My Free Amount of RAM is Questionable....

Champion-Craig

So I'm rendering a 1080p 60fps video in Sony Vegas and Task manager is showing I'm using 8.30gb of ram and that 0 is free. But I have 16GB's... and Windows is displaying I have 16GBs.. but its still poping up 0 free..... help?

Screenshot:

post-40487-0-19648600-1420218931.jpg

Specs:  CPU- AMD FX 8320 @ 3.5Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 GPU -EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked  RAM- 16GB 1600MHz (4x4)  HD- Western Digital Blue Hard Drive 1TB  PSU - Corsair CX 750M Case: Corsair 300R OS-  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Edition 2013 

So I'm rendering a 1080p 60fps video in Sony Vegas and Task manager is showing I'm using 8.30gb of ram and that 0 is free. But I have 16GB's... and Windows is displaying I have 16GBs.. but its still poping up 0 free..... help?

Screenshot:

attachicon.gifbandicam 2015-01-02 12-14-17-998.jpg

Where does it say 0% memory left? In Vegas?

Because in that picture, I see 52% memory usage

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Where does it say 0% memory left? In Vegas?

Because in that picture, I see 52% memory usage

Under Physical Memory (MB)

In the screenshot it shows 108mbs left but that cant be right.. I still have 8000mbs remaining....

Specs:  CPU- AMD FX 8320 @ 3.5Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 GPU -EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked  RAM- 16GB 1600MHz (4x4)  HD- Western Digital Blue Hard Drive 1TB  PSU - Corsair CX 750M Case: Corsair 300R OS-  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Edition 2013 

Under Physical Memory (MB)

In the screenshot it shows 108mbs left but that cant be right.. I still have 8000mbs remaining....

See available and free. Just like @Fate said.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Seems normal to me

@Fate and @Minibois So your saying the amount of free ram Windows lets you use is half of what you have?

@Fate and @Minibois So your saying the amount of free ram Windows lets you use is half of what you have?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Just don't look at the "Free" part and you will be less confused.  You have 48% more ram still available (roughly)

Just don't look at the "Free" part and you will be less confused.  You have 48% more ram still available (roughly)

Alright. I'm honestly confused as fuck right now.

In Vegas, there is a setting where you can define how much RAM is used while rendering. Look for that

Windows preloads programs into the RAM without you noticing or losing available (not free) RAM.

This standby code can always get overwritten if a active programm needs more memory.

If you really want to know, how your memory is used, open your resource monitor.

The Task Manager is in my opinion one of the most inaccurate ways ever to look for your memory usage. (its good for a quick look tho)

For example here is my RAM usage in the recource Monitor:

p4olo8P.jpg

I got 16GB in total but only 362MB are free. But 11932MB are available (Verfügbar) for any programm to use at any time it needs it.

And thats not a bad thing, because i have about 11,5 GB preloaded programs and code. Operations who use this code will be faster than loading from the HardDrive.

The preloaded code is based on your most used programs and this behavior is called prefetching. You can disable it, but there is no point in doing so.

Only empty RAM is wasted RAM, it doesn't make your computer any faster only used RAM is good RAM because it actually helps you doing stuff.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-