would you drop windows if Linux had full game support?

jaggysnake57

Ok let me get this out of the way......KEEP IT MATURE AND LET THIS DESCEND INTO A PISSING CONTEST!

the question is simple, if linux had support of ALL pc games on all clients, so ubi( :angry: ) origins and steam, BUT everything else remained the same would you ditch windows and run lLinux exclusivly.  To clarify any other issues that may exist have not been changed only game support everything else is exactly the way it is right now.

sound off and give reasons too and remember keep it civil

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I have something against linux and dont actually know why. But i hate it. I have linux running in a virtual machine.

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

If linux had game support and adobe creative cloud, it would become my daily driver. But the adobe part is bullshit because more people use linux than chromeos and chrome os is getting support. 

If it had more than game and program support then hell yea.

If it had game AND creative cloud support, probably.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I'd switch instantly. Gmes are literally the only realon I still use windows.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've used several flavors of Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS, Mint) and sure, there are some nice features, but from my experience none of them are worth losing Windows for. I have a little experience with OSX as well, and would take Linux over that, but Windows would still remain my main OS even if Linux could support every game and program Windows does.

From my time with Linux, modern Windows just has way better compatibility and almost never crashes. Maybe I'm doing Linux wrong but it seems every time I try to do anything, something freezes, or crashes, or isn't the exact right version to run on my exact distro, etc etc. So for me Windows 7/8 > Linux > Windows Vista/XP > OSX

Although thank god for Linux, computer technology wouldn't have come this far nearly as fast without it, praise Linus Torvalds!

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Maybe because its free etc

though I am honestly not a massive fan of Linux either, I think I would have to learn an awful lot

Also it might not support all of my other software and peripherals so not JUST game support would be required 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think I would stick to windows, personally I think the UI is easier to use. I just feel as if I can achieve more with windows, although I know that I can do things with Linux that are unimaginable for windows ATM.

I just don't like typing commands over pressing buttons...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Used it, prefer windows.

Same. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

At home i would change to Linux if my games and my editing softwares would work. At job I have a windows laptop and a Linus VM. I'm a developer.

Used linux for an old computer and i like it. However windows is the best OS  for me   because it's MUCH better for multy-monitor setup (again, for me) and i find windows easier to use. 
With that said, i have to say that i am getting windows for free, because i am a student, but in case i had to pay for windows, i would really consider using linux. 

I'm @ my first year of an IT study,so there would also be problems like not being able to run visual studio, which at this point in my study, is still required.

Also a windows license is actually free because of Microsoft approach of "let's give everything free to students, so they get used to it and wanna use it the rest of their lives"

I would love an computer that has the compatibility for software like windows, the compatibility for hardware like linux and the ease of use of a mac.

Because of the small user-base it has compared to windows, and the kinda steep learning curve for the average user to be using Linux, it will probably only be used by people who are really into IT.

But to answer your question: Yes, it's on my IT-things-to-do-list to improve my Linux-knowledge (only used it once when I had some old hardware I wanted to use) but that List is getting way too long atm <_<

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

I am at about 60% Linux now, and it's gonna be increasing soon.

I have 6 machines running Windows right now. (only 3 are physical, others are virtual)

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Ok let me get this out of the way......KEEP IT MATURE AND LET THIS DESCEND INTO A PISSING CONTEST!

the question is simple, if linux had support of ALL pc games on all clients, so ubi( :angry: ) origins and steam, BUT everything else remained the same would you ditch windows and run lLinux exclusivly.  To clarify any other issues that may exist have not been changed only game support everything else is exactly the way it is right now.

sound off and give reasons too and remember keep it civil

If  SteamOS supported Origin, ALL STEAM GAMES, ALL UBISOFT GAMES and ALL ORIGIN games and ALL OUTSIDE WORLD Games, then this would've been my primary OS.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Windows can suck a dick. If OS X were to be made available to all PCs, even without full game support, I would kick Windows to the curb and take OS X under my wing. But I would (sadly) keep Windows for all of my games.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yes, of course I would. Linux is superior to Windows in every single way.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

If all games ever that has been released was supported, if you would have support for many programs, and if it would be relatively easy to use and navigate, yes.

Tough one, but i probably would. Linux requires somebody that knows how the software works, and offers a great amount of freedom in return. Windows had always been a lot more simple.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

personally no i wouldnt change .....i want an os that just works and linux is a long way off from that

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I would like to but gaming is just one concern. Things like installing new programs and changing drivers are easier and less tedious on windows. I would like to switch but I still haven't seen anything I can definitely say is better than windows. On the gaming front it seems clear that the situation is improving very fast thanks to Valve.

If  SteamOS supported Origin, ALL STEAM GAMES, ALL UBISOFT GAMES and ALL ORIGIN games and ALL OUTSIDE WORLD Games, then this would've been my primary OS.

steamos is not meant for desktop PCs, it's main purpose is to be bundled with steam machines to give a pseudo-console experience. It's not meant to compete with Windows. That's the job of Ubuntu, Mint etc... And all the steamos games also run on these distros.

Well a few things here. The better question is if the game industry adopted OpenGL would we switch. If they adopted OpenGL then you could run that on Windows 7 (just like Mantle runs on Win 7), 8 or whatever and not have to pay the continual MS tax for games for minor improvements and first party software that sucks and we don't use anyways. If MS wanted us to adopt a new OS? They would have to actually make improvements we want, or make first party software worth a damn or really improve the kernel where it saw huge gains gaming. Seeing they want more bloat and more cloud integration crap? I don't see performance going up much past 8.1 in 10 on kernel.

If Steam OS has better game performance than Win 7 (which it most likely would since it would have no bloat and be like a damn Archlinux install) I would partition my HD and multiboot if a game needed the performance.

Also the question is kind of off because if you are using a tablet or a Chromebook, android phone and not a MS tablet etc? You are already using a customized linux, so damn near everyone already interacts with Linux on a daily basis.

The ONLY thing that makes Windows relevant is third party software. Those third parties could go to linux. If people switched to linux they would. If MS continues with their BS and wants to make Windows 10 a subscription fee and or keeps withholding API and continues to put out shorter releases and charge us more? That just might happen. There is no way in hell I am paying a subscription fee for an OS that doesn't make one decent first party program and lets Steam do all the work as far as improving gaming with things like Big Picture mode and in house streaming, and also screws me out of multiplat titles by paying devs to keep or delay a game off PC like Tomb Raider.

MS refused to allow even the Xbox controller to work in Metro on a PC which is downright pathetic. They gave us a retarded UI that could have been useful for ONE THING outside a touchscreen and then denied their users that.

I had to use this to get it to work for a family member. Once again THIRD PARTY doing things for MS like Classic Shell. Third party can do that on another OS. 

http://xbstart.info/download.htm

Also? If I did not PC Game? I would already be Linux/Hackintosh only. Gaming is literally the only reason I continue to buy these mediocre OS's from MS, and I will only purchase another OS from MS if I am absolutely forced to with a gun to my head to PC Game. If that happens? Nvidia can kiss my ass for not taking Mantle and they probably also would refuse to work on a new OpenGL if that would happen, so Nvidia would literally never get my money again.

Halo 5 is not going to make me buy Windows 10. Neither will the most likely inevitable Tomb Raider as a Windows 10 exclusive now that MS is publishing it. MS couldn't throw in ANY game to make me pay a sub fee. The entire game industry would have to ignore OpenGL for me to pay a sub fee on Windows 10 and all adopt DX 12.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

If it also supports all my peripherals and maybe some other software (or have good alternatives) then probably.