NSA and XBone Kinect. (Not News)

Keen_Interest

So basically, does ANYONE really believe that the XBone Kinnect in your living room will ACTUALLY be benign after what has been revealed about the NSA tapping phones? 

Also, is anyone else outraged that Obama said *NOT A QUOTE* We do spy on people online, but its okay, because we don't do it to US citizens? I mean, I MUCH prefer him to some previous presidents *COUGHbushCOUGH* but REALLY?!

Just think about this: If they sell 1 million consoles with 1 million kinects (which is very low) there will be 24 million hours of video captured each day. Do you really think there is a system in the world that can handle that let alone parse through it in real time? The 360 actually had 70+ million sales. If the One has that type of sales that is over 1.6 billion hours of video each day. Even if they just do audio, 1.6 billion hours of audio would require the fastest super computers to go through it.

I will buy one and non stop talk about jihad, bombs, terrorism and assassination and I doubt anything will ever happen to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

Who cares, don't buy one.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Just think about this: If they sell 1 million consoles with 1 million kinects (which is very low) there will be 24 million hours of video captured each day. Do you really think there is a system in the world that can handle that let alone parse through it in real time? The 360 actually had 70+ million sales. If the One has that type of sales that is over 1.6 billion hours of video each day. Even if they just do audio, 1.6 billion hours of audio would require the fastest super computers to go through it.

I will buy one and non stop talk about jihad, bombs, terrorism and assassination and I doubt anything will ever happen to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

Compression programs... Key pick up words which trigger recording. They tap 3 trillion calls a year, I think they have the capability.. 

I care, and I won't.

Do you seriously think the NSA will be using the Kinect to record and track people? Are all Americans this paranoid?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Do you seriously think the NSA will be using the Kinect to record and track people? Are all Americans this paranoid?

Well done Sir, I'm from the UK. 

Having seen that they tap 3 trillion phone calls A YEAR, I wouldn't put it past them. 

Well done Sir, I'm from the UK.

Having seen that they tap 3 trillion phone calls A YEAR, I wouldn't put it past them.

Well you make yourself sound like it... You already have very little privacy if you use the internet at all any more, especially with Facebook, cookie tracking, etc. Like you say, key words and triggers play a large part in how they operate. Are you planning on blowing up any buildings or assassinating a person of power in the near future? Are you discussing it online? No? You have nothing to worry about. The NSA isn't tracking people to find pictures of them or find out who they had Sex with on the weekend. It's about border protection.

With an always online, 24hr mandatory checkin, all those settings you can turn off could all be placebo. Theres nothing stopping them from remotely turning the camera on on their end using the convenient system check backdoor.

Well you make yourself sound like it... You already have very little privacy if you use the internet at all any more, especially with Facebook, cookie tracking, etc. Like you say, key words and triggers play a large part in how they operate. Are you planning on blowing up any buildings or assassinating a person of power in the near future? Are you discussing it online? No? You have nothing to worry about. The NSA isn't tracking people to find pictures of them or find out who they had Sex with on the weekend. It's about border protection.

Oh okay, so you're alright with someone just going through everything private you have? You cool with that? Lack of liberty for security is a really dangerous balance, there's no point in security if its at too great a loss to liberty, and personally I think they're losing the balance in favor of security...

Oh okay, so you're alright with someone just going through everything private you have? You cool with that? Lack of liberty for security is a really dangerous balance, there's no point in security if its at too great a loss to liberty, and personally I think they're losing the balance in favor of security...

Did you read my post? I don't think you understand what the NSA is, what they are doing, what they are looking for, or how they operate. Besides, you choose what you put on the internet, and once it's there, you don't own it. Also, what are you going to do about it?

I agree with Lyons if you are not doing anything illegal, you should really have anything to worry about.

Also agree wit the OP though, I think if governments spent all that money on providing stability to problem countries then the issue would be more likely to become obsolete over time. At the same time though if you think it's just the NSA that are spying on you, you are in for a shock, I'm fairly certain that organizations in other countries such as MI5 in the UK will be using similar tactics.

The paranoia will end soon enough, the internet is doing more good than it is evil, people are constantly becoming more understanding of other individuals and cultures. The internet utilizes the skill that got us humans this far, communication, to its full potential, it can only lead to good things.

I agree with Lyons if you are not doing anything illegal, you should really have anything to worry about.

Oh gosh there is so much wrong with that statement I can't even start... All I can say is thank god I live in Switzerland.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Oh gosh there is so much wrong with that statement I can't even start... All I can say is thank god I live in Switzerland.

I assume you use Google? Its obviously an American company and the NSA can get court orders to obtain any data from them, just because you live in Switzerland doesn't mean you are safe.

Like I said though I'm not worried at all, they can hold whatever data they like on me. I doubt it's going to affect my life.

I assume you use Google? Its obviously an American company and the NSA can get court orders to obtain any data from them, just because you live in Switzerland doesn't mean you are safe.

Like I said though I'm not worried at all, they can hold whatever data they like on me. I doubt it's going to affect my life.

Sure the can get my info, however they can't actually do anything to me since the NSA (or any other foreign company) has no power in Switzerland. 

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

People should remember that political systems can change.

No worry today might turn to big worry tomorrow.

Sure the can get my info, however they can't actually do anything to me since the NSA (or any other foreign company) has no power in Switzerland. 

And they don't have any power in Ireland, so yeah, high-five!

Again every country has an intelligence agency, if the FIS find any data on you that suggests you might be involved with terrorism etc chances are you will be arrested or questioned.

At the end of the day it's all fairly pointless, its not exactly the best method of catching terrorists, the whole idea of "catching" terrorists is where governments are going wrong, it creates more distrust as this thread proves.

Prevention is the best solution.

Moved to consoles

And they don't have any power in Ireland, so yeah, high-five!

Again every country has an intelligence agency, if the FIS find any data on you that suggests you might be involved with terrorism etc chances are you will be arrested or questioned.

At the end of the day it's all fairly pointless, its not exactly the best method of catching terrorists, the whole idea of "catching" terrorists is where governments are going wrong, it creates more distrust as this thread proves.

Prevention is the best solution.

You're right, every country does have an intel agency. However I'm confident that the Swiss FIS agency isn't spying on the citizens. While I think it's a pretty well known fact at this point that in America that's precisely what's happening.

I agree with everything you're saying now, it seemed with that "if you're not doing anything illegal you shouldn't have anything to worry about" statement that you were fine with all of this. I don't think it's really a problem of what they will find, since all they would see from my traffic would be youtube videos and gaming, as with 99.99% of us. However it's the very principal behind their actions and the alienating of privacy laws and liberty which really pisses me off. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Anyway that's just my opinion, to each his own I guess!

Yeah I'm not fine with it at all, but it's something that I think will pass. I believe governments are under more pressure from their citizens than the other way around, If America pushes things like this too far it will result in a huge amount of civil disobedience, riots etc and they will be forced to reconsider their policies.

Moved to consoles

Isn't the thread kinda more politically based than console? Maybe the off topic section..?

Only the stupid ones here

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

The only thing that makes sense

1016140_491996867538775_949397967_n.jpg

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

password_reuse.png

Explains my view on the whole thing.

Google has tons of data about us. All of their services are automated according to that data. As far as we know, that's all they're doing with it, and that's all they probably want to do with it. There's just too much info to sift through, even with isolating keywords and logging it. It still needs to be verified even if it throws up a red flag, etc. Too much effort involved.

NSA taps trillions of calls, great. Are they recording it all? Probably not. If it is indeed keyword triggered, keywords can be used out of context and will need to be verified before any action is taken. The verification itself can take forever depending on how much recorded data is present, and I'd imagine only conversations that have multiple keywords that trigger a red flag would be recorded. The more red flags, the more serious the threat, potentially. Multiple trigger words could also be out of context.

The short version: They can monitor our every move. Whether or not it's practical to monitor every single individual is a different story entirely.

I'm not worried. I know people who are panic-stricken and threatening to go off grid because of it. Ironically, the very same people who claim to be "off the grid" regularly use Facebook. I'm not sure they even know what "off the grid" means.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2