Samsung's New LPDDR4 Mobile RAM Twice As Fast As Mainstream PC DDR3

TheIcedCanadian

The day when new threads aren't a link and measly words that mean nothing...I'll do your job for you.

If you're making people click a link to get even the most basic info to have some understanding (and thus a discussion) don't post at all. I can click on one liners on reddit too, I (and others) come here to have news along with some better discussion. Do your job to encourage that or don't post at all. 

samsung-lpddr4_w_600.jpg

Faster is relative, but for a phone this is exceptionally fast and I approve of their focus on the video and photo aspects of how this speedy memory could be used. Especially for 4K videos on higher quality sensors that are coming online in the mobile market. 

"By initiating production of the 20nm 8 Gb LPDDR4, which is even faster than the DRAM for PCs and servers and consumes much less energy, we are contributing to the timely launch of UHD, large-screen flagship mobile devices," said Joo Sun Choi, Executive Vice President of Memory Sales and Marketing at Samsung Electronics. "As this major advancement in mobile memory demonstrates, we will continue to closely collaborate with global mobile device manufacturers to optimize DRAM solutions, making them suitable for next-generation mobile OS environments."

The new mobile RAM will be more suited for 4k video recording and continuous shooting of 20MP or higher resolution images, thanks to its larger bandwidth. Samsung's LPDDR4 has an I/O data rate of 3,200 Mbps, which is twice as much as the DDR3 RAM that's used in desktop PCs.

The new LPDDR4 memory is also more energy efficient, using up to 40 percent less power than an LPDDR3 module with the same amount of RAM. Samsung's proprietary low-voltage swing-terminated logic (LVSTL) technology for its I/O signaling allows further energy savings for high-frequency operations.

DDR4 DIMMs were out for a while...

Plus this isn't news, it was expected... it's DDR4 standard.

Even in DDR chips there are many variations and techniques used to adhere to the JEDEC standard while optimizing certain functions. Hynix, Elpida, Micron, and Samsung all make very different DDR chips which end up used in the modules we call DIMMs.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Something doesn't add up.

Is he talking about the individual NAND chips? A desktop RAM module can do far more than 3200Mbps. Hell, even the A6X (in the iPad 4) had a bandwidth of over 15GB/s. The current iPad Air 2 has over 25GB/s bandwidth, and that's just with two 1600MHz LPDDR3 packets and a 128bit bus.

Also I hate the wording redundancy of "DIMM module" :P

I just bought some RAM memory in DIMM modules for my personal PC. Now I just need a solid sate SSD and it will be complete!

I believe he meant the Input data rate, meanwhile you're talking about bandwidth, then: (3200x64)/8=204800 Mbps/8=25600 MB/s just what you said

Also for "DIMM module": goddammit I hate it!

So, any tips on building my new personal PC. What's the best SSD drive on the market today? Or are HDD drives still worth it? Which RAM memory manufacturer is best? How many DIMM modules should I use on my motherboard? Which CPU unit or SOC chip do you recommend? Which power PSUs should I look at? Air cooling or water? Peltier or liquid LN2? Should I use HDMI or a DP port for connecting to the monitor?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why this random question :P?

Depends on what you're doing JIC

Look at all the repetition.

what is the latency

I can't find it on the product page, but I've seen one person claim 2133 at CL 10.

The day when smart phone are faster than pcs......

THis will be interesting ig it gets put into production as it will force faster RAM for us pc users.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-lpddr4-mobile-ram-2015,28260.html

But... DDR4 is here O.o

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

The phones won't be faster than desktop. Since a desktop had more space, they will have more room to make things faster for cheaper on desktop.

I have a feeling DDR4 by the time it's EOL will be pushing 5000 MHz on the top end. Which is pretty much the limit of silicon

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

The phones won't be faster than desktop. Since a desktop had more space, they will have more room to make things faster for cheaper on desktop.

I have a feeling DDR4 by the time it's EOL will be pushing 5000 MHz on the top end. Which is pretty much the limit of silicon

The limit of silicon is about 10GHz, but on a more important note, I doubt DDR4 will break 4000MHz until the very end. We barely see competitors above 2800 right now in the desktop arena.

Samsung is doing this purely for recognition and to get into the next MacBooks. The tech will take forever to come to desktop.

The limit of silicon is about 10GHz, but on a more important note, I doubt DDR4 will break 4000MHz until the very end. We barely see competitors above 2800 right now.

ummm this post is all about 3200 MHz LPDDR4... if we can do 3200 in a low power setting, then im sure we can easily do 3200 with more power. I even believe 4000 will be obtainable this year on the higher end, and by the time EOL is reached we will be pushing 5000...

how could we possibly hit 10GHz without exotic cooling methods though? Im talking mainstream and either air or water cooled.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

ummm this post is all about 3200 MHz LPDDR4... if we can do 3200 in a low power setting, then im sure we can easily do 3200 with more power. I even believe 4000 will be obtainable this year on the higher end, and by the time EOL is reached we will be pushing 5000...

how could we possibly hit 10GHz without exotic cooling methods though? Im talking mainstream and either air or water cooled.

You have to remember RAM is many orders of magnitude simpler than a CPU or GPU. The only big circuit in there is the capacitor array itself and the refresher. Keep shrinking the manufacturing process and it will require less electricity per capacitor, will require less per refresh, etc..

If you're making people click a link to get even the most basic info to have some understanding (and thus a discussion) don't post at all. I can click on one liners on reddit too, I (and others) come here to have news along with some better discussion. Do your job to 

You need this

@69lover

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The limit of silicon is about 10GHz, but on a more important note, I doubt DDR4 will break 4000MHz until the very end. We barely see competitors above 2800 right now in the desktop arena.

Samsung is doing this purely for recognition and to get into the next MacBooks. The tech will take forever to come to desktop.

umm, DDR3 in its first year was limited to what, 1600 maybe. 

look at it now, at its peak, its pushing 3200MHz. DDR4 has just launched and they did 3200 on LP. and you doubt that by the time we get DDR5 (or some new technology) we will be pushing 5000? id go as far as to say it will push 4800MHz by the end of 2015 and 6000MHz at the end

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

look at it now, at its peak, its pushing 3200MHz. DDR4 has just launched and they did 3200 on LP. and you doubt that by the time we get DDR5 (or some new technology) we will be pushing 5000? id go as far as to say it will push 4800MHz by the end of 2015 and 6000MHz at the end

We will soon hit a wall of MHz just like CPUs, also it doesn't matter for your average consumer  don't think we will get DDR5 anytime soon maybe soon we will be using HBM instead or something else.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

We will soon hit a wall of MHz just like CPUs, also it doesn't matter for your average consumer  don't think we will get DDR5 anytime soon maybe soon we will be using HBM instead or something else.

RAM is so simple its much easier to get the high frequencies silicon has to offer, compared to something like a cpu core.

thats why i said 

by the time we get DDR5 (or some new technology)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Suoer fast RAM in a phone, is it going to make any difference. I don't think you'll even notice it because modern phones are already fast.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I'd very much enjoy being wrong. Hynix is currently occupied with HBM production and breakthroughs though, and Elpida is a financial disaster. That leaves only Samsung and Micron as the heavyweights in chip production right now. I don't see the competition arising like we did in DDr3.

I'd very much enjoy being wrong. Hynix is currently occupied with HBM production and breakthroughs though, and Elpida is a financial disaster. That leaves only Samsung and Micron as the heavyweights in chip production right now. I don't see the competition arising like we did in DDr3.

but samsung and micron (and to some extent elpida and hynix) still have to provide a decent competitior to HBM as a lower priced alternative, because you arent going to see HBM gain any real traction otherwise. also, up to cannonlake atleast, there is no mention of intel ditching DDR4, so i can guarantee you development will continue.

plus we are talking samsung here. second most advanced fab, and a perfect vertical structure to develop and bring out new tech ;)

but samsung and micron (and to some extent elpida and hynix) still have to provide a decent competitior to HBM as a lower priced alternative, because you arent going to see HBM gain any real traction otherwise. also, up to cannonlake atleast, there is no mention of intel ditching DDR4, so i can guarantee you development will continue.

plus we are talking samsung here. second most advanced fab, and a perfect vertical structure to develop and bring out new tech ;)

Samsung is a giant. Don't get me wrong. It can do some amazing things, but if it doesn't see competition forcing it to invest beyond vanilla chips, it's not going to.

As per HBM, I think you're going to be very disappointed when you see the price tag on it up front. No one's touching it until they figure out a cheaper way to produce TSV connections cheaply.

Samsung is a giant. Don't get me wrong. It can do some amazing things, but if it doesn't see competition forcing it to invest beyond vanilla chips, it's not going to.

As per HBM, I think you're going to be very disappointed when you see the price tag on it up front. No one's touching it until they figure out a cheaper way to produce TSV connections cheaply.

exactly my point. thats why i think samsung and the rest will still invest in high performance DDR4 as HBM is just waay to expensive :)

exactly my point. thats why i think samsung and the rest will still invest in high performance DDR4 as HBM is just waay to expensive :)

They don't have to invest. Carrizo's not bringing HBM into the picture as has been confirmed, so AMD's only use of it will be in its highest end GPUs for a while. Since neither Intel nor AMD is interested right now, no one is.