UPS Sends Me $90,000 in iPod Nanos

Vanderburg

Good on you for doing the right thing, even with all that temptation! Can someone explain the Texas state law that 2 posters on the first page said that he's legally allowed to keep them? That sounds morally wrong, and I'd be curious as to why in Texas, if true, it is legal for you to keep something that isn't yours on a UPS error. I know if it was something more personal than a huge order shipment from Apple, like say PC parts from Newegg, a lot of members on here would be yelling at OP if he wasn't as honest as he was. That could have been your PC build, and if in Texas, the person who received it instead can legally keep it? Sounds messed up. 

Anyways, thanks for sharing your story and pictures as proof, and more thanks again for being a good guy! 

I'm a former police officer, in Texas, not far from the OP actually. I would make an arrest in this case if I believed that he knew the item wasn't intended for him, which would be pretty obvious.  Doesn't mean you'll get a conviction but you would go to jail and go thru the system on it. So, yessir there's plenty of legal issue here, a felony too I believe.. Of course the OP is doing the right thing and a commendable person :)

I'm in NYC ( Far from bumblefuck texas), and a law student; not a police officer. You cannot make an arrest legally here for something like that

If anything, this would be a civil case, no cops involved. Just lawyers delivering subpoenas 

It's hard to even believe you are a former police officer, considering that you'd take somebody through the system for no reason (Anybody with a half-brained lawyer would instantly sue the damn state or country for false arrest)

1) There are no legal issues here

2) I doubt you where a police officer, please don't talk out of your ass. Even if you where one, please don't talk out of your ass.

It would be a felony if the label on the package was not to his address and not his name.

I even emailed my professor who was a federal agent that worked for customs. There is nothing illegal in this scenario. just a bunch of people with panties in a bunch.

This is the United States, if you're a moral person you're just going to get pooped on. I personally do not care who I defend, pay my billable and I'll represent you once I get my BAR; and I'll have a great time doing it.

It's easy to say what a great person he is for giving it back when you're not the ones who received the package; I bet if most of you where in his shoes you'd not even make a post and run around in joy. Yes you'll say "You're wrong, you don't know me"; but that doesn't matter -- you can't say anything until you get a 60k package that you're legally entitled to.

I'm from NYC, where if the cops don't behave; we sue the shit out of them. The people who don't sue don't matter, since they can't afford lawyers anyway. 

Man... UPS f'cked up.
I wouldn't have kept them either, or tried to resell them. Chances are, Apple would declare those "stolen" and more than likely have a way to track them the moment they are plugged in a computer/itunes. That seems to be the norm these days for electronics, since they each have a unique address.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm in NYC ( Far from bumblefuck texas), and a law student; not a police officer. You cannot make an arrest legally here for something like that

If anything, this would be a civil case, no cops involved. Just lawyers delivering subpoenas 

It's hard to even believe you are a former police officer, considering that you'd take somebody through the system for no reason (Anybody with a half-brained lawyer would instantly sue the damn state or country for false arrest)

1) There are no legal issues here

2) I doubt you where a police officer, please don't talk out of your ass. Even if you where one, please don't talk out of your ass.

It would be a felony if the label on the package was not to his address and not his name.

I even emailed my professor who was a federal agent that worked for customs. There is nothing illegal in this scenario. just a bunch of people with panties in a bunch.

This is the United States, if you're a moral person you're just going to get pooped on. I personally do not care who I defend, pay my billable and I'll represent you once I get my BAR; and I'll have a great time doing it.

It's easy to say what a great person he is for giving it back when you're not the ones who received the package; I bet if most of you where in his shoes you'd not even make a post and run around in joy. Yes you'll say "You're wrong, you don't know me"; but that doesn't matter -- you can't say anything until you get a 60k package that you're legally entitled to.

I'm from NYC, where if the cops don't behave; we sue the shit out of them. The people who don't sue don't matter, since they can't afford lawyers anyway. 

I'm happy for you that your in school. I've met a hundred law student pricks so im not impressed at all, but im glad for you. I never said a thing about going thru it for no reason, what I was saying was you might beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride :). In Texas you would go to jail for theft if you kept the ipods. Period. I wouldn't need to email anyone before I did it either :)

Man... UPS f'cked up.

I wouldn't have kept them either, or tried to resell them. Chances are, Apple would declare those "stolen" and more than likely have a way to track them the moment they are plugged in a computer/itunes. That seems to be the norm these days for electronics, since they each have a unique address.

That only works in the US and Canada, same with iCloud; I'd sell em to my dude that I sell all "blocked" iProducts and be good. 

In Texas you would go to jail for theft if you kept the ipods. Period

Aside from you being rude, you're wrong.

In the entirety of the untied states, if a package is delivered to you it is yours whether you want it or not. You have no responsibility for it. It's yours. You can't be forced to give it back, you can't be made to pay for it. It's this way to prevent people from being wrongly scammed.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I'm happy for you that your in school. I've met a hundred law student pricks so im not impressed at all, but im glad for you. I never said a thing about going thru it for no reason, what I was saying was you might beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride :). In Texas you would go to jail for theft if you kept the ipods. Period. I wouldn't need to email anyone before I did it either :)

I've been to bookings twice here, sued the shit out of the NYPD .Sued my landlord because she said I cant smoke in the building staircase; whipped out a 30 page 2002 NYC smoking act PDF, and told her that until she does what's stated int he document I can smoke here and even if she does, until my lease is over I still can smoke in the hallway [fuck the people who complain].

Even got free rent for a few months because of her "harassment".

I don't mind the ride considering I'll be getting a fat settlement check afterwards. (My parents pay monthly for an awesome lawfirm)

I'm 21, 4.0 GPA, columbia, go to school for free, get 5k/semester cash for keeping my GPA (TY tax payers), and sue the shit out of people for fun.

Trust me, if you were a cop in texas, I can see why you're not one now.

Also NYC > United States. What goes on in texas does not go on in NYC; we're Superior to every state and city.

Also doesn't matter what state you're in; the the mail thing is a federal statute, it's sent to him, so it's his; doesn't matter if they made a mistake.

I doubt you where even part of a police department, you probably wore a diarrhea green shirt in a sheriffs office in a small town in the middle of nowhere that nobody knows the name of.

In the entirety of the untied states, if a package is delivered to you it is yours whether you want it or not. You have no responsibility for it. It's yours. You can't be forced to give it back, you can't be made to pay for it. It's this way to prevent people from being wrongly scammed.

Unless the name on the package is not yours, then it's a federal crime -- but in this case it's not. Thank you for somebody with brains.

I challenge any of you to try that with 90k worth of electronics and let us know how it works out for you

I hate Apple and UPS. although technically this isn't Apple's fault.

If this were sent to me, i would have done the right thing and sent them to europe to be sold so they can't be blacklisted by apple.

UPS messed up and should pay for it. They suck anyway. The driver(s) in my area are a bunch of morns and keep delivering packages to different houses even as my house has clearly marked house numbers on the front.

When they do manage to show up at the right place they walk up half way through the driveway, as it's pretty long (3 car lengths) and then get tired/bored and throw the packages the rest of the way.

Took enough complaints to get them to stop delivering packages to my house altogether. I now have to go to the UPS central hub 12 miles away to pickup every package sent to me via UPS. All this because UPS screwed up in the first place.

USPS and Fedex, no problems at all. Always get my packages nicely delivered by USPS and Fedex. They are even nice enough to ring the doorbell when they arrive to let me know.

I think you guys misunderstand the point here, noone is talking about opening mail, or receiving it.  The concept was weather you can keep merchandise mistakenly sent to you if you know it belongs to someone else. I don't care what US law is or says, most Texans don't either :). The point is, in TX if you keep it, your a thief. 

Very nice.You are very lucky.Make people happy now.If you change of mind you can make a giveaway with some. Good day to all!!!

Wow $25 the least they could have done is have you free UPS shipping for a year or some thing so unfrateful.

you should go and give them as you walk around xD

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Im sure they wont miss a box of 6!!

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

Amazon put $50 on my account for my honesty when we thought it was theirs, but I have a feeling UPS and Apple won't say anything, but I'm okay with that. I feel good doing the right thing here. I could have kept them, no one would have ever known, but in the end, they weren't mine.

Good for you and good for Amazon for rewarding you with $50.

I guess there were some warehouse labelling errors, this might look like its meant to be sent to another warehouse to store for some Apple Retail Stores since there's like boxes of sealed iPod Nanos.

pOG

I guess there were some warehouse labelling errors, this might look like its meant to be sent to another warehouse to store for some Apple Retail Stores since there's like boxes of sealed iPod Nanos.

i agree, i doubt UPS would screw up the labels that bad. The scenario I named earlier is usually reported and QC will check shipping labels with contents if needed. This most likely would be a warehouse error.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

This is crazy. I remember last year a guy ended up with a very illegal full auto military rifle from amazon.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

This is crazy. I remember last year a guy ended up with a very illegal full auto military rifle from amazon.

I've seen those at UPS too, not from amazon though. People poorly package all sorts of goods and they flop around in transit leading to all sorts of stuff coming out of boxes. Stuff from weapons, sex toys, dead cats for science classes, to even large drums of bull semen spilling everywhere....

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

If I was legally allowed to keep them screw it! These company's make billions! Although if it was someone's personal thing I def wouldn't keep it no matter what the cost of it.

Steam:Drift and Drift_2 <p>(name is hunter) Lets play:)

Ranks right up there with the guy who got a military drone shipped to his door

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's.