Cougar 500k keyboard: Gunning for the best membrane

brownninja97

I have a membrane razer deathstalker, it's a nice keyboard but I really wish I had a full blown mechanical with cherry mx blue switches.

and 16 million color rgb. Sadly the K70 is out of stock FUCKING EVERYWHERE >.<

Which switches are you looking at for the K70 RGB? Reds? Browns?

Newegg has both in stock right now:

Brown Switches:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3K12B56044&cm_re=corsair_rgb_keyboard-_-9SIA3K12B56044-_-Product

Red Switches:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816022&cm_re=corsair_rgb_keyboard-_-23-816-022-_-Product

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I like Cougar. But that's on account of their rev 3.0 of their GX 1050 Power Supply (which can actually deliver 1300W+ if you push it) but I'm not too sure about their peripherals. The mouse they released last year was essentially a cheap R.A.T. knockoff though I haven't tested it and how it's built, so it might beat a R.A.T. for all I know. That said, I welcome the orange backlight, just not the juvenile design of the keyboard.

Oh do you mean the 700M, my friend brought it, the rich son of a gun brought 10 mouses just to compare them. Anyways I tried them out as well, the 700M was ok, just ok, biggest gripe i had was that the side buttons were mushy, thats a major issue as its new, 6 months from now you will barely know you are pressing them.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Something people on this forum may not understand a lot of people like membrane not all people like mechanical keyboards, but I wouldn't imagine them paying this much for membrane keyboard.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Damn. Yesterday I checked and it said out of stock for both. Oh well, kinda worked out since I ended up getting an Asus 970 strix instead of the keyboard.

Winning? I think so. Maybe I'll get lucky and get one in a few months and by then they will have changed back to the good corsair logo.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Damn. Yesterday I checked and it said out of stock for both. Oh well, kinda worked out since I ended up getting an Asus 970 strix instead of the keyboard.

Winning? I think so. Maybe I'll get lucky and get one in a few months and by then they will have changed back to the good corsair logo.

I thought they had two options, one with the new logo and one without

I thought they had two options, one with the new logo and one without

Whaaaaa? That would be awesome. Unless it's just the plain red with the old logo. I want RGB so I can has purple and orange keys.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

While I personally love and prefer mechanical keyboards, I respect that some simply prefer the feel of membrane. I know a few of my friends tried my G710+ and absolutely hated it.

The arrogance and elitism of tech enthusiasts is hilarious (and troublesome) at times. It's like the possibility of someone liking SOMETHING DIFFERENT from them is impossible.

I heavily respect those like yourself, who understand that just because we prefer it a certain way, doesn't mean everyone else has to as well.

finally. Someone that gets it. Thank you.

Yea but it's still membrane so no shits are given.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Honestly, I would take this shit over any other mechanical shit any day. I hate mechanical.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'll just stick with my Gamdias Hermes because I like mechanical(MX blue) and I don't much care about RGB (entire pc is black and red and red light has the upside of not effecting your night vision so makes the most practical sense) and I have the Zeus mouse anyway so it stops me having to have extra software running.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Can never go back to a membrane keyboard, after using the G105, I liked it, but after moving to a Blue Cherry MX keyboard, it was too good to give up, feels so satisfying typing

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

If I read your news posts in Zero Punctuations voice, they're hilarious.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I wish these 'gaming' peripherals were more understated, that Honda Civic with neon look they have is really out of place if you're an adult. Not hating on the switches, only the styling. :P

Well...price might also be subject. Personally, membranes costing over 20 dollars feels like a rip off. Same as a TN monitor selling for over 200.

I wish these 'gaming' peripherals were more understated, that Honda Civic with neon look they have is really out of place if you're an adult. Not hating on the switches, only the styling. :P

Well...price might also be subject. Personally, membranes costing over 20 dollars feels like a rip off. Same as a TN monitor selling for over 200.

I don't think so. There are some membrane keyboards that are actually comparable against a mechanical keyboard.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Fact of the matter is that membrane keyboards are just cheaper, Until someone can make a decent mechanical switch that is cost effective, I will stay with a membrane keyboard, because if I spill coffee on it, I can just run and buy a new one. I've used a mechanical keyboard, it's really not worth the extra money, especially if you're looking for gamery features like backlighting and macro keys. For $50 at Walmart you can grab a Logitech G105, two levels of backlight brightness, and 6 three function macro keys. You can't even get a basic mechanical keyboard for that. My CM Storm Devastator kit is great, it was $27.99 with shipping from newegg. Took me a few days to get used to the mouse though, but I like it better than my old Logitech one, (it was the non-gaming styled version of another.) No macro keys on the keyboard, and lighting is either on or off, but you get the point, it's cheap, and it works well.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

Still rocking the ms sidewinder x4.......

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

you either get a $20-40 membrane keyboard or you get a $120 mechanical if you want something nice.

there should be no in between. We dont need luxury/high performing membrane, its still membrane; its cheap junk that does nothing but get the job done.

All you are doing is justifying that there SHOULD be an in between, solely by virtue of the cost disparity between the two. This is just Cougar feeling that empty market niche, proving once again the benefits of having the free market work well.

While I personally love and prefer mechanical keyboards, I respect that some simply prefer the feel of membrane. I know a few of my friends tried my G710+ and absolutely hated it.

The arrogance and elitism of tech enthusiasts is hilarious (and troublesome) at times. It's like the possibility of someone liking SOMETHING DIFFERENT from them is impossible.

I heavily respect those like yourself, who understand that just because we prefer it a certain way, doesn't mean everyone else has to as well.

I too agree that a lot of tech enthusiasts act like dictatorial puritans at times. Thankfully, personal opinion and loaded statements don't sell or hinder the sale of good products.

Because mechanical keys are unnecessary for 99% of gamers and typers out there. 

Pretty much. Just because people swear by mechs doesn't mean that they are requirements.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

It says mechanical on the box what are you talking about?????????????

Exactly, dafuq is everyone saying it's membrane? Their other K series (700K and 600K) are also mech (Cherry). F*ck it, their 200K low end model uses Scissor switches, so why the heck they'd want to make a membrane KB in the middle of their range, only *insert very obscure name here* knows....

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

Also confussed as to why it says mechanical on the box...

Bad photoshop??

Exactly, dafuq is everyone saying it's membrane? Their other K series (700K and 600K) are also mech (Cherry). F*ck it, their 200K low end model uses Scissor switches, so why the heck they'd want to make a membrane KB in the middle of their range, only *insert very obscure name here* knows....

A good question. I'd hazard that most of us are calling it a membrane because that's what the news article reports. The box art might not even be real (mockup), OR the news outlets all made a huge mistake.

WELP Looks like the box art was a mock-up.

From Toms Hardware article:

UPDATE: This article was updated at 9:22 EST, December 12 2014 to add pricing information and to remove the box art, which incorrectly said "Mechanical Gaming Keyboard".

@brownninja97 can you update the original post and remove the box art picture?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@brownninja97 can you update the original post and remove the box art picture?

sure no problem, do you know if there is an updated picture

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

sure no problem, do you know if there is an updated picture

As far as I'm aware, there isn't an updated picture yet. If you check the toms article you linked, you'll see the update at the bottom. They themselves simply removed the box picture and left the actual keyboard picture.

My guess is that was a pre-release mockup at a point where the 500k might have been intended to be mechanical before moving to membrane (supposition only of course).

you either get a $20-40 membrane keyboard or you get a $120 mechanical if you want something nice.

there should be no in between. We dont need luxury/high performing membrane, its still membrane; its cheap junk that does nothing but get the job done.

you dont need, for me its ok.

The elitism is in this thread makes chuckle. It's kinda more painful than reading the "Experiences with non-techies" thread.

Personally I liked my G105 and never had a problem with it. Moved to a blue mech and had it RMA-ed two times in a month.

Oh why did I give away my G105...

On the other hand: I kinda think it looks neat so all power to the people buying it :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300