Best Upgrade from Sennheiser HD 558?

Scionyde

So, this is all purely hypothetical right now. My cousin really likes my 558's, so I was considering giving him my pair for his birthday this summer. Also, it would be an excuse for me to possibly upgrade. ;)

The primary use would be for gaming with some listening to metal. So in addition to having a great soundstage, I'd prefer something as comfortable as my 558's, or better. Assuming I would be willing to spend anywhere up to $500, what's my best option for new headphones?

I should probably mention that I don't currently have a DAC/amp, but in the event I need one, I'd be willing to stretch the budget a bit.

HD700s (a little used ofc). They are the most comfy headphones i've tried (not bought, in a shop).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

You could try dt990s or a higher end AKG. K701 or maybe the k712. Hifiman he400 is another option if you want to try ortho but it's not as comfortable as the other headphones.

If you dont have large headsize, i imaginre k702 annie or k712 to sound good.

Fidelio x2 should also sound fantastic.

There's HE-400i used that you can grab for $350-400.

There are so many choices at this price, what kind of sound signature are you looking for OP :D

If you dont have large headsize, i imaginre k702 annie or k712 to sound good.

Fidelio x2 should also sound fantastic.

There's HE-400i used that you can grab for $350-400.

There are so many choices at this price, what kind of sound signature are you looking for OP :D

I think my head might be on the larger side - on a pair of Sennheiser Momentum's I tried out, I had to slide the earcups down as far as they could go, so they could fit. xD

I think I'm looking for something fairly neutral, kind of like how my current 558's are. I don't think I'm too fussy...although, I've had the chance to listen to some V-MODA M100's once, and while I thought they were okay, I wasn't a huge fan of their V-shaped sound signature.

I think my head might be on the larger side - on a pair of Sennheiser Momentum's I tried out, I had to slide the earcups down as far as they could go, so they could fit. xD

I think I'm looking for something fairly neutral, kind of like how my current 558's are. I don't think I'm too fussy...although, I've had the chance to listen to some V-MODA M100's once, and while I thought they were okay, I wasn't a huge fan of their V-shaped sound signature.

I think fidelio X2 should a good choice for you then, you don't even need an amp to drive the can. Tyll from innerfidelity considers X2 as neutral although from his reviews i think he has a slight preference towards warm sounding headphone, but nonetheless I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

If your motherboard's DAC and amp is pretty bad however, even a schiit fulla will be way more than enough to X2.

To make you feel better, it also looks great :P

If you don't favor M100 sound, I'm not sure you're going to like HE-400 or 400i, from the FR alone it seems like they are a somewhat darker sounding headphone (like sennheiser momentum).

I think fidelio X2 should a good choice for you then.

The fidelios have a smaller band than the AKGs. Probably not a good idea if his head is on the larger side.

DT990's, don't need to spend more for something different. 

I approve this idea.

The fidelios have a smaller band than the AKGs. Probably not a good idea if his head is on the larger side.

They're that small? Oh well i guess i could never try x2 #bigheadproblem

HD 650s or 700s, they're the most comfortable I've ever tried and sounds fantastic as well

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

HD 650s or 700s, they're the most comfortable I've ever tried and sounds fantastic as well

Finally, a guy who likes HD700. For some reason there are some people who found the HD700 crap. Not just indefference, but really against it. Personally I even prefer the 700 than the 800.

Finally, a guy who likes HD700. For some reason there are some people who found the HD700 crap. Not just indefference, but really against it. Personally I even prefer the 700 than the 800.

Too bad they're overpriced.

Maybe because the sound sig of HD700 is a but unsennheiser like? I know it's been called a good grado from sennheiser by people before.

Meh, people still buy them either way and they keep it

I did a little bit of googling on the HD 700's. A lot of audiophiles did seem disappointed by them, especially at their previous $1000 price tag. Now that they're closer to ~$620, are they still overpriced?

I was thinking about the HD 600's, because they're apparently equal in quality to the 650's, but more neutral. I haven't done all my research yet, but I was under the impression that people think there are headphones with better soundstages for gaming at this price? I'm assuming you've had no issues?

I watched a bit of Tek Syndicate's 'Build Your Own Gaming Headset ($200-$1000)' video, and I was a little surprised that they didn't mention any Sennheiser headphones.

I did a little bit of googling on the HD 700's. A lot of audiophiles did seem disappointed by them, especially at their previous $1000 price tag. Now that they're closer to ~$620, are they still overpriced?

I was thinking about the HD 600's, because they're apparently equal in quality to the 650's, but more neutral. I haven't done all my research yet, but I was under the impression that people think there are headphones with better soundstages for gaming at this price? I'm assuming you've had no issues?

I watched a bit of Tek Syndicate's 'Build Your Own Gaming Headset ($200-$1000)' video, and I was a little surprised that they didn't mention any Sennheiser headphones.

I think at around $650 it's pretty solid.

Logan is an anti-mainstream in general or at times can be super biased at something. At this kind of price range, I'll put my music listening priority way ahead than gaming experience.

He probably has some beef against them that he hasn't told the public yet. huehuehue.  I don't particularly enjoy Sennheiser myself, the shape of my head seems to conflict with the way they want my head to be shaped, so no surprise that someone else wouldn't particularly enjoy it either. Then again, the 3D-wing system fits on my head perfectly, so maybe my head is just weird?

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

He probably has some beef against them that he hasn't told the public yet. huehuehue. I don't particularly enjoy Sennheiser myself, the shape of my head seems to conflict with the way they want my head to be shaped, so no surprise that someone else wouldn't particularly enjoy it either. Then again, the 3D-wing system fits on my head perfectly, so maybe my head is just weird?

Do you happen to have a headshape of horizontal football :D?

Reminds me of this:

HeyArnold!.jpg

Do you happen to have a headshape of horizontal football :D?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Reminds me of this:

HeyArnold!.jpg

You're making me so sad right now, RIP disney channel, Cartoon Network and Nickelodion  :(

Reminds me of this:

HeyArnold!.jpg

Only bad thing about the Shure 1540...It's so curved that when you pull the band out to make it bigger, you're basically making it bigger horizontally. It's like they expect people to have football heads. 

Only bad thing about the Shure 1540...It's so curved that when you pull the band out to make it bigger, you're basically making it bigger horizontally. It's like they expect people to have football heads. 

Probably they're trying to get less clamping force on big heads?