70-Year-Old Computer that runs on water

Decon

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/tech-time-warp-week-70-year-old-computer-runs-water/

But can it run Crisis 3?

:P

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

I don't know why this is tech news.

Its a piece of tech and its in the news so...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Relevant or not to this forum, I find it interesting.  It reminds me of Ponder Stibbon's computer "HEX".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I always theorized how to get something like this to work... Never in any detail, but now I know it's a real thing :o

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

...computer? I didn't know there were computers back then...

You... didn't pass intro to computer science did you? xD

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

...computer? I didn't know there were computers back then...

there were computers almost 100 years old back. But ppl didn't use them for gaming, you know

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

there were computers almost 100 years old back. But ppl didn't use them for gaming, you know

Just because i´m a Gamer doesn't mean i think that Computer = Gaming PC

I´m not that out of the loop.

I was thinking more of PC´s rather then Computers in general when i wrote that.

I always theorized how to get something like this to work... Never in any detail, but now I know it's a real thing :o

Computers are nothing but transistors arranged in specific circuitry. Transistors are basically on-off switches. You can achieve the same result using any type of switch, so it's not a surprise that hydraulics was used. 

Before transistors were used, computers used relays (another name for switch) and vacuum tubes. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

There's always the ancient cosmic engine designed by the Chinese in the Song Dynasty that could measure time and calculate the position of planets that ran on the gravitational potential energy of water.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/tech-time-warp-week-70-year-old-computer-runs-water/

But can it run Crisis 3?

:P

But can you piss off with that overused meme?

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Wasn't there also an mechanical computer that was used in WW2 or WW1 ? it was used to decyrpt messages and the inventor was British, if someone knows the thing I'm talking about give me it's name. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

But can you piss off with that overused meme?

Yo comedown relax bro relax.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Wasn't there also an mechanical computer that was used in WW2 or WW1 ? it was used to decyrpt messages and the inventor was British, if someone knows the thing I'm talking about give me it's name. 

they used it to decrypt enigma messages iirc :)

wwii0097.jpg

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

they used it to decrypt enigma messages iirc :)

The name?? also Jeremy Clarkson made a documentary about it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

no idea...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

no idea...

Thanks.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

You... didn't pass intro to computer science did you? xD

My school doesn't even have that class and I knew computers were around back then. But I guess my school make up for that by being one of the top performing arts schools in California

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Oh, they used this on TV in a programme about how rich someone is and how money works. I thought this came in the sixties, not seventy years ago.

I think it's called Colossus.