quality, durability, and style. Just depends if you are willing to waste money on over priced plastic wit okay sound quality.

Okay, Vmoda XS and sennheiser urbanite are waste of money too then in terms of sound quality. Because I've heard to Vmoda M80 (almost the same as vmoda XS) and solo 2, both are good

Okay, Vmoda XS and sennheiser urbanite are waste of money too then in terms of sound quality. Because I've heard to Vmoda M80 (almost the same as vmoda XS) and solo 2, both are good

I have not hand any experience with Sennheisers but I have with beats. I honestly do not really like the bass on Beats. When I have used them, I feel like I am going to break them, although I handle most of my electronics with care

maybe the sennheiser momentums?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Just to add in.. I think beats do look good :P 

I have to agree with SSL, the Audio Technica ATH M40x seem like a good choice, at least in terms of looks.         

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Just to add in.. I think beats do look good :P

I have to agree with SSL, the Audio Technica ATH M40x seem like a good choice, at least in terms of looks.         

I just said they were ugly to make a point. I don't really worry about what headphones look like in general.

I just said they were ugly to make a point. I don't really worry about what headphones look like in general.

Nor do I, but in the OP's case I think it's something that could be worth considering :) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?