Rate your ISP!

Rogers, NONONONONONONONONONO! I am in Canada, and, most people have Bell or Rogers here, which both suck, but there is one saviour: Teksavvy. Let's start with Rogers' prices, and Teksavvy's prices. Rogers: 30 Mbps, 70GB use per month cap, 61.99 with crappy modem/router box that breaks every month or two, and has no range. Teksavvy: 44.95 for 30 Mbps and 150 GB cap, + buy a good modem from them for $100 bucks, and get some router from somewhere as well. Still cheaper. Rogers also offers incompetent customer service, e.g. hanging up on customers asking difficult questions on the phone, telling people to call someone when the problem is that THEIR PHONE SERVICE ISN'T WORKING. They also cancel deals you had and were still eligible for. All of their machines like their Modem/Routers, Phone boxes (or whatever they're called), and  Cable TV boxes are really bad. I had TV box one for the second year , and it stopped working. I called up Rogers, and asked them why, so they told me that it was only supposed to last one year. How can you expect people to stay with your service for more than a year if your crap doesn't last a freaking year?! These things aren't cheap! Egh. Pfff... 62 bucks for a stupid 30 Mbps down and 5 up, if you are connected by ethernet, Wi-Fi connection is like half...

"You were just killed by the guy who just murdered you!" - Some guy in TF2 or something

"Hidden Luigis" - this guy that says "Hidden Luigis" in a way that makes me laugh a lot

I don't care I will put as many quotes as I want.

I have Windstream Communications as my internet provider.  I pay $49.99/month (not a penny installation) for what they call "G-Bond" Internet.  Although I don't even have a actual phone plugged in, this is DSL so it comes with unlimited calls NATIONWIDE!  Bravo Windstream, you are literally YEARS ahead of others.

G-Bond: they run your home 2 phone lines one is for your phone and internet, the other is for pure internet.  They give you the best internet service they offer on both lines and at the modem level (proprietary modem) they bond the two together to make a single internet connection.

Now onto the actual internet, the fastest speed they offer is 6Mbps down by 1Mbps up.  So you get 6/1 on each line, totaling 12/2.  Now here is the really amazing part that I think sets Windstream apart from everyone else, they SEND you 14.5/3.  The reason why they do this is so after a small signal degradation and slight overhead you will ACTUALLY GET what you pay for.  And in practice, I must say it works very well.  Often times I get above 12Mbps down and usually right at 2Mbps up.  So I pay for 12/2, and I get it.

Now onto the big reason most of us don't reach the speeds our ISP advertise, traffic shaping.  I can honestly say I have never noticed any traffic shaping.  Almost all youtube videos default to 1080p and play without any hiccup.  When I had Netflix (at which time I only had their 3/.75 service) all shows played at 720p without any hiccup.  In all my games I often get sub 100ms response time, in WoW (connecting to a Los Angles data center so about 3000 miles away) I get about a 80-120ms response time without much jitter.  The only program/service that I ever have any issues with is when I am downloading League of Legends it starts SUPER slow, like 40kbps slow, and stays that way for about the first 30 minutes then it finally wises up and gets on with it.  Not sure if that is ISP or LoL.

Overall I am happy with my 2 biggest complaints being a proprietary modem that I can not change out for the life of me (and its not too user friendly), and occasionally (once every 3 months or so) I will be without internet for about a day due to service issues.

Overall grade, B+

I still don't see why I cant get at least 50Mbps down, there is no reason for it.  Windstream claims to have a fiber "backbone" and in todays day and age it just makes no sense not to offer that to your customers.  But I do like the consistency and the non-cumcast shadiness they do.

attachicon.gifpingtest.PNGattachicon.gifspeedtest.PNG

Just so people know, pingtest.net is a way more important benchmark for gaming than speedtest.net is.  So post both.

---  EDIT  ---

I decided to go ahead and attach a picture of my modems interface to kinda show how the G-Bond works cause I know some people will be interested in it.  Notice how it has a Path 0 and a Path 1, each is their own phone line.  Under the second graph you will see "Attainable Rate" is at almost 15Mbps, while the upstream is sucking it up right now (probably cause there was a HUGE storm here just earlier today, but it usually is pretty good) at only a 1Mbps.

attachicon.gifrouter.PNG

---  EDIT 2 ---

I also feel like I should say THIS computer is wireless using a PCE-AC66 adapter from ASUS (a $100 PCIE adapter), and while the modem is a router/modem combo unit, I have the router part turned off, and it has a DEDICATED gigabit pass through to go to a separate router of which I chose the ASUS RT-66N.  So my home network is one that has some of the best residential equipment.

Seems promising, I'm planning to move to Wellsboro, PA temporarily(since there's a place there where I can stay while looking for opportunities) and look for a job somewhere in the US State. I'll add this to my list of my wanted ISPs. Thanks for the detailed post! I'd really like to be home-based and I'll need a good & fast internet for that, your 12/2 is way better than my 1.8/0.7 currently :mellow:

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

AT&T U-verse. 6Mbps/1Mbps : $45

I posted a rant about this once. 

Take a look:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/185779-rant-about-att/

Oh and I forgot to mention this.

I had to wait for THREE FUCKING WEEKS for my internet to be restored at my new place.

They shouldn't go fuck themselves.

These assholes should be chopped up and left alone to rot.

Randall L. Stephenson IF YOU'RE SEEING THIS, GO DECAPITATE YOURSELF/COMPANY/SHAREHOLDERS.

FUCK YOU.

lol ya AT&T U-Verse blows. Hard. I'm quoted at 12 mb/s down and 5 mb/s up but those terrible numbers are a load of crap. I get 8/2 most of the time. It sucks.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Cablevision very happy alway aprox 18/7 on a 15/5 plan don't need upload speed for now can't get my router VPN to work right so till then I'm good

I have charter and it is so amazing! we pay for 60mb/s, and that is what we get. it is also unlimited and it is only $30 per month. it is ranked as the fastest in the area by the google youtube data speed thing.

I have some local company called Advanced Cable. It's the best in the area considering my other options are comcast and AT&t. They don't have a download cap like comcast, but they don't give any minimum quality so on some days the internet is 0.1 down and 0.1 up, instead of the best that i've gotten with them, 20 down, and 10 up.

I am using Time Warner Cable here in NYC and I get 107Mbps Down and 10Mbps up with 10-15ms ping (used to be 20-25ms) and 0% packet loss 100% of the time which cost $60. I am currently paying $70 for ultimate 300Mbps/20Mbps when it arrives in my area within 1-3 months. I also use 600GB-800GB a month and experience no throttling. I know its alot of data but my family and I only watch content on the internet, we have no cable tv box. Plus i download games on steam. So I have to say I am happy with them. A few months ago it used to be 30mbps but they upgraded their infrastructure and gave me 100mbps.  Japan has 2Gbps.....sign

Kabeldeutschland ;) (Cable Germany) xD 100Mbit/s Down, 6Mbit/s Up. But in the last weeks I had some problems and the connection wasn't stable @ all. So I ordered a second connection via DSL 50Down/10Up (Tcom) and upgraded my Network with a dual WAN Router =) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1C-xJXh1hI

Used to be Saunalahti / Elisa, we got 20 Mb/s down and 1 Mb/s up for 30 - 40€ /month, like they promised. I was pretty satisfied with it.

Now... We may be changing ISPs, as we just moved, and we get internet connection on the next Friday (yay... A week with just 0,5 Mb/s down/up connection shared from my phone...)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

The ISP i use is a pile of poop ,but a month ago it got aquired by T-com so it may get better but idk.

Now the ISP i work for is like 10 times better but they dont have service where i live ,and idk if it will ever have xD

I have charter and it is so amazing! we pay for 60mb/s, and that is what we get. it is also unlimited and it is only $30 per month. it is ranked as the fastest in the area by the google youtube data speed thing.

Woah, what area is that?

Kabeldeutschland ;) (Cable Germany) xD 100Mbit/s Down, 6Mbit/s Up. But in the last weeks I had some problems and the connection wasn't stable @ all. So I ordered a second connection via DSL 50Down/10Up (Tcom) and upgraded my Network with a dual WAN Router =) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1C-xJXh1hI

That ISP name though xD Awesome setup up bruh :o How much are you paying for 2 connections? xD

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

Woah, what area is that?

That ISP name though xD Awesome setup up bruh :o How much are you paying for 2 connections? xD

I live in Suwanee, gwinnett, georgia, the united states. (in decreasing precision)

In Singapore you can get 1Gbps for 39.99 USD ;)

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

Psh fuck Shaw man, sure they have good TV service but their internet is just horrible

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

Got fios, quite expensive but good service and lots of content. My Internet is constantly 55+/55+.

Got fios, quite expensive but good service and lots of content. My Internet is constantly 55+/55+.

What area?

Woah, what area is that?

Cable 100.0 down / 6.0 up is 39,95€ / month

VDSL 50.0 down / 10.0 up is 29,95€ / month

--> 69,90€/month =)

Cable 100.0 down / 6.0 up is 39,95€ / month

VDSL 50.0 down / 10.0 up is 29,95€ / month

--> 69,90€/month =)

Damn expensive bruh, why did you choose those routers btw, is there any particular reason?

well i just moved and hopefully UnityMedia will deliver sometime in the next week. Im supposed to get 100Mb/s down and lousy 2,5Mb/s up for 30€ per month.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Bell-Aliant

Speeds are pretty consistent, no caps, no throttling or copyright infringement notices.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

AWI Ntworks some of the best internet where I live 14 Down 1 Up for $60

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

3828959513.png
:\

It's what is paid for, but look at the damn upload...

We had Telus before and that was rather bad. Random drops, massive ping, inconsistent speeds, but at least the download:upload was almost even.

Ppht you guys are whiners. I get 500kb/s down and 5 kb/s up with Sasktel. Shoot me.

I am a beautiful person who is a good idea to have a good time to time and money to buy a new job and I need some help with the same time for the first time in the middle of the day.

I'm with Spark New Zealand and I get 60Mb down and 10Mb up with VDSL2. I'm currently paying NZD$99 for unlimited data.