EA: Video games firm wants to stop being 'hated'

rob1985

The BBC has posted an interesting article about EA and their image within the gaming world.

With so much vitriol aimed at the company - just check out the memes thread - especially since its naming as "worst company" for another year, EA's president of labels, Frank Gibeau stated: "We're in the business of entertaining and exciting people, and when our business policies get in the way of that and we hear this reaction and see this feedback we have to take note of it. We're not tone deaf."

I wonder what the forum's repsonse to this would be? Especially after the Sims fiasco and the news a few weeks back, also mentioned by Linus and Slick on the live-stream, about major job losses in previously successful firms that EA has acquired and seemingly destroyed, as well as the churning out year-by-year of the 'cash-cow' titles.

Are they, as Mark Burnham, the editor of Game Front pointed out, just a "scapegoat for larger industry trends... [or are they] not caring what players think or want."

I'd love to hear what you guys think.  Is it just lip-service by EA, or will there be any changes?

Clicky here for the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22801311

If EA wants to make a profit they NEED to get people to like them, and to get people to like them they have to do something good like what CD Projekt RED is doing with DRM or how Ubisoft has made The Crew, maybe if EA doesn't ea battlefront 3 up, I will stop hatting them but until then I will dislike EA.

I never really understood the ridiculous amounts of hate EA is known for. Seriously guys, EA is a video game company. Get over it.

I never really understood the ridiculous amounts of hate EA is known for. Seriously guys, EA is a video game company. Get over it.

They paid $50 for something that they can't play.  Of course they're angry.

I'd hope EA would start innovating video games instead of DRM schemes.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Well they're already getting closer to me for simply green lighting Mirror's Edge 2, their last remaining interesting franchise IMO.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Then stop being douchebags that nickel and dime gamers as well as churning out titles just for profit year after year.  Go back to basics and get in touch with gamers.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

its all well and good them coming out with this guff that they listen to feedback but if they don't act on the feedback and improve the products its worthless, and i haven't seen ea improve a product in a long time.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Feedback and PR get's muffled out by their profit margins.

They wont change anything until there is substantial loss across all fronts in EA. Right now they only see green so why would they listen to anything from the community.

They are simply taking note, not acting upon, or even listening. Just acknowledging that some people don't like them and shrugging their shoulders as they don't care.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

if they want people to stop hating them, maybe they should do the right thing and think of the people playing the games rather than the board room members wanting there pay rise again.

Character artist in the Games industry.

its all well and good them coming out with this guff that they listen to feedback but if they don't act on the feedback and improve the products its worthless, and i haven't seen ea improve a product in a long time.

see EA is like the kid who got an A on a test and doesn't know when to stop riding it

mom:can you do the dishes son

kid:but mom I got an A on my test can't I get a break

mom:okay

3 months later

kid:can I have some more money for games

mom:but I just gave you some yesterday

kid:but mom I got an A on my test

mom:okay,but just this once

1 year later

mom:is your room clean

kid:mom I got an A on the test,can't you clean it for me

mom:GTF off your lazy ass already 

EA made some good games a long time ago and they just keep milking it for all it's worth.....and they can't tell when it's dry.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

:lol: sorry but I can't help it. it's so funny. it's like they're admittign that they're being bullied by a lot of haters.

good to know that they listen to feedback but as what most people say, unless they act on it, it's still a cr*p. 

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

Listen = they act
Hear = they acnolege it

Seems they're finally hearing now they have listen otherwise it means absolutely nothing.

The problem, guys, is not EA. As Linus said before: the problem is idiots that keep buying EA's crap.

That is, btw, the same problem as Xbox One. Everyone hates it so much, but still everyone keeps buying them.

Just DON'T BUY THEIR CRAP.

The problem, guys, is not EA. As Linus said before: the problem is idiots that keep buying EA's crap.

That is, btw, the same problem as Xbox One. Everyone hates it so much, but still everyone keeps buying them.

Just DON'T BUY THEIR CRAP.

thats not the same, with the xbox you have an alternative like ps4.  EA makes good games that are appeling to many people, where they go wrong are the microtranactions and dont say DRM if on the PC, becuase haveing to put a code in has been there since i remember and you cant sell pc games anyways, i might not buy it at full price but i will get it

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

thats not the same, with the xbox you have an alternative like ps4.  EA makes good games that are appeling to many people, where they go wrong are the microtranactions and dont say DRM if on the PC, becuase haveing to put a code in has been there since i remember and you cant sell pc games anyways, i might not buy it at full price but i will get it

To a certain extent it is the same if EA sees that a certain title makes a lot of money, even after implementing stuff like day one DLC and in game microtransactions and just ripping things out of the game and selling it as pre-order bonus, they will keep on doing it. People can complain all they want but as long as it doesn't threaten their profit they won't listen.

I understand why it's hard not to buy certain games, especially when they're sequels to popular games (such as ME3) or just extremely well marketed or a particular genre which is compelling to you. The same is true for consoles and exclusive titles, people who love Halo will buy an Xbox no matter how much they're complaining now.

So it really comes down on whether you want to stick to your point and not buy the game and hope that many other people do it because otherwise you're ignored anyway and possibly miss out on enjoying the game (unless you pirate it) or shut up and buy the game and love or hate it knowing that you're supporting the publisher and all their schemes. "Stupid" or not I bet most people make part of the second group...

I love EA<3 you guys need to give them another chance

so guys how is everyone doing today? Anyone gonna buy me a cucumber?

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

I never had a problem with EA. I love the games that are publishing. For me EA is the best and strongest video game company in the world right now. You could argue with Activision/Blizzard and other ones but EA has published the better games. The only thing I ever had with EA was the rush to release an unfinished game. Okay so far. Release it, but then don't fuck us up with DLCs that cost half the game's original price. That's it for me. Also never had a problem with Origin. If you guys think Origin EULA is bad, maybe you should take a couple of moments and read Steams EULA. You keep hating Origin when you don't know that everything stated in Origin's EULA are being stated in Steam's as well for years now. EA wants to be liked again. I get it. And if they don't screw those games up, they will be. As for me, I'm really looking forward to those games, suck or not, I'll buy them for old times sake.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

Until they make a not eaed game then I have NO reason to stop hating them:) since so far they eaed every single game they made in sbout the past 5years:(

I never had a problem with EA. I love the games that are publishing. For me EA is the best and strongest video game company in the world right now. You could argue with Activision/Blizzard and other ones but EA has published the better games. The only thing I ever had with EA was the rush to release an unfinished game. Okay so far. Release it, but then don't fuck us up with DLCs that cost half the game's original price. That's it for me. Also never had a problem with Origin. If you guys think Origin EULA is bad, maybe you should take a couple of moments and read Steams EULA. You keep hating Origin when you don't know that everything stated in Origin's EULA are being stated in Steam's as well for years now. EA wants to be liked again. I get it. And if they don't screw those games up, they will be. As for me, I'm really looking forward to those games, suck or not, I'll buy them for old times sake.

What's the problem with Steam EULA other than the "you can't go to court with us" clause?

What's the problem with Steam EULA other than the "you can't go to court with us" clause?

What about if Steam ever shuts down you lose all your games?

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

What about if Steam ever shuts down you lose all your games?

Yeah, I've already respond to that, I can't expect a company to support game when it no longer exist, beside some game are being associated with other service like Steam from their respective editor.

And If Steam (or anyone else) stop the service without being bankrupt it probably won't take long for them to be.

EA, I will buy all of your games right here, right now, but you have to:

-STOP DOING DAY ONE DLC

-No more microtransactions

-Make sport games for PC(NHL, NFL)

-Allow us to create our own servers

-Stop shutting down old game servers

-STOP FORCING ORIGIN DOWN OUR THROATS, I love options and you're not giving me jack shit

-Stop killing off franchises that don't make money when you FUCKED IT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE

Ea can die in a fire until I see all of this changed and KotOR 3 on my door step.