EVGA Launching New And Improved GeForce GTX 970 SSC

Opcode

Source

Can be purchased @ Newegg.

04G-P4-2975-KR_MD_1.jpg

EVGA is now teasing out the promise of the capable GeForce GTX 970 GPU by releasing a newer, cheaper SSC ACX 2.0 model before the year is out.

This enhanced GeForce GTX 970 SSC, known as 04G-P4-3975-KR, features the same elevated core clocks and standard memory speed as its short-lived predecessor but is equipped with a newer, more efficient cooler. EVGA says the second-generation SSC, priced at $349.99, or $10 lower than the outgoing model and same as the standard Superclocked, uses an improved heatsink for better heat dispersal that, one would assume, should lead to lower temperatures and associated noise output.

In detail, EVGA is upgrading this GTX 970's cooling by using a full-coverage memory and MOSFET cooling plate (MMCP) rather than the partial plate found on the last-generation For The Win (FTW) card. Such a move is claimed to reduce memory temperature by 14 per cent and, probably more relevant to the overclocker, keep the hot-running VRM MOSFETs 48 per cent cooler than on the same card bereft of MMCP technology. The present Superclocked ACX 2.0 card, 04G-P4-2974-KR, also has no such MMCP plate, mind.

Further, EVGA says it is now using a trio of 8mm heatpipes that run horizontally across the heatsink instead of the usual U-shaped arrangement found on other models, including the original Superclocked. EVGA believes the straight-across-the-block design offers six per cent better heat dispersal and lower thermal resistance.

Harnessing this extra performance potential, the GTX 970 SSC upgrades the circuitry to six power phases while adding 6+8-pin power connectors in concert with an overclocking-friendly Power Target figure higher than on the majority of the competition. This appears to be a card begging to be overclocked to GeForce GTX 980 levels, then.

mmcp.png

shp.png

At this point what is the point of buying a GTX 980  :P

Isn't that like.. The third GTX 970 from EVGA and they have like 2 980's too..

Still, new stuff is cool if it is good :D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

And I am just sitting here with a EVGA 780 ACX SC

Because he had a hard drive.

Hopefully they get rid of that god awful blue sticker

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Why not just peel it off? You could replace it with something else.

Why not just peel it off? You could replace it with something else.

It shouldn't have been on there to begin with

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

It shouldn't have been on there to begin with

I think it looks good tho you can just peel it off if you don't like it. The only thing that's going to be able to see it is the bottom of your case anyways.

I think it looks good tho you can just peel it off if you don't like it. The only thing that's going to be able to see it is the bottom of your case anyways.

compared to the 7xx series it just looks cheap

compared to the 7xx series it just looks cheap

Because of a little blue sticker? Come on man, there's a billion things you could do to get rid of it.

A bigger issue is the location of the power connectors. Why put them more towards the middle like that? It looks so much better and cleaner with them right on the end.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Ah, so that's why the 04G-2974-KR was selling for $340 with free shipping instead of $350 + $6 shipping. Works for me, since I got it for $16 cheaper than normal and since the new one is selling at $360. Nice that if my 2974-KR is a lousy overclocker I can just step up to the 3975-KR.

I think the GPU will look a lot better without those ugly U shaped heat pipes.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

But they still haven't moved the dang power connectors to the edge of the card like they SHOULD BE

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Still no back plate? And the power connector is in a weird spot again, having these things in SLI isn't gonna look pretty.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Still no back plate? And the power connector is in a weird spot again, having these things in SLI isn't gonna look pretty.

If EVGA doesn't put a backplate on next year's cards (when I'm planning on upgrading) I think I may switch to ASUS or Gigabyte.

I know a backplate offers next to nothing but aesthetics, but practically everyone else is doing it but them. Yeah they sell them separately, but geebus the other cards are including it with the purchase.

If EVGA doesn't put a backplate on next year's cards (when I'm planning on upgrading) I think I may switch to ASUS or Gigabyte.

I know a backplate offers next to nothing but aesthetics, but practically everyone else is doing it but them. Yeah they sell them separately, but geebus the other cards are including it with the purchase.

I may have saved my gtx770 from damage because of the backplate, i once dropped a heat sink on it and it left quite an ugly scratch. Would not have been nice if it had hit the actual video card.

But yeah, if you're more careful than me, than a backplate is more for aesthetics. Some say it blocks the airflow of the card above it, but you still get the option to take the backplate off anyway. And covers is where the market seems to be going as windowed cases are becoming more popular, even motherboards get fancy covers nowadays.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Aye, my asus 290x came without stickers preapplied and looks a hell of a lot less tacky without any stickers, this should be the way to go. Plus to echo Jayz2cents: Put a fucking backplate on it this time

-------

Current Rig

-------

At the price points of the GTX 970s, a backplate should be a basic feature now. It actually is a deal breaker if I don't get a backplate in the box, for 350 dollars I damn well better get one. 

At the price points of the GTX 970s, a backplate should be a basic feature now. It actually is a deal breaker if I don't get a backplate in the box, for 350 dollars I damn well better get one. 

All the 980s apart from the ridiculously expensive Classified, have no backplate as well. Other vendors have them for the same price or less.

They want you to pay freaking 20€ for a backplate + shipping. Ridiculous.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

All the 980s apart from the ridiculously expensive Classified, have no backplate as well. Other vendors have them for the same price or less.

They want you to pay freaking 20€ for a backplate + shipping. Ridiculous.

Its the height of greed. Looks wise, I like the simplicity of the EVGA cards but for value, ASUS is kicking their ass. 

And here I am with a GTX 760 SC... speaking of which, why did I get a backplate with my GTX 760 while EVGA doesn't include one with their 970s and 980s? Makes no sense.

They should go away from SC for superclocked and instead with SDC for Superduperclocked.

Because of a little blue sticker? Come on man, there's a billion things you could do to get rid of it.

A bigger issue is the location of the power connectors. Why put them more towards the middle like that? It looks so much better and cleaner with them right on the end.

Frankly they should be on the left of the card for a linear, clean cable run, but that's just me...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Maybe the pipes will actually contact the GPU this time. GG EVGA

Also there is nothing in the third pipe, look the terminating end is cut off.

acvOFnY.jpg

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Maybe the pipes will actually contact the GPU this time. GG EVGA

Also there is nothing in the third pipe, look the terminating end is cut off.

I absolutely love how people are still complaining about this when it isn't an issue at all.

There is nothing wrong with the design, get over it.