Rate your ISP!

Comcast and AT&T, are they really that terrible? So many bad feedbacks about them even in google results @_@

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

Comcast, I'm pretty happy with them paying around 80 or 90 for 50 down and 10 up and they're delivering speeds as promised. And AT&T was 12 down and 1 up for like 60. and no datacaps yet but as soon as they get them in my area I'm gonna convince my parents to jump ship before I go over it.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Verizon Fios. They aren't good, but arent as bad as my previous ISP, Time Warner.

ATT U-Verse. $45 USD a month, 6 down, 1 up. I'm not going to complain since it's significantly faster than my previous 1 down and 0.768 up.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Comcast. They can go fuck themselves.

I live in michigan, and spend $70 a month for shitty 30Mb/s down, 6Mb/s up...

Lucky. In Australia I pay $80 for 8 down 1 up and this is THE BEST DEAL in Australia (TPG)

Part of the Q6600 club

I have Windstream Communications as my internet provider.  I pay $49.99/month (not a penny installation) for what they call "G-Bond" Internet.  Although I don't even have a actual phone plugged in, this is DSL so it comes with unlimited calls NATIONWIDE!  Bravo Windstream, you are literally YEARS ahead of others.

G-Bond: they run your home 2 phone lines one is for your phone and internet, the other is for pure internet.  They give you the best internet service they offer on both lines and at the modem level (proprietary modem) they bond the two together to make a single internet connection.

Now onto the actual internet, the fastest speed they offer is 6Mbps down by 1Mbps up.  So you get 6/1 on each line, totaling 12/2.  Now here is the really amazing part that I think sets Windstream apart from everyone else, they SEND you 14.5/3.  The reason why they do this is so after a small signal degradation and slight overhead you will ACTUALLY GET what you pay for.  And in practice, I must say it works very well.  Often times I get above 12Mbps down and usually right at 2Mbps up.  So I pay for 12/2, and I get it.

Now onto the big reason most of us don't reach the speeds our ISP advertise, traffic shaping.  I can honestly say I have never noticed any traffic shaping.  Almost all youtube videos default to 1080p and play without any hiccup.  When I had Netflix (at which time I only had their 3/.75 service) all shows played at 720p without any hiccup.  In all my games I often get sub 100ms response time, in WoW (connecting to a Los Angles data center so about 3000 miles away) I get about a 80-120ms response time without much jitter.  The only program/service that I ever have any issues with is when I am downloading League of Legends it starts SUPER slow, like 40kbps slow, and stays that way for about the first 30 minutes then it finally wises up and gets on with it.  Not sure if that is ISP or LoL.

Overall I am happy with my 2 biggest complaints being a proprietary modem that I can not change out for the life of me (and its not too user friendly), and occasionally (once every 3 months or so) I will be without internet for about a day due to service issues.

Overall grade, B+

I still don't see why I cant get at least 50Mbps down, there is no reason for it.  Windstream claims to have a fiber "backbone" and in todays day and age it just makes no sense not to offer that to your customers.  But I do like the consistency and the non-cumcast shadiness they do.

post-4855-0-01967900-1413089463.pngpost-4855-0-95610200-1413089464.png

Just so people know, pingtest.net is a way more important benchmark for gaming than speedtest.net is.  So post both.

---  EDIT  ---

I decided to go ahead and attach a picture of my modems interface to kinda show how the G-Bond works cause I know some people will be interested in it.  Notice how it has a Path 0 and a Path 1, each is their own phone line.  Under the second graph you will see "Attainable Rate" is at almost 15Mbps, while the upstream is sucking it up right now (probably cause there was a HUGE storm here just earlier today, but it usually is pretty good) at only a 1Mbps.

post-4855-0-51284700-1413089724_thumb.pn

---  EDIT 2 ---

I also feel like I should say THIS computer is wireless using a PCE-AC66 adapter from ASUS (a $100 PCIE adapter), and while the modem is a router/modem combo unit, I have the router part turned off, and it has a DEDICATED gigabit pass through to go to a separate router of which I chose the ASUS RT-66N.  So my home network is one that has some of the best residential equipment.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

TimeWarner. Pay for 25 down and 1 up. Usually end up getting 16 down and 0.5 up at best around 1AM or so (now), or just barely above 3 down and 0.3 up during the day.

comcast.......................

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Lucky. In Australia I pay $80 for 8 down 1 up and this is THE BEST DEAL in Australia (TPG)

Gimme gimme

Seriously we are with helstra (telstra, who own the entire network here) and we are lucky to get 1-2down and 500kbs up, we pay the same amount. Not only that it drops in and out because none of the network is maintained through here, and everythign was supposed to be fixed when the nbn came through (lol jk, that's been canceled).

I have Telstra and for Australia I have great internet at 4/1 but compared to the rest of the world my internet is shocking.

Time Warner, somewhat satisfied, our internet can drop a lot sometimes.

55Mbps down

5Mbps up

Also:

AT&T came to our door saying they had Fiber Optic available, and I was like, HOLY 1GPBS!  NOPE, they said 50Mbps down, and I was like: Thats some cheap ass fiber, not true fiber!

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

I just moved to down town Minneapolis and the only options are Comcast and Centurylink. I didn't want to support Comcast, so I got Centurylink. Truthfully, I'm really happy. I'm paying for 7 Mb/s and am actually getting closer to 8, my connection doesn't appear to be choked at all (I thought it was for a while, but that was all straightened out), their costumer service has been nothing but helpful. I'm actually impressed. They are starting to get fiber in parts of the city and they sent me an email saying that they would notify me when I will get it and my speed will automatically jump to 40 Mb/s with no extra charge and for $80 a month, I will be able to jump to 1 Gb/s. If I ever get that speed for that price, and they are able to maintain their costumer service and no connection choking, I think they may have a customer for life (Until I can get Google Fiber...)

Gimme gimme

Seriously we are with helstra (telstra, who own the entire network here) and we are lucky to get 1-2down and 500kbs up, we pay the same amount. Not only that it drops in and out because none of the network is maintained through here, and everythign was supposed to be fixed when the nbn came through (lol jk, that's been canceled).

Hmm, I think Heltra (I have heard they have bad customer support from friends as well) owns the line where I live, I was on Optus before and for 5 down 0.5 up, then I switched to TPG for a better speed. Our neighbours (I think Heltra) get similar speeds. Are you sure you are on ADSL2+ and not standard ADSL? I once had a friend with 0.66 down 0.2 up on ADSL (not 2+). Also it might be a regional thing. I go to a school where people come from all over the place and I hear of people's ADSL 2+ speeds ranging from 3-15 down. Do some googling, it might help.

Part of the Q6600 club

Sympatico which is Bell. At best is very average except for the price which is waaaay too expensive. The only great thing they have going for them is the spam filter is superior to the average ISP. Not worth that extreme premium.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Virgin media for me, currently with 30 down 2.5 up, but I should be getting an upgrade to 60 down and possibly a little more in the upload soon.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

TPG. I live south of Brisbane in Queensland Australia. I used to have Tesltra cable and would get approx 25 down 1 up. I changed to TPG ADSL2+ since it was significantly cheaper.

3763787309.png

My girlfriend who lives nearby has Telstra cable gets about 44 megabits down and 1 up.

iiNet- Fibre at 25/5. Can't complaint considering everyone else gets shafted by Telstra utterly flippant attitude towards the public and their own network. Nothing makes a corporation turn into utter shit like privatisation.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

EdgeCast

I did not choose them, since I live in a Student Dorm (I think that's what it is called)

The Connection is stable and pretty fast, but the Upload could be a bit better. The Ping is just awesome though.

3826315216.png

how about 20/1.5 for £10/ month over freaking adsl, which is only rated at 17/1.5 by my isp.

too bad you aren't in the uk.

im on holiday, so i don;t have the proof, but i wil add it later.

Mine want me to sign a 2 year contract for fibre which they don't even offer good speeds because they are lazy with the exchanges.

I can't sign a new contract because I'm moving in less then a year. Overall I give them 1.5/5. I would have given them a 3 but due to attenuation I could only support 1.5 stars

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Rogers (Ontario, Canada), we pay for 60/10, get 90/12, for $70 a month. Only issues is 320GB cap.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB