Steam might be implementing shared games

dylandylandylan

Nothing has happened because not many will care to take the time to report you.

wait who would want to report me that doesn't make any sense

(OMG THAT GUY IS  SHARING AN ACCOUNT LETS TELL GABE :o )

this isnt 3rd grade lol

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

this isnt 3rd grade lol

Idk, I'm just saying it's possible...

this isnt 3rd grade lol

no its the internet, so this is first grade :)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Surely, Gabe wants to eliminate as many disadvantages that Steam has to the console as he possibly can.

This is a disadvantage that can possibly be eliminated.

I can see this happening. 

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I hope it happens. I read some article ages ago about rumours about Steam considering (or maybe just looking into) a second hand market place for steam games, I hope that also happens. Would be great, especially if developers get money from the re-sales

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

post-8737-0-81245500-1371660440.jpg

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

ill be highly disappointed

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

This would be awesome I'm deffinatly going to buy more steam games then

I think this will only work if

1) The lender can't play the game while it's being borrowed.

2) A game can only be borrowed for a limited time, maybe a week max.

That way, devs won't lose out, because only one person will be playing the game at a time, and people can't cheat the system to just play games and give them away afterward (unless they want to make the effort to re-lend the game every week).

I believe it would make the most sense to force the lender to commit to a certain time period.  If the lender can just take the game back at any time then people could just be trolls and boot their friends from the game randomly. :P

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

This was a misunderstanding, the Xbox One won't have any game sharing functionality. It will however let you give your games to people on your friends list.

The Xbox One's users are able to share their game with 10 family members. However Microsoft won't try to verify if they are friends or your family

144Hz goodness

I think this will only work if

1) The lender can't play the game while it's being borrowed.

2) A game can only be borrowed for a limited time, maybe a week max.

That way, devs won't lose out, because only one person will be playing the game at a time, and people can't cheat the system to just play games and give them away afterward (unless they want to make the effort to re-lend the game every week).

I believe it would make the most sense to force the lender to commit to a certain time period.  If the lender can just take the game back at any time then people could just be trolls and boot their friends from the game randomly. :P

i want to be able to completely give my games to friends :| so many humblebundle games i give 0 f**ks about

i want to be able to completely give my games to friends :| so many humblebundle games i give 0 f**ks about

You can't give the games to people, you only lend your library to one person at a time. If they're playing one of your games, and you suddenly start any game in your library, it gives them a message saying that they need to turn off the game, and the game quits right then.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Then don't activate it; just give your friend the key. ;)

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I would like it if you could share games with just one other person. its a pain having to use the same steam account as my brother...

Yeah I just read about this on HLTV.org and yeah if done right it can be an amazing feature that will enable those who cannot really buy games online, get to play.

I think it's great but I imagine that it could get abused a lot.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

This would work rather well. It would not allow games to be transferred or sold from one user to another, but simply allow temporary access to a "friends" game.

While some may not see the need and only look at ways to exploit this. I can see a huge flaw that might be fixed from this. I have multiple gaming rigs and one steam account with around 500 games. Yet steam only allows me to play ONE GAME AT A TIME. If I can easily set up each computer on it's own steam account and share various titles it would make life a lot easier than fumbling around trying to get offline mode to work across several machines.

I would still expect and want the games to be locked to one user, but the ability to share my library and have someone/another computer playing different games from a single library would be great.

I'm sure it will be limited to sharing only one or two games at a time but it looks like a step in the right direction.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I think it would be pretty fun if they could allow you to let someone borrow a game as long as you can take it back if you wanted to.

Imagine going on a forum like here and having people share their games so people could try games and if they wanted it they could buy it. Could be really cool if you had to give one to get one. When you want your game back both licenses go back to the original owners.

Just a guess though, that would require online connections at all times to work to verify you are still allowed to play the game otherwise how could it transfer the license back and forth?

I think it would be pretty fun if they could allow you to let someone borrow a game as long as you can take it back if you wanted to.

Imagine going on a forum like here and having people share their games so people could try games and if they wanted it they could buy it. Could be really cool if you had to give one to get one. When you want your game back both licenses go back to the original owners.

Just a guess though, that would require online connections at all times to work to verify you are still allowed to play the game otherwise how could it transfer the license back and forth?

I would think it would require an always online connection..

#!

I wonder how many of the developers on Steam would agree to this.

There is a huge variation in the DRM policies of Steam from game to game because each developer/publisher has their own ideas on what works best... It's not simply a question of what Valve wants. For instance some games don't let you play for too long in offline mode, others do, and some can even be started without using the Steam client which means they do not have any form of DRM.

Similarly I suspect many developers would not agree to game sharing..