UPS Sends Me $90,000 in iPod Nanos

Vanderburg

You could've given every person on LTT an iPod yo.

^

should've

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Sheogorath's voice: iPod Nano's for everyone!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Damn that's a lot of money...

I'd like to think I'd give them back, I likely would, but I could see myself keeping them and giving them away/selling them.

The company really does need to offer you at least $1,000, I'd consider 5K a nice amount personally, but hey what can you do.

It seems all will be handled properly but if not, please do seek publicity - it's really something special to do this.

Not forcing you to become greedy, but taking a fair share from something that was technically yours when giving it back really does seem fair to me.

You're awesome, I hope they give you a tad more than a mere 250 bucks when you could've fetched over 85K realistically.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Another update: So, the UPS Security Manager for Arkansas (I think that was her title) called and had some guy bring me by a W-9 to fill out for a reward. I don't know what the reward is, but if it's big enough to tax...that's cool. :)

On a side note, 3 of the 4 "big wigs" I've spoken with were all women. I thought that was interesting and it was neat to me.

Another update: So, the UPS Security Manager for Arkansas (I think that was her title) called and had some guy bring me by a W-9 to fill out for a reward. I don't know what the reward is, but if it's big enough to tax...that's cool. :)

On a side note, 3 of the 4 "big wigs" I've spoken with were all women. I thought that was interesting and it was neat to me.

Please make a video or take a ton of pictures, you want to cherish this moment for the rest of your life :)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Another update: Apple contacted UPS, so just now UPS corporate called and a very nice woman said that the $25 gift card was simply all that the person who gave it to me was authorized to do (I guess they have free reign to give those out), but she wanted to buy me an iPod (Don't know if it's a Nano or what, but it's not important) and $250 iTunes gift card from my local Best Buy.

Now that is just great customer service. I would always ship with them but I don't think I can because I live in Canada.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Yet another update: The Executive Relations guy from Apple just called back. Even though it wasn't their money at risk, because it was all insured, they are sending me an iPad Mini 2. As much as I don't really care about Apple, they are pretty nice and I'll use it.

Everyone who's saying he did the right thing, consider this: UPS and FedEx both make screw ups all the time. They are constantly turning in to worse companies because they cut corners and can do so because they have an effective monopoly (yes, I know it's not actually a monopoly). In this instance they have no financial incentive to learn from their mistake. If the situation was reveresed, they sure as hell wouldn't help you out. They barely deliver their packages correctly.

Donating some of them, keeping a couple, and doing a giveaway would have been a better idea. Both UPS and Apple pay for insurance for instances like this, and I wouldn't be suprised if they hadn't just collected on it before hearing from you.

Good OP, do the right thing.   IMO,Trying to sell those would be a pain in the ass.  I probably would have done the same, but MAY have just given them away on /r/PCMASTERRACE

Apple would of found a way to make your life hell with their lawyers if you decided to keep them. They wouldnt care about spending on a case as long as it made your life harder for keeping them. Or they would of disabled all the nanos serials and blacklisted them, making them useless.

You did the right thing, nice one :) 

“I'm telling you, people. Everyday we wake up is another blessing. Follow your dreams and don't let anyone stop you. Never say never.” ― Justin Bieber

Wow, that is crazy. Kudos to OP for being so honest and all, when he could of easily and legally just kept them/sold them. Showing restraint in the face of temptation. Well done.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

Kinda scary to think this can happen with such a "precious" load. I wonder if someone will lose their job over this.

And it's nice to see you being honest and return them. As you said yourself, nobody would know but you would, and that's what matters.

Chances are it would have been found out and if it happened to not be legal in his state for him to keep them he would be screwed.  

If UPS did not have a way to sort it and back track it after it was noticed the shipment went missing then in order to actually have a use for them he would have to sell them.  Say he sells 600 of them and keeps 6 for family presents.  Thats 600 people that one of them is going to try to register that iPod.  That shipment and those serials is going to get chucked to a "missing or stolen" bin by Apple and when someone tries to register one the flags hit, the investigation starts and he is tracked.  

• 2 weeks later...

hah, so, I got another $300 check in the mail from UPS today. I think this is what I signed the W-9 for (Which is dumb, but I don't mind). I believe that's the last thing I'll get from anyone, so final tally is $50 from Amazon, $25, $420, $300 from UPS and an iPad Mini 2 from Apple. All in all, pretty decent.

hah, so, I got another $300 check in the mail from UPS today. I think this is what I signed the W-9 for (Which is dumb, but I don't mind). I believe that's the last thing I'll get from anyone, so final tally is $50 from Amazon, $25, $420, $300 from UPS and an iPad Mini 2 from Apple. All in all, pretty decent.

Pretty sweet haul.

You are a good person. Someone might have lost his job... I mean... Someone fucked up... But in germany the delivery guy has to pay for stuff he fucked up... 

You probably saved someones ass. You could ask them to give you free premium shipping from now on :)