Newly built pc boots into bios and turns off after a few seconds and gpu stopped working

Go to solution Solved by Leighton G,
10 hours ago, OddOod said:

That's gonna be, in ascending order of likelihood, a damaged CPU, a CPU cooler mounting pressure issue, or a bad ram channel on the mobo

We don't have an am4 cpu to test so the solution rn is to return the 8 GB x 2 and get a 16 GB x 1 instead. I know its not the best but it is what it is.

Hi, I'm helping my friend to build his pc but the pc boots up for a few second then turns off by itself. I was able to boot into bios but then it turns off after a few second. Also tried installing windows 11, it was able to make it to the first part of installation to 100% then the pc shurts off by itself. I was able to do this a few time but everytime it just crashes mid installation.

I've taken everything apart and put them all back together, made sure the power supply cables are all the way in. made sure everything is plugged in, power socket on, monitor is on hdmi, cpu, ram, gpu, ssd installed properly. And now the graphics card fan won't spin and there is not output. The cpu and case fans still spins, thats the only positive for now.

Parts

- ASRock A520 M-ITX/ac

- R5 5600x

- ASRock Radeon RX7600 8GB

- Team DDR4 3200Mhz PC4-25600 8GB x 2

- Crucial P3plus 1TB 

- Silver Stone SX750-G

- Cooler Master NR200P

16 minutes ago, Leighton G said:

Hi, I'm helping my friend to build his pc but the pc boots up for a few second then turns off by itself. I was able to boot into bios but then it turns off after a few second. Also tried installing windows 11, it was able to make it to the first part of installation to 100% then the pc shurts off by itself. I was able to do this a few time but everytime it just crashes mid installation.

I've taken everything apart and put them all back together, made sure the power supply cables are all the way in. made sure everything is plugged in, power socket on, monitor is on hdmi, cpu, ram, gpu, ssd installed properly. And now the graphics card fan won't spin and there is not output. The cpu and case fans still spins, thats the only positive for now.

Parts

- ASRock A520 M-ITX/ac

- R5 5600x

- ASRock Radeon RX7600 8GB

- Team DDR4 3200Mhz PC4-25600 8GB x 2

- Crucial P3plus 1TB 

- Silver Stone SX750-G

- Cooler Master NR200P

well, i dont know what it can be caused by but i can tell that gpu fans are not spinning because there are fan stop thingys with different manifactures which stop when there is no load

That's a power issue. Either dirty wall power (try plugging it in to a different circuit easiest way is to move to a different floor as some houses have a whole floor on one circuit) or a bad PSU (see if you can test with a different one)

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

6 hours ago, OddOod said:

That's a power issue. Either dirty wall power (try plugging it in to a different circuit easiest way is to move to a different floor as some houses have a whole floor on one circuit) or a bad PSU (see if you can test with a different one)

He lives in an apartment room so there are only a few plugs around, but it was plugged into an power socket extension. I will try to plug it directly into different wall outlets tmr.

12 hours ago, Leighton G said:

He lives in an apartment room so there are only a few plugs around, but it was plugged into an power socket extension. I will try to plug it directly into different wall outlets tmr.

Should have mentioned that dirty power is a long shot. Unless it's sharing power with an AC or a large fridge or he lives in a region with brown outs, it's likely just a DOA PSU. That specific PSU is Tiered as a Speculative B class so it wouldn't be deeply surprising, just bad luck. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 5/24/2024 at 2:24 PM, OddOod said:

Should have mentioned that dirty power is a long shot. Unless it's sharing power with an AC or a large fridge or he lives in a region with brown outs, it's likely just a DOA PSU. That specific PSU is Tiered as a Speculative B class so it wouldn't be deeply surprising, just bad luck. 

So turns out its something to do with the ram. The pc boots up after removing one of the 8GB ram sticks. We got windows installed, turned the pc off, put the other ram back in the motherboard so its back to 16GB (8GB x 2) and it worked fine. This morning, the pc turned off randomly after 30 mins of use. The pc only works when 1 ram stick is in. Both ram works in single channel. I have also updated the bios to the newest version, but dual channel still doesn't work.

That's gonna be, in ascending order of likelihood, a damaged CPU, a CPU cooler mounting pressure issue, or a bad ram channel on the mobo

10 hours ago, OddOod said:

We don't have an am4 cpu to test so the solution rn is to return the 8 GB x 2 and get a 16 GB x 1 instead. I know its not the best but it is what it is.