[GT]AMD claims it will power another gaming device (New Nintendo)

TwistedDictator
Go to solution Solved by TwistedDictator,

Let me just say, fuck off ARM. Intel's x86 architecture is also becoming really fucking good at the low power stuff while being more powerful than arm.

Also that quote is really hard to read and I still don't quite know what the hell he means, something something ARM something AMD APU

APUs have a lower power consumption and can outperform an Intel chip using its intergated graphics. Console are a gaming platform that require graphic power. If they went for a intel chips they be prepared for shitter graphics unless you add a GPU which will then lead the console to cost higher.

AMD is the only one that can provide powerful GPU+CPU X86 all in a low power packaged in a SOC.

Another major gaming device? 

Yea, cause locking yourselves into both consoles CLEARLY already turned your business around, am I right? 

If it bring them business then what wrong with that?

[GT]AMD claims it will power another gaming device (XBONE Slim? PS5? tablet?)

How about a PC AMD...please no more consoles...SIGH

It is good for PC. If AMD can get money from this then they can spend more on R&D .... Why are people so ignorant when it comes to AMD? ....

This is obvious.

In a new trailer video, we see that the Nintendo game pad looks a bit.. different.

redesigned_wii_u_game_pad_rumour.jpg

wii_u_gamepad_black-580x358.jpg

It's smaller and has a larger screen.

Source: http://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/13/is-this-a-redesigned-wii-u-gamepad-in-latest-mario-kart-8-japanese-commercial/

It is Nintendo preparing to release a new gaming console, and giving away WiiU users free upgrade.

It will have 16GB of RAM GDDR-32 7GHz, AMD Radeon 290 embedded inside the APU, fanless, and have 512 GB high speed SSD, and unlike XBox where you have to order pizza via an app (pff primitive), it will prepare you the food for you automatically, and it is estimated to cost 199$

I mean, come on... it is so obvious.

BisonOfCourse.jpg

I didnt say they cant. I said AMD is the only one right now that has the power too. If intel can then why havent we seen a APU that can compete with AMD APUs? At this moment only Intel can provide high powered CPU but not APUs.

Check again. In compute power, Iris Pro kicks the snot out of Kaveri for all OpenCL benchmarks. AMD can win with HSA-compliant software where the CPU and GPU do load sharing and balancing, but it's by slim margins. As per gaming, Intel has only recently begun to focus on it. Once you get a strong tessellation engine, polymorph engine, and a few more EUs in there, even Carrizo won't stand up to Skylake's Iris Pro 7200.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This better not be another Droid console. It won't matter then if it's ARM, AMD, or Intel powering the damn thing if it's going to just be another fucking Droid console that assumes it can work in a marketplace that clearly isn't open to Droid on anything but Phones, Tablets, and the odd Shield-esque device or 2 or 3.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

4DS confirmed

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Intel can make a lower-energy APU with as much compute and graphics power or more as the PS4 chip. Broadwell is swiftly proving Intel can kick ARM's tail at its own game. Google Glass 2 is going to use a Broadwell/Skylake chip, and ARM's chips have become steadily more CISC and increased in wattage and TDP because of it.

The only companies in the world who can actually design on Intel's level are Samsung and IBM. Intel has pushed into new waters for itself the last few years, and it's all coming to a head.

Every time people bet against Intel when it comes to breaking into a market, Intel always does. IBM, Broadcomm, and HP said Intel would never take their server business. Look at how that ended. ARM said it was impossible for Intel to make a powerful dual-core with less than 10 watts of TDP and power usage. Look at how Core M is doing despite Lenovo making asses of themselves...

Saying Intel can't compete in graphics and APUs is foolhardy. If Intel so chooses to design a product for a purpose, it will succeed in time.

Key words in time, tho by that time other innovators would of already blew past that point. Just like Intel playing catch up to AMD right now. Intel is easily over a year behind AMD in the APU race. And like said by the time they catch up to what AMD currently offers, the next big thing will be available on the market. Intel really only flexes their muscles in desktop serial processing architectures. Other than that there are more competitive solutions on the market including for low power.

Check again. In compute power, Iris Pro kicks the snot out of Kaveri for all OpenCL benchmarks. AMD can win with HSA-compliant software where the CPU and GPU do load sharing and balancing, but it's by slim margins. As per gaming, Intel has only recently begun to focus on it. Once you get a strong tessellation engine, polymorph engine, and a few more EUs in there, even Carrizo won't stand up to Skylake's Iris Pro 7200.

Kaveri obliterates GT3e in both compute and gaming, it's going to be a long time before we even see GT4e. Carrizo alone will be packing GCN 1.2 architecture (higher tessellation, lower power consumption, and 40% better memory bandwidth). Intel's graphics architecture is not much competition for AMD. The only thing it will eventually be good at is compute. Which really doesn't drive consumer APU sales. Intel's moving towards providing a good workstation APU. Meanwhile AMD is pretty much dominating Intel in the gaming APU market while currently providing more compute performance.

It is good for PC. If AMD can get money from this then they can spend more on R&D .... Why are people so ignorant when it comes to AMD? ....

I was being sarcastic.....chilly in here...

Intel I7 4770k 4.2ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero,16 gb Corsair Ram(1600 mhz), GTX 780 Classified, 1000w EVGA Supernova Powersupply,Corsair h100i
250 GB Samsung 840 Evo Solid State Drive(OS Drive), 120 GB Corsair Solid State Drive, 1 Terabyte Western Digital Drive
(Blue)

If the games for whatever this is being used for is awesome, that's all that matters. Not everyone uses 1080p displays, let alone 4k to bother worrying about raw power.

the problem with this, is that I only saw Iris Pro is I7 4770R and an i5 is in my mind as well, but they are not reagarded as cheap processor at around and above £200

Whereas AMD has many cheaper APUs, that are still good and can play games nicely.

It is now a fashion basically to look down on AMD, like a bunch of idiots. Internet`s memory span is surprisingly low, except if they want to prove someone wrong

CAN YOU PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP REPEATING WORDS YOU HEARD ME SAY WHEN THEY DONT FUCKING APPLY...

A tasselation engine i just mentioned as an example of a hardware engine... its definitely not the most important... and a Polymorph engine is not an engine per se, its more of a back end for a SMM...

Now stop trying to sound smart when you know nothing on this...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Key words in time, tho by that time other innovators would of already blew past that point. Just like Intel playing catch up to AMD right now. Intel is easily over a year behind AMD in the APU race. And like said by the time they catch up to what AMD currently offers, the next big thing will be available on the market. Intel really only flexes their muscles in desktop serial processing architectures. Other than that there are more competitive solutions on the market including for low power.

Kaveri obliterates GT3e in both compute and gaming, it's going to be a long time before we even see GT4e. Carrizo alone will be packing GCN 1.2 architecture (higher tessellation, lower power consumption, and 40% better memory bandwidth). Intel's graphics architecture is not much competition for AMD. The only thing it will eventually be good at is compute. Which really doesn't drive consumer APU sales. Intel's moving towards providing a good workstation APU. Meanwhile AMD is pretty much dominating Intel in the gaming APU market while currently providing more compute performance.

I wish there was more people like you on here (there are a few) that know there stuff.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

I wish there was more people like you on here (there are a few) that know there stuff.

or just less people that just spread misinformation they constructed in their head after hearing some words that sound smart...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Meanwhile AMD is pretty much dominating Intel in the gaming APU market while currently providing more compute performance.

How big exactly is this "gaming APU" market?  And does that have to do with Intel "gaming APU" not being available for consumers to purchase individually?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

How big exactly is this "gaming APU" market?  And does that have to do with Intel "gaming APU" not being available for consumers to purchase individually?

The APU market it growing quick.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

APU's drive 73% of AMD's total revenue. Hence why they continue to spit them out instead of updating their FX branded line of microprocessors. Which is a smart move for AMD as people aren't going to buy new FX chips that offer 10% more IPC but lose most of them gains due to lower clock frequencies. A prime example is the A10-7850k being slower in CPU related tasks than the A10-6800k out of the box. Tho half of the APU die packs another critical architecture that AMD has been improving upon and makes new APU's much more appealing. People will often buy the A10-7850k due to it having a superior iGPU architecture and several more SPU's. Given for what their APU's are how they are priced makes them quite impressive. The A10-7850k can handle pretty much all 720p gaming with ease. Once and if AMD adds on-chip HBM with their future APU's it will be game over for Intel. The A10-7850k doesn't even justify it's own gaming performance because of being choked by memory bandwidth. By the time and once on-chip memory becomes and option AMD would of stepped up their game by packing newer GCN based compute units and more of them into their APU's. I wouldn't be surprised with Zen that we see quad core with 640 SPU's and at least 1 GB of HBM. Which for budget and Mini-ITX builders would be quite an appealing chip to buy. Especially given the performance that can be had if you stuck it under an AIO and overclocked both the CPU and iGPU. Let alone the performance they would offer in mobile form factors such as laptops. The desktop gaming APU market isn't quite nearly as big as it could be but that's because the APU is still in its infantry stages. As the innovation progresses we will see much stronger APU's. Much like the ones inside the PS4 and XBox One for that matter. AMD could launch a monster APU for a G34 similar socket. Tho the cost of it wouldn't exactly be appealing and I think it would initially send a scare into the consumer market. Start small and then get big which also gives the company time to milk revenue while having a next step plan. I personally run a A10-6800k with a HD 5870. The only reason I run a discrete is because I got it for free. Otherwise I would stick to the iGPU as I don't play anything ultra demanding. 

APU's drive 73% of AMD's total revenue. Hence why they continue to spit them out instead of updating their FX branded line of microprocessors. Which is a smart move for AMD as people aren't going to buy new FX chips that offer 10% more IPC but lose most of them gains due to lower clock frequencies. A prime example is the A10-7850k being slower in CPU related tasks than the A10-6800k out of the box. Tho half of the APU die packs another critical architecture that AMD has been improving upon and makes new APU's much more appealing. People will often buy the A10-7850k due to it having a superior iGPU architecture and several more SPU's. Given for what their APU's are how they are priced makes them quite impressive. The A10-7850k can handle pretty much all 720p gaming with ease. Once and if AMD adds on-chip HBM with their future APU's it will be game over for Intel. The A10-7850k doesn't even justify it's own gaming performance because of being choked by memory bandwidth. By the time and once on-chip memory becomes and option AMD would of stepped up their game by packing newer GCN based compute units and more of them into their APU's. I wouldn't be surprised with Zen that we see quad core with 640 SPU's and at least 1 GB of HBM. Which for budget and Mini-ITX builders would be quite an appealing chip to buy. Especially given the performance that can be had if you stuck it under an AIO and overclocked both the CPU and iGPU. The desktop gaming APU market isn't quite nearly as big as it could be but that's because the APU is still in its infantry stages. As the innovation progresses we will see much stronger APU's. Much like the ones inside the PS4 and XBox One for that matter. AMD could launch a monster APU for a G34 similar socket. Tho the cost of it wouldn't exactly be appealing and I think it would initially send a scare into the consumer market. Start small and then get big which also gives the company time to milk revenue while having a next step plan. I personally run a A10-6800k with a HD 5870. The only reason I run a discrete is because I got it for free. Otherwise I would stick to the iGPU as I don't play anything ultra demanding. 

That still does not answer my question: how big the market for gaming APU actually is.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

That still does not answer my question: how big the market for gaming APU actually is.

Something that would be hard to find statistics for, if you count consoles then yeah APU's have a huge footprint in the gaming market.

It could be for Nintendo's next consoles.

I think there was a rumor about them half a year ago.

And Nintendo said that they are always working on a next console.

ARM would be for handheld and x86 for console.

Interested to know what it is, hopefully it will give AMD a bit of a boost. 

the problem with this, is that I only saw Iris Pro is I7 4770R and an i5 is in my mind as well, but they are not reagarded as cheap processor at around and above £200

Whereas AMD has many cheaper APUs, that are still good and can play games nicely.

It is now a fashion basically to look down on AMD, like a bunch of idiots. Internet`s memory span is surprisingly low, except if they want to prove someone wrong

Intel's Iris Pro chips are so expensive due to the eDRAM LLC. You also have to remember how much cache Intel provides compared to AMD. Then you also have to remember you pay Intel a base premium for their best chips anyway. I realize Intel and budget don't go together, but the reality is Intel is on par with AMD's APUs minus HSA compliance. Broadwell is equivalent to Kaveri by bringing unified memory into the fold and being fully OpenCL 2.0 compliant. Where the desktop chips falls is anyone's guess right now.

I imagine Cannonlake will be equivalent to Carrizo since Skylake has been in development for a long time already and probably doesn't have an equal citizen scheduling paradigm.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

CAN YOU PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP REPEATING WORDS YOU HEARD ME SAY WHEN THEY DONT FUCKING APPLY...

A tasselation engine i just mentioned as an example of a hardware engine... its definitely not the most important... and a Polymorph engine is not an engine per se, its more of a back end for a SMM...

Now stop trying to sound smart when you know nothing on this...

I know a lot more than you give me credit for. Also, tessellation is the backbone of a rapid model deployment. Without it you don't have much of a triangle budget.

I know a lot more than you give me credit for. Also, tessellation is the backbone of a rapid model deployment. Without it you don't have much of a triangle budget.

Im out, you dont even counter my statement, you just state a random fact that anyone who ever used their brain can realise... just stop misinforming poeple with your stupidity...