What exactly does a DAC/AMP do?

rdeng2614

I was looking to buy a headphone amplifier, but I don't exactly know what it does.

My headphones already can go up to comfortable volume levels.

I thought amps would make headphones louder but I don't know what they actually do or if I actually need them.

I have a Beyerdynamic DT 990 32 Ohm plugged into a regular laptop.

Thanks.

DAC takes the  digital signal from your PC/device, converts it from a Digital to Analog signal, then the amp takes that signal and boosts it so it's louder.

Basically getting a separate one from your motherboard/device, just gives you a cleaner signal.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

DAC = Ditital to analogue converter = changes 0s and 1s to an audio signal (+ and - voltage)

AMP = Amplifier = makes the + and - audio signal stronger to power high-impedance headphones

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

DAC = Ditital to analogue converter = changes 0s and 1s to an audio signal (+ and - voltage)

AMP = Amplifier = makes the + and - audio signal stronger to power high-impedance headphones

High impedances aren't the issues with headphones that need more power, it's their sensitivity that matters, but you got the rest fine :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If I already can get enough loudness from my headphones, do I still need an amp?

So.....bookshelf/standing speakers, standardly rated at 4-8 ohms impedance would only need small amps that can output less/smaller power than headphones' amps, right? Because the smallest IEM's impedance I've ever seen is 16 ohms, and headphone's is 32 ohms, far bigger than the 4-8 ohms of the standardized speakers' impedance.

Whoa...then that means....

tumblr_inline_muk1t63ZeR1qd77y0.jpg

This little sucker can power these:

monitor-audio-150w-8-ohm-bronze-bx-floor

Because that pair of speaker is only rated at 8 ohms. 

So.....bookshelf/standing speakers, standardly rated at 4-8 ohms impedance would only need small amps that can output less/smaller power than headphones' amps, right? Because the smallest IEM's impedance I've ever seen is 16 ohms, and headphone's is 32 ohms, far bigger than the 4-8 ohms of the standardized speakers' impedance.

Whoa...then that means....

This little sucker can power these:

Because that pair of speaker is only rated at 8 ohms. 

Do you know what the scroll bar is for?

It's over there on the right ---->

and is used for scrolling down to see that someone has already corrected me on that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

and is used for scrolling down to see that someone has already corrected me on that.

It's over here ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

if you're not on 1440p it may not be there :(

It's over here ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

nope :( its actually over here -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

for me

Spoiler

nope :( its actually over here -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

for me

mines bigger

:D

mines bigger

:D

LOL

Spoiler

I just switched to 1440p! :D

Funny thing is, that issue of 'umph ohms of impedance, OMG so hard to drive, need gigantic amps' has been said so many times, and has been corrected so many times, even before Lays' correction. Sadly, doesn't seem to get through to people, because that mindset keeps lingering around.

So instead of correcting, I thought I'll try supporting that mindset once awhile, just for a change of pace. If that mindset is true, then....that little sucker of an amp, Fiio E6, could power 6' floorstanding speakers, because they're only 8 ohms.

Funny thing is, that issue of 'umph ohms of impedance, OMG so hard to drive, need gigantic amps' has been said so many times, and has been corrected so many times, even before Lays' correction. Sadly, doesn't seem to get through to people, because that mindset keeps lingering around.

So instead of correcting, I thought I'll try supporting that mindset once awhile, just for a change of pace. If that mindset is true, then....that little sucker of an amp, Fiio E6, could power 6' floorstanding speakers, because they're only 8 ohms.

I get it already, OK?

Spoiler

Funny thing is also that bigger speakers are easier to drive. The Fiio can get the floorstanders to a pretty high level, assuming it can handle the low impedance.

Funny thing is also that bigger speakers are easier to drive. The Fiio can get the floorstanders to a pretty high level, assuming it can handle the low impedance.

That's probably the main thing. Lower impedance = needs higher current supply, to get the same power. No way that battery powered little thingy got enough stable current to supply low impedance devices with sensitivity below 100dB/mW.

Tried it btw, wired the E6 from Ipad to a bookshelf 6 ohms Kenwood speaker. Sounds awful. About 50% regular volume, ears ~20cm from the speaker, with ipad + E6's max volume, distorting north and south. And that's only using 1 speaker/1 channel.

That's the point I was saying in the main post. If the purpose of an amp is solely 'to power high impedance devices', with no regards/disregarding the current, then a tiny bity headphone amp would make 6' 8 ohms speakers sing beautifully, because headphone amps don't have any problem powering 32 ohms and up devices.